News:

PD.com: We occur at random among your children.

Main Menu

Introductions, part V: Don't Say We Never Warned You.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, July 18, 2012, 05:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Nah, this place is pretty much falling apart at the seams.

How's things, Raphaella?

Raphaella

Things is good Cain. It's nice to be back. There are a lot of awesome things going on down in Bring and Brag. I love to see Creative Chaos flourishing. Looks like you have set up quite the Video Game Thread. I'll have to check it out in depth soon. You been sinking this ship? Tearing shit up? So... it's all pretty much the same lol  :wink:
The sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon into blood before the coming of the great and terrible OZ

Cain

I actually need to upgrade my graphics card.  It's not doing so well with all this new-gen crap.  Witcher 3 basically melted my HD :( and DARGON AGE Inquisition was pretty rough until they rolled out the graphics patches (on EA's end...it was still pretty terrible after Nvidia released their update).

Raphaella

Are you sure it was not just he ungodly heat of your flat? I heard it's been hot there. I need to branch out and play more PC games. I started Skyrim and then I got to a certain point and just meh'ed out. I have been playing a game called Don't Starve Together, it's pretty neat. Have you played Elder Scrolls online? If so, would you recommend it?
The sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon into blood before the coming of the great and terrible OZ

Cain

Well, that wasn't helping, but no, the GTX 660 simply isn't designed for this sort of stuff, despite the amount of optimization I've done with it.

Skyrim is great...modded.  If you have it on PC, I strongly recommend it, especially if you have a beastly rig.  ESO...I've not gotten very far into it, but it's much better than it was, by all accounts.  It is still, of course, an MMO at heart, but it can be easy to forget that at times, and Zenimax have not shyed away from the wierder elements of the series (which as a Morrowind fan I do like).  In fact, if you believe the lore-nerds on reddit, it's actually made several quite interesting additions to that aspect of the Elder Scrolls.

Raphaella

I do have a pretty good rig but it's set up in the living room on the big screen with the wireless keyboard and mouse. Mostly we use it as a glorified movie machine, or NetFlix box... Have not modded Skyrim, but I am now keen to try our Elder scrolls. Thanks for the info. Sorry to hear about your melty parts tho. 

LMNO

Quote from: Theodore Rosenheimer III on July 10, 2015, 03:58:03 AM
Quote from: Cain on July 09, 2015, 07:50:00 PM
No.  Another special snowflake decided they were too unique for the actual intro thread and started one here.

Since this is the top forum on the site, it is the one most new people look at and...well, you can figure out the rest.

Oh. So there was an intro thread.

Yes, there was.

hooplala

I'm pretty sure I started my own intro thread, so I can't mock.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Freeky

LMNO

Mine was literally in a "What are you eating right now" thread.

To be fair, there was no Introductions thread back then, but still.

Eater of Clowns

I wrote a Discordians in History piece about inventing traffic cones leading to the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 11, 2015, 02:34:25 PM
Mine was literally in a "What are you eating right now" thread.

To be fair, there was no Introductions thread back then, but still.

Actually, there was.   :lulz:  Poib had one going.  It's what I posted in.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Dammit.

And it was a really derptastic post, too.

Golden Applesauce

Hiya. I don't think I ever posted in Introductions, so now seems like a good time. I was pretty depressed & burned out ~18 months ago, and if memory serves I flamed out in some inconsequential thread, had a Well, Then Stop moment & took a break from PD. I was surprised how much being able to think of myself as a minor part of the PD community meant to after I left.

Since then...

The international company I worked for laid off my entire office and all but a few of their US workers. I wasn't really able to take care of myself at that point, and with no job my parents had me move back in with them. Losing my insurance + moving meant that I had to change all my doctors, and finding good ones turned out to be an adventure. (The highlight was definitely the psych who decided that I was schizophrenic entirely on the basis that I was a male in my early 20s.)

I got seriously into Twitter to fill my social networking needs. I had mostly only followed my coworkers until then; somehow I ended up reading a lot of stuff about race, gender, and having a race and a gender at the same time. There were a lot of "oh, that's what Nigel was talking about" moments. Met a lot of transgender autistic dissociative spectrum otherkin, and felt strangely comfortable in that space? I mean everyone alternates between posting self-hatred and apologizing for posting self-hatred (or does both at once), but other than that they're really nice. Between Twitter and some other stuff, I've been practicing being sensitive, empathetic, and compassionate, which was a nice change from the sort of combative skeptic thing I had going before. Also, I might be a girl. Still working that out.

Early this year I felt up to working again, and was hired to rebuild/salvage on a local mid-size corporation's e-commerce site. About two and a half months into that, a more interesting company offered to hire me, and I went with it. I'm financially stable enough to move back out, but I've just been so busy working I haven't been able to sit down and plan that out.

I turned 25 a few weeks ago, and I think that about sums it up? I haven't decided if I'll stick around or not yet, that depends a lot on my own energy levels and whether anything I'm interested in is happening. I haven't read any threads yet, just thought I'd post this.

I never know how to end a post?
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."