News:

I know you said that you wouldn't tolerate excuses, but I have a real good one.

Main Menu

Zombies....zombies...

Started by The Dark Monk, July 06, 2012, 06:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Dark Monk

I'm not sure if a good majority of people here are zombie fans, though I am curious to know what everyone's opinion of Walking Dead s1-2 has been, as I am anticipating season 3 as it seems a go for AT+T has renewed it's contract.

Also, favorite zombies of all time, movies, manga, stories, anything zombie ^.^

Before Walking Dead, the major zombie oriented show I watched was High School of the Dead which I believe has the entire series on youtube. Slow, blind zombies, anime both subbed and dubbed, gratuitous nudity in the traditional horror-movie spurts, all in all not bad. No mutations like in RE or parasites, no mutations, just unending hordes. 
I thought this is all there is,
but now I know you are so much more.
I want to upgrade from my simple eight bits,
but will you still love me when I'm sixty-four?
~MIAB~

LMNO

Season 1 was good, season 2 dragged the fuck on.  GET OFF THE FARM, ALREADY!

The Dark Monk

I'm wondering how the new characters will develop, according to EW which did a short article on it and revealing new posters, there will be two new major characters that will come into play. Should explain the helicopter as well, maybe an explanation as to why the zombies are there in the first place. I can't wait for it  :fap:
I thought this is all there is,
but now I know you are so much more.
I want to upgrade from my simple eight bits,
but will you still love me when I'm sixty-four?
~MIAB~

Elder Iptuous

i liked season two.  it had plenty of 'holy fuck' moments.  eagerly awaiting season three to be released on the torrents. (i always wait till a season is done before i watch a show.)

the wife and i were just watching high school of the dead last week.  i hadn't watched a fanboy anime in a while (i guess desert punk, maybe?)  but for zombies, i'll make an exception.  it wasn't bad.

kingyak

I've only seen the first season. I thought it was well-done, but the ending seemed a little rushed.

My main response to the show was "I really should have kept in touch with Robert Kirkman after we stopped working together," but that's been my response to a lot of things over the last decade or so. Who expected the goofy high school kid from Cynthiana to become the darling of the geek world?
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-HST

Cain

I can't watch it.  I cannot see Andrew Lincoln acting in any way responsible, not after Teachers.  The idea that Simon would be entrusted with anything more complex than grading in the pub is too horrible to contemplate

LMNO

Quote from: kingyak on July 06, 2012, 07:29:16 PM
I've only seen the first season. I thought it was well-done, but the ending seemed a little rushed.

My main response to the show was "I really should have kept in touch with Robert Kirkman after we stopped working together," but that's been my response to a lot of things over the last decade or so. Who expected the goofy high school kid from Cynthiana to become the darling of the geek world?

I think you dropped something in that post back there...

kingyak

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 06, 2012, 07:35:46 PM
Quote from: kingyak on July 06, 2012, 07:29:16 PM

I think you dropped something in that post back there...

It helps keep the bitterness from overwhelming me.

hooplala

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on July 06, 2012, 07:23:44 PM
i liked season two.  it had plenty of 'holy fuck' moments. 

There were?  Name a couple... I seem to have forgotten them.

I loved the first season, and loathed the second season.  Wife and I stopped watching the last few episodes... it got a to a point where nothing would happen in the entire episode, and then they would toss something at you in the last ten minutes.  No thanks, had enough of that with Lost.  I will give the 3rd season a try, since I hear from fans of the comic there have been hints of great things on the horizon.

As for zombie movie picks, obviously the first Dawn of the Dead, but if you haven't seen a small Canadian movie named Pontypool, it is well worth it.  Elain's psychiatrist boyfriend from Sienfeld is the main character, there is hardly any gore or violence at all, but it wonderful.

Speaking of zombie movies, *cough cough* : http://blip.tv/rexbologna/rex-bologna-reviews-gangs-of-the-dead-6239277  (sorry, couldn't resist)
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

kingyak

Zombie movie recommendations: The obvious Romero stuff (especially Dawn and Night), Zombie Strippers, Cemetery Man, Fido (although it's one where the execution didn't quite live up to the concept).

Cain

HAY GUYZ HAVE U HEARD ABOUT THIS GR8 BOOK, IT'S CALLED "WORLD WAR Z"????  :wink: :p :fnord: :? :eek:

hooplala

Quote from: Cain on July 06, 2012, 08:42:58 PM
HAY GUYZ HAVE U HEARD ABOUT THIS GR8 BOOK, IT'S CALLED "WORLD WAR Z"????  :wink: :p :fnord: :? :eek:

LOL.  Was I the only one who found it boring?

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Cain

No.  I mean, it was OK I guess.... To be honest, the whole "zombies as a cultural phenomenon" thing annoys me very slightly.  I don't know why.  I'm not inclined to think about it much.  It just does.  Certain individual productions are alright, but there does seem to be some kind of desperate need to shoehorn zombies into all the things for the past couple of years, and it's a bit stale, really.

One day, cannibals will no doubt make a comeback, and I'll find them just as annoying.

kingyak

Both of Brooks' zombie books were the kind of thing where the basic premise (a field guide to surviving the zombie apocalypse/Studs Terkel covers the zombie apocalypse) is a good one, but in order to actually do it correctly you kind of have to end up with a book that's kind of boring.

For fun zombie novels, I recommend Pariah by Bob Fingerman (the guy who did the Minimum Wage comic).

hooplala

Quote from: Cain on July 06, 2012, 08:50:14 PM
No.  I mean, it was OK I guess.... To be honest, the whole "zombies as a cultural phenomenon" thing annoys me very slightly.  I don't know why.  I'm not inclined to think about it much.  It just does.  Certain individual productions are alright, but there does seem to be some kind of desperate need to shoehorn zombies into all the things for the past couple of years, and it's a bit stale, really.

One day, cannibals will no doubt make a comeback, and I'll find them just as annoying.

I hate it for purely hipster reasons... I admit it.  15 years ago nobody I knew talked about zombie movies, just me and my cousin.... then 28 Days Later and BOOM... its everywhere.  My secret love became worldwide popular... it stung.  It's a babyish reason, but its honest and there it is.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman