News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "I've always, always regarded the Discordians as being people who chose to be Discordians because they can't be arsed to actually do any work to develop a relationship with a specific deity, they were too wishy-washy to choose just one path, and they just want to be a mishmash of everything and not have to work at learning about rituals or traditions or any such thing as that."

Main Menu

Introductions, part V: Don't Say We Never Warned You.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, July 18, 2012, 05:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Not a Keynesian, then?  Any reason, considering the past predictions regarding the current economy?

thewake

Quote from: LMNO on October 22, 2015, 08:55:00 PM
Not a Keynesian, then?  Any reason, considering the past predictions regarding the current economy?

Macro is a complex subject, as far as I can tell no one school actually has a decent theory that explains the business cycle completely. Probably because it's so damn complex a system.

As far as the framework for doing macroeconomics goes, Milton Friedman famously said "we are all Keynesians now." Not in the sense that he agreed with Keynes's conclusions about government spending, but that the Keynesian revolution had fundamentally transformed the way we've done economics. There's even a term for this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoclassical_synthesis

Practically every economist, barring those from heterodox schools like the Austrians and the Marxists, tend operate within the new neoclassical framework that has absorbed a good portion of Keynesianism as an integral part of the way it studies the world.
"It is the dull man who is always sure, and the sure man who is always dull."
--H. L. Mencken

LMNO

I don't mean "how business cycles work," and that's something that could be looked into, I mean that predictions from the start of the recession have favored the salt water over the fresh water, using pure numbers.

thewake

Quote from: LMNO on October 23, 2015, 12:45:14 AM
I don't mean "how business cycles work," and that's something that could be looked into, I mean that predictions from the start of the recession have favored the salt water over the fresh water, using pure numbers.

Depends on who's numbers you cite and who's take on them you adhere to, as is often the case in macroecon. Oftentimes the data tells half the story.
--H. L. Mencken

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: thewake on October 23, 2015, 05:07:47 AM

Depends on who's numbers you cite and who's take on them you adhere to, as is often the case in macroecon. Oftentimes the data tells half the story.

Which is to say, it's about as factual as Scientology.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

thewake

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 23, 2015, 05:52:30 AM
Quote from: thewake on October 23, 2015, 05:07:47 AM

Which is to say, it's about as factual as Scientology.

That's one conclusion you could come to, and there definitely is a misuse of empirical data that goes on in econ. Economists should be more willing to say "I don't know," but too many times they think they're smarter than they really are. It is the "dismal science," after all!

Of course, I'm rather proud of that moniker...
http://economics.about.com/od/economics-basics/a/Economics-As-The-Dismal-Science.htm
--H. L. Mencken

Brother Mythos

My greetings and felicitations, Discordians,

Please allow me to introduce myself, I am Gray Area of the, uhh ... Gray Area. I'm just another spiritual thrillseeker, idly poking roadkill with a stick around  – Oh look, something shiny!

Discordianism is fundamentally mischievous irreverence.

Brother Mythos

Sorry about that.

Anyway, greetings and felicitations, once again, Discordians,

As I was starting to say, I'm just another spiritual thrillseeker, idly poking roadkill with a stick around the Fifth Traffic Circle of the Road to Enlightenment.

Early in my journey, I revered the Dark Gods of Internal Combustion. But, those new, drunken hordes of lemming-like, NASCAR roundy-rounders ruined it for me. 

Foster may still love me, but he don't call, he don't write, he don't drop by. Nothin'. So, this lonesome boy has changed his cotton-pickin' mind and is long gone down the road, as far as the Fifth Traffic Circle.

I admit, I did contemplate applying for membership in the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. But hey, it's bad enough the satellite dish crashes the TV during lightning storms. I'm carrying way too much karmic debt to risk sitting around with a metal colander on my head, just daring the Fates to garnish it all in one fell bolt.

The Church of the SubGenius did catch my attention, but those rip-offs want $ 35.00 (plus postage) for "Salvation/Membership/Ordainment". Hell, I got my original ordination 'n for nothing, and only paid like $ 10.00 more for both my Ph.D. Metaphysics and my Sainthood Certificate!

And, of course, who hasn't been attracted to Satanism at one time or another? But let's be honest, Satanism is derivative (Or is it antiderivative? I can never get them straight.) at best, not that there's anything wrong with it, and hopelessly bourgeoisie in the twenty-first century. 

The Church of the Latter-day Dude caught my short little span of attention for, uhh ... a short little span. But, it dawned on me that they'd expect me to watch The Big Lebowski for the first time, which I steadfastly refuse to do. That movie was just a ginormous marketing campaign attempting to ride in on the coattails of the Monica Lewinsky Scandal. And, I don't care that the ginormous marketing campaign actually worked! As far as I'm concerned, that movie can keep on truckin'.

So, by the process of elimination ...

May the fnord be with you,

Gray Area

LMNO

Meunster

Jeez it's an introduction not a life story. But nice to meet you. Welcome to the shack. Don't try to fit in, and make sure to ignore the drama. There's good stuff here.
Poe's law ;)

Ziegejunge

Hello!

I've been lurking around here a while and finally decided to interact. Nothing I'm aware of compelled me; it just felt like time.

Maybe it's Afflux moving me. Who knows? This season of Aftermath is strong for me, having lost my dad to cancer this past June, and now completing the transition from one ERP system to another where I work. I'm ready for a new season of Discord. I'm ready to let go of things that will cling to me for the rest of my life anyway.

Life is beautiful and weird. Many Discordians I've met have developed a talent for looking past life's elements of fear, uncertainty, and doubt, and are able to appreciate the beauty and weirdness underscoring it all.

I'm already a part of that dialogue, like it or not. I guess I may as well own it.

Are there any lifeguards on duty up there on the roof?

LMNO

Quote from: Ziegejunge on December 08, 2015, 07:52:42 PM

Only if you know how to use a fire extinguisher, and can handle yourself in a servo unit and broadsword.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on December 08, 2015, 07:55:35 PM
Quote from: Ziegejunge on December 08, 2015, 07:52:42 PM

Only if you know how to use a fire extinguisher, and can handle yourself in a servo unit and broadsword.

This guy is nessie-nait. 
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Gray Area on December 08, 2015, 02:42:40 PM
My greetings and felicitations, Discordians,

Please allow me to introduce myself, I am Gray Area of the, uhh ... Gray Area. I'm just another spiritual thrillseeker, idly poking roadkill with a stick around  – Oh look, something shiny!

Hey there, new guy.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Brother Mythos

Thanks for the greetings, Discordians,

I now see how your post numbering system works, and have taken the time to plow trough this entire thread. It appears that a lot of new people introduce themselves, make a few posts, and are never heard from again. What's with that? Sockpuppets? Fear? What?