News:

PD.com: We'll make you an offer you can't understand.

Main Menu

Zombies....zombies...

Started by The Dark Monk, July 06, 2012, 06:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Dark Monk

So I heard a new zombie game pokin' around on Steam using the ARMA 2 engine. It's DayZ in which you survive by going into towns, fighting running zombies. You start off on a coast in a fictional I believe Russian island. There you have only 3 things: Painkillers, flashlight, and one bandage, and it is your job to find food, water, and heat-packs to stay alive. You have no normal way of fending off zombies until you reach a town and become lucky enough to find a crowbar, a 9mm pistol, or a hatchet. Sounds easy enough right?
Here's a kicker: Since you start off with no weapon and no means of attack, you must crawl along the ground prone so they do not see or hear you, using tin cans to throw in a direction you want them to investigate away from you. They go to inspect and you finally get into a building, where you see another survivor rooting around the supplies. You realize this survivor has the hatchet you are looking for, and he wants your bandages and painkillers....
Should you bob and weave and avoid the hatchet wielding maniac survivor (Who is another player on servers that hold up to 100 people) you find yourself in the middle of town being chased by not only him, but a horde of zombies whose single strikes can cause you to pass out, become infected, or bleed until death or bandage. You run run run, and there is a hidden survivor as assholish as the one you are trying to avoid, who has been further inland to military bases and has found himself a cz550 sniper rifle....
Through all of that should you happen to get away, and you have lost the zombies running in and out of buildings, the hatchet man taken down by the sniper who is now training his sights on you but you are safe for a bit inside of a building, you notice that you are becoming increasingly dehydrated, your stomach is rumbling, and you feel as if you are going to pass out from thirst and hunger...
In the corner is a can of pasta and a can of coke, after this can opened meal you again bob and weave while prone avoiding zombies and sniper fire to a supply shed across the street and find yourself a makarov pistol...
A zombie follows you in and you take him out, proud that you finally have a weapon, and the horde hears your gunshots, the sniper hears your gunshots, there's only one way out. You get struck, you bleed, but there's too many zombies to patch yourself up so you run out around the grabbing arms, a trail of blood following you as a bullet enters your skull...

You find yourself on the coast, with bandages, painkillers and a flashlight...
I thought this is all there is,
but now I know you are so much more.
I want to upgrade from my simple eight bits,
but will you still love me when I'm sixty-four?
~MIAB~

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That sounds like a good one! Possibly, though, the starting from the beginning will get tedious after a while. Better if you could start from the beginning with one of the other items, so you could play through as different characters every time you awake.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Dark Monk

It randomizes what your character looks like, and if you log out and log back in to any server with the mod, you start exactly where you left and with what items you had, the only time you start from scratch is if you die. Also, if you die you can possibly find your body again and get your things if it hasnt been looted already, ie: zombies killing you and not players. I also run around with a friend so we can heal eachother on top of if we die we get the important items and meet back up
I thought this is all there is,
but now I know you are so much more.
I want to upgrade from my simple eight bits,
but will you still love me when I'm sixty-four?
~MIAB~