News:

Living proof that any damn fool can make things more complex

Main Menu

Nostalgic Music thread (separate from what are you listening to)

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, July 13, 2012, 11:18:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMIX

Quote from: The Dead Reverend Roger on July 13, 2012, 09:01:25 PM
Quote from: Echo Chamber Music on July 13, 2012, 08:59:40 PM
LALALALALA I'M STILL 17 YEARS OLD AND I CAN'T HEAR YOU, OLD MAN!

:lulz:

Honestly, though, I wouldn't be 17 years old again if you paid me.

It might explain his taste in music though  :wink:

Once upon a time I owned a little tea room and I used to play a lot of jazz and stuff and this was one of my favourites. It got played a lot more than the others because I always found something magical about Bing Crosby's delicious bass-baritone singing the lyrics of

There Ain't No Sweet Man That's Worth The Salt Of My Tears

Shaking like a leaf on a tree 
That's coming loose from the stem 
Shaking like a leaf on a tree 
Because I'm coming loose from my man 

I'm like a weeping willow 
Weeping on my pillow 
For years & years 
There ain't no sweet man 
That's worth the salt of my tears 

Down & down he dragged me 
Like a fiend he nagged me 
For years & years 
There ain't no sweet man 
[ Lyrics from: worth+the+salt+of+my+tears_20488556.html ] 
Although I may be blue 
Still I'm through 
I must tell him goodbye 
Rather than have that man 
Gonna lay me down & just die 

So, broken-hearted sisters 
Aggravating misters 
Lend me your ears 
There ain't no sweet man 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA2ygiOKNAc

I once got a thankyou letter from a passing holidaymaker addressed to "Ms Bix Beiderbecke", and all I did was bake him some scones, make him a nice cuppa and play him some classy tracks.
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Dead Reverend Roger on July 13, 2012, 08:05:39 PM
Quote from: Suu on July 13, 2012, 08:02:38 PM
Losing My Religion.

HAR!  Noob.

Classic Rock = Elton John (70s stuff), The Rolling Stones,  Dr Hook & The Medicine Show, Jefferson Airplane, and every shitty 60s-70s band found in every jukebox in every shithole dive found in America.

I was already a junior NCO when Losing My Religion came out.

Something like this. Jukeboxes and radio, before radio totally sucked. Sir Douglas Quintet from early childhood till the day I die. Texas garage psyche and bluesy shit, burned a lot of sleep when I was a kid listening to underground radio in the wee hours...13th Floor Elevators, Johnny Winter, the works. I used to like the Beatles too but you're right, a lot of their stuff sounds weak now. I'm never gonna forgive Paul for "Another Day", that guy could scream like Little Richard and he threw it away to do a bunch of lame shit. Country was unavoidable and I tried to hate it because at our school you could either be a hippie or a shitkicker, but I ended up secretly liking a lot of it (probably one of my first lessons that I was never going to fit in). Old Who (Keith Moon!), Stones, Cooper, Trapeze, Trower, Floyd, Zep (Zep hasn't aged well either, I've been completely burned out on it for years). No disco but P-Funk was great. Probably a lot of others I can't recall at the moment.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Dead Reverend Roger on July 13, 2012, 09:01:25 PM
Quote from: Echo Chamber Music on July 13, 2012, 08:59:40 PM
LALALALALA I'M STILL 17 YEARS OLD AND I CAN'T HEAR YOU, OLD MAN!

:lulz:

Honestly, though, I wouldn't be 17 years old again if you paid me.

I wouldn't be 17 NOW if you paid me to. We could get away with stuff.

AFK

Quote from: Echo Chamber Music on July 13, 2012, 08:12:13 PM
Wouldn't REM have to be rock in the first place to be classic rock? :lulz:

REM were absolutely Rock and Roll.  Quirky rock and roll for sure. 

Not to mention, when everyone was going plaid and fuzzed out grunge guitars in 1992, they put out Automatic For the People which was a quiet, retrained, yet every bit as powerful album.  They've done things their way for pretty much their entire career despite trends and label pressure.

That's pretty Rock and Roll in my book.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

East Coast Hustle

They're trite college pop. And Peter Buck is a fuckburger.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Nephew Twiddleton

Ce matin when i was prepare pour le voyager a providence i remember un chanson from many years ago. I remember une lyrique and i google it. Le chanson is called "if i were a... I'd" by how you say... Le Fishbone? Think like brady bunch eat wendys pour lunch.... They do four times on l'album. This one is track deux. But i am on le tren now and cannot regarde a youtube.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Bruce Twiddleton on July 14, 2012, 10:41:26 PM
Ce matin when i was prepare pour le voyager a providence i remember un chanson from many years ago. I remember une lyrique and i google it. Le chanson is called "if i were a... I'd" by how you say... Le Fishbone? Think like brady bunch eat wendys pour lunch.... They do four times on l'album. This one is track deux. But i am on le tren now and cannot regarde a youtube.

Ne sonne pas une ding-a-ling. Tout ce que je peux appeler à l'esprit est Johnny Cash "If I Were A Carpenter" ... certainement pas The Brady Bunch à Wendy.

Nephew Twiddleton

Ill post le link later. They apparently had an album named after a line in the principia discordia.

E.O.T.

Quote from: The Dead Reverend Roger on July 13, 2012, 07:52:12 PM
Quote from: Echo Chamber Music on July 13, 2012, 07:16:40 PM
The fact that you guys HAVE a favorite Beatles and/or Yes song is cause for concern. :lulz:

This.

Yes sucks.  I liked the Beatles when I was a kid, but they haven't aged well with me.

I CAN

respect and enjoy the beatles, but it's like christmas music at this point.
"a good fight justifies any cause"

E.O.T.

MAN,

i'd blab here forever, music has always marked events and time periods for me, however I'm currently sentimental about

LADY PANK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6raFS_dxns

MARC ALMOND

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y36x3YKH7gY

JUDAS PRIEST

this is an amazing recorded performance of "victim of changes" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXqb_3fR6Ok

EINSTURZENDE NEUBAUTEN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUHCl4TUdTA

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

There was a period of time in my early 20's in which every mixtape I received from a boy had Einsturzende Neubauten on it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

E.O.T.

Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on July 15, 2012, 12:06:25 AM
There was a period of time in my early 20's in which every mixtape I received from a boy had Einsturzende Neubauten on it.

YOU KNOW,

lots of guys have tried to save nigel, but still she listens to fiona apple. you bitches are just determined

Nephew Twiddleton