News:

Urgh, this is what I hate about PD.com, it is the only site in existence where a perfectly good spam thread can be misused for high quality discussions.  I hate you all.

Main Menu

Nostalgic Music thread (separate from what are you listening to)

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, July 13, 2012, 11:18:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

I mostly listened to soundtracks from movies I liked when I was a kid. Then Appetite For Destruction dropped and became the first big shove towards turning me into who I am.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Suu

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 13, 2012, 02:57:07 PM
There are a few.  I'll take this from the standpoint, "when did you start listening to stuff other people weren't listening to?"

The first move away was slight1.  I always liked George Harrison songs more than the Lennon/McCartney stuff.  Tame, I know.  But that led me to Yes which is pretentious shite, but I loved that shit, as it appealed to my budding "difficult music" side (and eventually led to King Crimson, mathcore, et al.  But this is about the first song to shift personal paradigms.

So, I was doing Art Rock for a while, and then I was introduced to something that blew my head off.2.  There wasn't much going back after that, especially when I heard the best punk band, ever.  Sure, I kept my pretentious art wankery around, because I still liked the technique and musicality. 

But everything changed when I heard the album that changed everything3.  You had the ideology of punk, and the art rock sensibility.  You had anti-authoritarian lyrics, but they were well thought out, not just yelling.  You had melodic and harmonic skills, but recorded on a shoestring.  This is the album that showed me you could be a punk drummer, and yet use artsy techniques to deliver.

The art punk thing took a dark turn4 which really got a hold of me (and Nick has never gotten tiresome since).  That led me to the goth thing, and then the three major elements (punk, art, goth) came together

Everything since has been commentary.

1 1981
2 1984
3 1989
4 1992

The fact you posted my favorite Beatles song AND favorite Yes song in the same post makes me thing we need to drink bourbon and listen to music together sometime. Or that we need to get out of each others heads. Or something.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

East Coast Hustle

The fact that you guys HAVE a favorite Beatles and/or Yes song is cause for concern. :lulz:

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

Suu

Quote from: Echo Chamber Music on July 13, 2012, 07:16:40 PM
The fact that you guys HAVE a favorite Beatles and/or Yes song is cause for concern. :lulz:

WHY MUST YOU ALWAYS STEP?!

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Echo Chamber Music on July 13, 2012, 07:16:40 PM

This.

Yes sucks.  I liked the Beatles when I was a kid, but they haven't aged well with me.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Suu

Oh, also classic rock?

This:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if-UzXIQ5vw

I'll have a cup for your dentures and a walker on standby, gentlemen.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Suu on July 13, 2012, 07:59:08 PM
Oh, also classic rock?

This:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if-UzXIQ5vw

I'll have a cup for your dentures and a walker on standby, gentlemen.

Can't see youtube.  What is it?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Suu

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Suu on July 13, 2012, 08:02:38 PM
Losing My Religion.

HAR!  Noob.

Classic Rock = Elton John (70s stuff), The Rolling Stones,  Dr Hook & The Medicine Show, Jefferson Airplane, and every shitty 60s-70s band found in every jukebox in every shithole dive found in America.

I was already a junior NCO when Losing My Religion came out.

East Coast Hustle

Wouldn't REM have to be rock in the first place to be classic rock? :lulz:

Suu

Quote from: The Dead Reverend Roger on July 13, 2012, 08:05:39 PM
Quote from: Suu on July 13, 2012, 08:02:38 PM
Losing My Religion.

HAR!  Noob.

Classic Rock = Elton John (70s stuff), The Rolling Stones,  Dr Hook & The Medicine Show, Jefferson Airplane, and every shitty 60s-70s band found in every jukebox in every shithole dive found in America.

I was already a junior NCO when Losing My Religion came out.

Well, yes. That's part of my argument. What you list is what I KNOW as classic rock. Now they're giving that label to everything before 1995, which I think puts every track on the Empire Records OST in the running.

LMNO

In the mid/late 80s, I was listening to the "classic rock" station (because "alternative" was only being played on college radio, and I was nowhere near a college).  They played Zepplin, The Who, The Animals.. Basically, the British Invasion and anyone who played at Woodstock.  I roughly peg that at about a 20-year window (~'65 to ~'85)

The thing is, that window kept moving.  I was actually shocked when I heard the Police on a "classic rock" station.  Since then, any band that's been around for about 20 years is fair game: U2, The Knack, Blondie, Talking Heads...

East Coast Hustle

LALALALALA I'M STILL 17 YEARS OLD AND I CAN'T HEAR YOU, OLD MAN!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Echo Chamber Music on July 13, 2012, 08:59:40 PM
LALALALALA I'M STILL 17 YEARS OLD AND I CAN'T HEAR YOU, OLD MAN!

:lulz:

Honestly, though, I wouldn't be 17 years old again if you paid me.