News:

TESTAMONIAL:  "I was still a bit rattled by the spectacular devastation."

Main Menu

Seriously, NOW where is the Youtube thread?

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, July 17, 2012, 06:33:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

OH FOR FUCK SAKE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FznW6vVM7es   

QuoteMaster Naba Lamoussa Morodenibig, Dogon High Priest and founder of the Earth Center shares his wisdom in this clip from his lecture on the Sidereal Calendar and Time Division. He reveals science as a political tool used by governments to push their agenda of dominating their populations.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Bu🤠ns

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Bu☆ns on September 21, 2013, 06:24:20 PM
Louis C.K. Hates Cell Phones

Hahaha I love how old people project themselves into kids. That cell phone obsession thing is totally a technology immigrant thing, kids who are raised with cell phones aren't obsessed like that.

Salty

Quote from: Mean Mister Nigel on September 21, 2013, 07:16:20 PM

Hahaha I love how old people project themselves into kids. That cell phone obsession thing is totally a technology immigrant thing, kids who are raised with cell phones aren't obsessed like that.

This thing keeps making the rounds. It got a whole isolated post on Naked Capitalism, FFS. I'm pretty sure I don't give a fuck about what that guy thinks about anything.

Plus, I refuse to see those things as anything less than, as Warren Ellis put it, god damned wizardry at our fingertips.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Alty on September 23, 2013, 03:50:37 AM

This thing keeps making the rounds. It got a whole isolated post on Naked Capitalism, FFS. I'm pretty sure I don't give a fuck about what that guy thinks about anything.

Plus, I refuse to see those things as anything less than, as Warren Ellis put it, god damned wizardry at our fingertips.

It's basically exactly the same as all old people projecting on and railing against young people ever through all time.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

If old people would just embrace that they are getting old and falling apart and decaying and their mental acuity and physical senses are starting to go, making the world seem confusing and hostile, instead of trying to insist that it's really that young people suck, everybody would get along much better.

Bu🤠ns

Being in IT, I too agree with Warren Ellis.

It's just that this thing hits home because I have two kids who love technology and it's everything I can do to get their asses outside and off the computers.  I'm not sure about Louis C.K. because I haven't ever seen his stand-up, but when I hear anyone going on a rant about kids and technology, I have a tendency to chuckle understandingly. 

Cramulus

I liked that bit -- I don't think that Louis is really talking about kids. But he makes a good point about how distracting these pervasive technologies are. They have a way of hijacking our internal monologues. We use them to fill in the in-between moments moments, but sometimes it's worth spending some time there.

Right after Obama was inaugurated, I remember some reporter asking him if he had any advice for people. He said he recommended taking a little time each day to just sit and be by yourself and not be distracted by anything. Let your phone sit, don't work on anything, just take a few minutes every day to think about things. Louis gets a bit dramatic about it, but I think that's the guts of what he's saying.

I also agree with his rant about how kids should learn to be social animals through face to face interactions. It's so much easier to be irresponsible when you don't have to look somebody in the face.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cramulus on September 23, 2013, 02:28:23 PM
I liked that bit -- I don't think that Louis is really talking about kids. But he makes a good point about how distracting these pervasive technologies are. They have a way of hijacking our internal monologues. We use them to fill in the in-between moments moments, but sometimes it's worth spending some time there.

Right after Obama was inaugurated, I remember some reporter asking him if he had any advice for people. He said he recommended taking a little time each day to just sit and be by yourself and not be distracted by anything. Let your phone sit, don't work on anything, just take a few minutes every day to think about things. Louis gets a bit dramatic about it, but I think that's the guts of what he's saying.

I also agree with his rant about how kids should learn to be social animals through face to face interactions. It's so much easier to be irresponsible when you don't have to look somebody in the face.

If he's talking about adults, then he's right. Adults, especially older adults but really anyone who didn't grow up with these technologies, are so hopelessly enthralled by them and by their ability to check for IMPORTANT INCOMING MESSAGES that they do it constantly.

Kids, on the other hand, are as likely as not to leave their phone at home or let the batteries go dead, a scenario that would send adults into a frenzy of panic. Kids also don't have this thing where they HAVE TO CHECK THEIR EMAIL seventeen times a day. They treat it like we treat mail... they check once a day, call it good. Whatever's in there will wait, no need to be INSTANTLY AVAILABLE for everyone's whims.

As for being mean electronically... yes, kids do that. So do adults. Kids also have no problem doing it face to face. What I have seen with kids is that if they are going to develop empathy for others, they do so regardless of whether they are interacting electronically, and are LESS likely than adults to pull that "just pixels on a screen" bullshit, because they grew up using these media to communicate.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Bu☆ns on September 23, 2013, 01:00:54 PM

Being in IT, I too agree with Warren Ellis.

It's just that this thing hits home because I have two kids who love technology and it's everything I can do to get their asses outside and off the computers.  I'm not sure about Louis C.K. because I haven't ever seen his stand-up, but when I hear anyone going on a rant about kids and technology, I have a tendency to chuckle understandingly. 

I take a much less authoritarian tact with my own kids. They do not get limited or rationed computer or TV time. They must meet certain requirements (like "your homework must be done," etc.) but aside from the basics, their time is their time. It's surprising to see that giving them the leeway to decide for themselves what to do -- to the bemusement and slack-jawed horror of the Parenting Experts™ -- actually results in them going outside a lot more than I ever did when I was their age, and fanciest technology in my house back then was the doorbell.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.