News:

Attempting to do something

Main Menu

Seriously, NOW where is the Youtube thread?

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, July 17, 2012, 06:33:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: V3X on September 23, 2013, 05:05:43 PM
Quote from: Bu☆ns on September 23, 2013, 01:00:54 PM
Quote from: Alty on September 23, 2013, 03:50:37 AM
Quote from: Mean Mister Nigel on September 21, 2013, 07:16:20 PM
Quote from: Bu☆ns on September 21, 2013, 06:24:20 PM
Louis C.K. Hates Cell Phones

Hahaha I love how old people project themselves into kids. That cell phone obsession thing is totally a technology immigrant thing, kids who are raised with cell phones aren't obsessed like that.

This thing keeps making the rounds. It got a whole isolated post on Naked Capitalism, FFS. I'm pretty sure I don't give a fuck about what that guy thinks about anything.

Plus, I refuse to see those things as anything less than, as Warren Ellis put it, god damned wizardry at our fingertips.

Being in IT, I too agree with Warren Ellis.

It's just that this thing hits home because I have two kids who love technology and it's everything I can do to get their asses outside and off the computers.  I'm not sure about Louis C.K. because I haven't ever seen his stand-up, but when I hear anyone going on a rant about kids and technology, I have a tendency to chuckle understandingly. 

I take a much less authoritarian tact with my own kids. They do not get limited or rationed computer or TV time. They must meet certain requirements (like "your homework must be done," etc.) but aside from the basics, their time is their time. It's surprising to see that giving them the leeway to decide for themselves what to do -- to the bemusement and slack-jawed horror of the Parenting Experts™ -- actually results in them going outside a lot more than I ever did when I was their age, and fanciest technology in my house back then was the doorbell.

Yeah, I find that not limiting it causes them to not see it as all that precious.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bu🤠ns

Hahaha I love how old people project themselves into kids. That cell phone obsession thing is totally a technology immigrant thing, kids who are raised with cell phones aren't obsessed like that.

This thing keeps making the rounds. It got a whole isolated post on Naked Capitalism, FFS. I'm pretty sure I don't give a fuck about what that guy thinks about anything.

Plus, I refuse to see those things as anything less than, as Warren Ellis put it, god damned wizardry at our fingertips.

It's just that this thing hits home because I have two kids who love technology and it's everything I can do to get their asses outside and off the computers.  I'm not sure about Louis C.K. because I haven't ever seen his stand-up, but when I hear anyone going on a rant about kids and technology, I have a tendency to chuckle understandingly. 

I take a much less authoritarian tact with my own kids. They do not get limited or rationed computer or TV time. They must meet certain requirements (like "your homework must be done," etc.) but aside from the basics, their time is their time. It's surprising to see that giving them the leeway to decide for themselves what to do -- to the bemusement and slack-jawed horror of the Parenting Experts™ -- actually results in them going outside a lot more than I ever did when I was their age, and fanciest technology in my house back then was the doorbell.

That's cool...I wish that were the case.  I ended up having to set limits on their computer time and tv time because when we did give them free time to do what they want they'll have a tendency to just migrate to the tv or the computer.  My son would end up just rushing through his homework, making it all sloppy and half-assed just to get to the free time faster.  So, for right now we're just limiting media during the school week and allowing free time during the weekends.  So far it seems to be redirecting focus. 

tyrannosaurus vex

I also have a script that changes the computer's hosts file so everything he tries to do redirects him to Teletubbies.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Bu☆ns on September 24, 2013, 12:34:38 PM

That's cool...I wish that were the case.  I ended up having to set limits on their computer time and tv time because when we did give them free time to do what they want they'll have a tendency to just migrate to the tv or the computer.  My son would end up just rushing through his homework, making it all sloppy and half-assed just to get to the free time faster.  So, for right now we're just limiting media during the school week and allowing free time during the weekends.  So far it seems to be redirecting focus.

It probably helps my case that I have four kids and one extra computer. Good luck with that, kids. You have from 4 to 11, and you have to take turns.

You may resolve disputes over time by fighting it out, but you have to do it somewhere it won't bother me, ie. not in my office where the computer is located. HAVE FUN WITH THAT.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cramulus

http://www.lasagnacat.com/    :lulz: :lulz:

this guy has been making live reenactments of of Garfield comics, filmed with actors in body suits, and with a laugh track.

Following the comic, he does a super sappy music video. For example, in a comic where Garfield and Odie hug, he follows with the song Ebony and Ivory, with slow-mo recaps of the hug.

it is surreal, and much like Garfield Minus Garfield, underscores just how unfunny Garfield comics are.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cramulus on September 25, 2013, 07:34:03 PM

http://www.lasagnacat.com/    :lulz: :lulz:

this guy has been making live reenactments of of Garfield comics, filmed with actors in body suits, and with a laugh track.

Following the comic, he does a super sappy music video. For example, in a comic where Garfield and Odie hug, he follows with the song Ebony and Ivory, with slow-mo recaps of the hug.

it is surreal, and much like Garfield Minus Garfield, underscores just how unfunny Garfield comics are.

SWEET MERCIFUL FUCK that is weird. And brilliant.  :eek:

Cramulus

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cramulus on September 26, 2013, 04:16:25 PM
on the same note as Louis CK hating cell phones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OINa46HeWg8

I do think it's hilarious how after class every student on campus checks their phones on the way to their next class. Including me.

My last boyfriend brought his phone into the bedroom, which I find awful. I mean, just no. The phone stays downstairs unless you're actually on call.

But I also think that people get all uptight about cell phones for stupid reasons, like the whole "texting while walking" thing. You want me to not multitask? CHANGE AMERICA SO I DON'T HAVE TO BE AS BUSY JUST TO SURVIVE. I would love it!

tyrannosaurus vex

I have no problem with people burying themselves in their tech, as long as it doesn't make them any worse at driving than they already are. It is the Future™, after all. What do you expect? We have gadgets now. I'm sorry that Louis CK is hung up on the Good Old Days of polite conversation and remaining bored when you don't have to be, but such is the way of progress. If there are people more interesting to me that you are on the other end of a little screen, well, I guess that means you're not keeping up with the competition. Your problem, not mine. There's time to be polite these days anyway.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Cramulus

A compilation of Bad Ass Kids.

This is from the Maury Povich show. They get some problematic 9 year old to go "I drink, I smoke, and I call my mom a bee-yotch"---and then do a show about it.

This youtube clip is a compilation of those bad ass kids telling the camera how bad they are.

What tickles me most is the camera work. Look at how the camera wobbles back and forth when these kids are doing their shtick, as if the viewer's head is reeling from these little renegades.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Mesozoic Mister Nigel