News:

That line from the father's song in Mary Poppins, where he's going on about how nothing can go wrong, in Britain in 1910.  That's about the point I realized the boy was gonna die in a trench.

Main Menu

Introductions, part V: Don't Say We Never Warned You.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, July 18, 2012, 05:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McGrupp

Hello, new guy here. 

Full disclosure: I admit I was drawn to this and other websites by the possibility of getting to feel mildly smug and potentially getting to wear a special hat.

That said, as I read more the hat thing went to the backburner.  Still not sure what to think of Discordianism, but I can't help feeling simultaneously drawn to and repelled by it.

In any case, I'll be around lurking but I did want to poke my head in and say hello.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: McGrupp on February 25, 2013, 05:10:55 PM
Hello, new guy here. 

Full disclosure: I admit I was drawn to this and other websites by the possibility of getting to feel mildly smug and potentially getting to wear a special hat.

We have those.  Personally, I prefer a hockey helmet, firmly strapped to my head, for those moments when I feel smug.  Because "smug" is almost uniformly followed by "DERP", and I am one smug bastard.

QuoteThat said, as I read more the hat thing went to the backburner.  Still not sure what to think of Discordianism, but I can't help feeling simultaneously drawn to and repelled by it.

You'll fit right in.  Watch out for ECH and Nigel, though.  They are BAD PEOPLE and they are NOT on YOUR SIDE.

QuoteIn any case, I'll be around lurking but I did want to poke my head in and say hello.

Lurking here is sort of like standing next to an olympic pool in February, waiting for the 100 meter event to begin.  What you have to do is, you have to jump in that motherfucker and start swimming laps.  People may join you.  Yes, you'll all get hypothermia and DIE, but isn't that a small price to pay?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

insideout

Hello, new guy here. 

That said, as I read more the hat thing went to the backburner.  Still not sure what to think of Discordianism, but I can't help feeling simultaneously drawn to and repelled by it.

In any case, I'll be around lurking but I did want to poke my head in and say hello.
Here's a special hat for ya:

welcome.

Eater of Clowns

Hello, new guy here. 

If you're only repelled by it and not repulsed then we're not doing our jobs.

Welcome to PD.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Hello, new guy here. 

Hey there, new guy!

You've already done three things right, so you're alright in my book.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Jez

Hi there.

I am newblood.  I'm one of those creepy people who lurks about for ages before actually joining, so I know enough not to scream and flail about when you call me on my bullshit.

I just started attending college again.  There were a lot of years between my first year and now, so I'm one of those irritating shits that think my experience in the actual world gives me insight into The Way Things AreTM.  I'm working on Bachelor's degrees in Criminal Justice and Political Science on my way to law school.  I'm hoping hanging out with you lot will help me laugh at the system while learning what I can do to fix some small part of it and not losing my mind the longer I look into the abyss.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jez on March 01, 2013, 06:43:54 PM
Hi there.

I am newblood.  I'm one of those creepy people who lurks about for ages before actually joining, so I know enough not to scream and flail about when you call me on my bullshit.

I just started attending college again.  There were a lot of years between my first year and now, so I'm one of those irritating shits that think my experience in the actual world gives me insight into The Way Things AreTM.  I'm working on Bachelor's degrees in Criminal Justice and Political Science on my way to law school.  I'm hoping hanging out with you lot will help me laugh at the system while learning what I can do to fix some small part of it and not losing my mind the longer I look into the abyss.

Looking into the abyss isn't actually a problem, you'll find.  It's the whole "wallowing about in it" that tends to bring out that "HA HA HA NOW I'LL NEVER GET THIS SHIRT CLEAN!" feeling.

And if you're going into criminal law, that's essentially what's out there.  May I suggest that you enter on the prosecutorial side?  You can do more good there...What America needs is more DAs with a sense of what's really a crime, and what is just another poor slob being tipped into the system.  Of course, at first, you won't get much say in that, but eventually you may be able to make a difference.

In any case, welcome aboard.  Try not to get anything on your shoes.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

I'm one of those creepy people who lurks about for ages before actually joining, so I know enough not to scream and flail about when you call me on my bullshit.

My estimation of you is quite good, simply because of that.

"So don't fuck it up."
                   \

Jez

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 01, 2013, 06:47:28 PM
And if you're going into criminal law, that's essentially what's out there.  May I suggest that you enter on the prosecutorial side?  You can do more good there...What America needs is more DAs with a sense of what's really a crime, and what is just another poor slob being tipped into the system.  Of course, at first, you won't get much say in that, but eventually you may be able to make a difference.

That's the plan.  I'm also hoping to do some good by being able to help juries distinguish between actual mitigating circumstances and emotional manipulations by defense attorneys.

The ultimate goal is to be an appellate judge.  I'm pretty good at being able to see things from many angles at once.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jez on March 01, 2013, 07:20:18 PM

That's the plan.  I'm also hoping to do some good by being able to help juries distinguish between actual mitigating circumstances and emotional manipulations by defense attorneys.

The ultimate goal is to be an appellate judge.  I'm pretty good at being able to see things from many angles at once.

Wow.  I like ambition.

As for emotional appeals, I've noticed they come in two flavors.

1.  The defendant has no excuse, no explanation.  He/she was fucking DUMB, and now knows just HOW dumb.  This is essentially a cry for mercy from some witless slob that shit the bed and doesn't know what to do.  And his lawyer?  He's doing his job.  If you have no defense, cry a bunch.

2.  REAL assholes, who are cynically manipulating the jury system.  Domestic violence repeat offenders are particularly good at this.  Hang the bastards higher than Haman.

You'll know the difference.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Hi there.

Hey there, new guy!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Q. G. Pennyworth

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Freeky

Quote from: Jez on March 01, 2013, 07:20:18 PM

Greetings, Jez. :3

Nast

I pop in and out of this board so frequently that I feel that it hardly merits a post to announce that I found my way back, but I wanted to express my gratitude that this board has provided me with so many diverting things to read while I lay through the three days of throat infection and insomnia. For awhile there I was on the verge of taking up knitting again to fill the long void-like hours, but then I realized how much knitting infuriates me so I thought of coming back to you spags instead. Love you all!
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."