News:

Revenge is a dish best served salty, sterile, wet and warm.

Main Menu

Advances in artificially made organisms

Started by Sir Bearington, July 24, 2012, 07:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 13, 2015, 08:29:50 PM
Quote from: ChaosAdvocate on September 13, 2015, 08:41:00 AM
And you know what? I was quite entertained/nourished by the "Ukraine crisis" when it occurred. The stir it caused to even where I live, it was quite disappointing they made a ceasefire and the other side didn't launch an attack. .

You are a sociopath and should seek treatment.

Please note that there's nothing "edgy" about being a sociopath.  It means that you are mentally and emotionally stunted.  A defective biot, and not in a revolutionary way.  You are to the species what Fiats are to sports cars.

This. Lacking empathy doesn't mean you're a superior person or a better thinker, it means that you are missing one of the major evolutionary strategies that has permitted our species to thrive. Empathy is an important component of decision-making and people who lack it tend to not only treat others poorly, but to fare poorly themselves. They are more likely to end up impoverished, imprisoned, and in poor health. While they often manage to reproduce, in many cases repeatedly, their offspring have high mortality rates and are often also afflicted with the same condition.

It's one of those accidental mutations like cystic fibrosis that isn't lethal enough to just die out, so it just sort of lingers around making people gross and miserable.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on September 13, 2015, 09:07:27 PM
And you know what? I was quite entertained/nourished by the "Ukraine crisis" when it occurred. The stir it caused to even where I live, it was quite disappointing they made a ceasefire and the other side didn't launch an attack. .

Please note that there's nothing "edgy" about being a sociopath.  It means that you are mentally and emotionally stunted.  A defective biot, and not in a revolutionary way.  You are to the species what Fiats are to sports cars.

This. Lacking empathy doesn't mean you're a superior person or a better thinker, it means that you are missing one of the major evolutionary strategies that has permitted our species to thrive. Empathy is an important component of decision-making and people who lack it tend to not only treat others poorly, but to fare poorly themselves. They are more likely to end up impoverished, imprisoned, and in poor health. While they often manage to reproduce, in many cases repeatedly, their offspring have high mortality rates and are often also afflicted with the same condition.

It's one of those accidental mutations like cystic fibrosis that isn't lethal enough to just die out, so it just sort of lingers around making people gross and miserable.

Also, in the post-civilization environment about which he fantasizes, everyone else will kill off the more obvious sociopaths as a matter of sheer self-preservation.  Mostly because the VERY first thing people do when shit falls apart is start putting it back together again. 

When the Roman empire fell apart, society became MORE oppressive, because there wasn't any other choice.  In England, for example, the raging mobs of Saxons forced the Britons to accept a level of power in their kings that would never have been previously tolerated.  Same thing when the Vikings showed up.  By the 8th century, absolute monarchy was firmly established, and 99% of the population was stuck doing whatever the fuck they were told to do, and actually belonged to the land which belonged to their local feudal overlord.

Contrast this with Roman society, in which your average citizen/resident could do anything he wanted, provided he didn't conspire against the government.  Slaves were a different story, of course, but were a world-wide reality at that point in history (Also, what happened to Britain in 450CE forward made Roman slavery look like a walk in the park).
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 13, 2015, 09:42:56 PM

Also, in the post-civilization environment about which he fantasizes, everyone else will kill off the more obvious sociopaths as a matter of sheer self-preservation.  Mostly because the VERY first thing people do when shit falls apart is start putting it back together again. 

When the Roman empire fell apart, society became MORE oppressive, because there wasn't any other choice.  In England, for example, the raging mobs of Saxons forced the Britons to accept a level of power in their kings that would never have been previously tolerated.  Same thing when the Vikings showed up.  By the 8th century, absolute monarchy was firmly established, and 99% of the population was stuck doing whatever the fuck they were told to do, and actually belonged to the land which belonged to their local feudal overlord.

Contrast this with Roman society, in which your average citizen/resident could do anything he wanted, provided he didn't conspire against the government.  Slaves were a different story, of course, but were a world-wide reality at that point in history (Also, what happened to Britain in 450CE forward made Roman slavery look like a walk in the park).

Yeah. It's too bad the kid has only read that one book, because if he'd read some history he might get a better picture of what actually happens when things go to shit.

I don't know what he's fucking around with Discordia for, since he clearly doesn't understand the concepts of chaos and eristic escalation.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

It's more of a parasitism thing; as well as an adaptation to said parasitism. If there are a lot of generous helpful people about, there is a material advantage to one who is willing to take advantage of and exploit such generousity (and the advantage only works though if most of the surrounding people are of the decent type; a real life Galt's Gulch would never work). The chances of being exploited can in turn be minimized either through vigilance, and/or by minimizing the gain to be had from such exploitation, either by being less generous or by cancelling gains out with revenge.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on September 13, 2015, 10:45:04 PM

It's more of a parasitism thing; as well as an adaptation to said parasitism. If there are a lot of generous helpful people about, there is a material advantage to one who is willing to take advantage of and exploit such generousity (and the advantage only works though if most of the surrounding people are of the decent type; a real life Galt's Gulch would never work). The chances of being exploited can in turn be minimized either through vigilance, and/or by minimizing the gain to be had from such exploitation, either by being less generous or by cancelling gains out with revenge.

Thanks for the peanut gallery view, but there is actually a rather large body of research on the topic so we don't really need the armchair perspective at this time.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on September 13, 2015, 09:59:11 PM

Yeah. It's too bad the kid has only read that one book, because if he'd read some history he might get a better picture of what actually happens when things go to shit.

I don't know what he's fucking around with Discordia for, since he clearly doesn't understand the concepts of chaos and eristic escalation.

I don't expect people to get those two concepts right out of the gate.  Hell, there are some Discordians that never understood it.  Charley comes to mind, as do some of the more basically rotten people who infested this dump in the early days.  And of course hilarious old Prince Tao Jones.

But having someone show up lecturing things that are clearly foreign to him makes me think of Donald Trump or William Jennings Bryan.
Molon Lube

ChaosAdvocate

Nope I can feel for others but I can also feel the greater good that comes at the end. France because of the French Revolution has an anti-authority culture where people spit on the authorities all the time and have barely any respect for them. They are very riot/protest and strike-happy because of the French Revolution and allow none to dictate their lives. I do not want to live in an Orwellian 1984.

I would rather Somalia than Oceania in 1984 or a corporate-fascist state if made to choose. I care about my freedoms, you do not. What we have here is already fucking horrible, read this: http://theaimn.com/the-slide-away-from-democracy/

And if you care about people you should know they technically have concentration camps for refugees, declassifying the conditions will get you sent straight to prison. Oppression does not end on its own, you need change.

ChaosAdvocate

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 13, 2015, 06:02:54 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 13, 2015, 05:56:39 PM
Ah, 18 years old. I wish I could be there again. So full of passion, ideology, and blind sociopathy.

I miss it so.

Isn't.  Is Lys.
The conspiretardedness is strong in this one. Fact is my city has the most concentrated population in my country if you find any IP "similarities". And funny how you claim to be "Discordian/Erisian" when you are so afraid of radical/unusual change. You should know deities are not picky about their work. She is there when there is a war, she is there when a bloody revolution occurs and she is there in every single conflict. Known for causing destruction in the past or wars with high death tolls like the Trojan war or even WW1. Are you calling her sociopathic as well then?

You need to embrace the more unpleasant parts too and step outside of your comfort zone instead of selfishly cherry-picking what makes you feel good. Something good and lucky can happen but something suddenly bad can also happen to you, accept that fact. Fact is one of the refounders was involved in the assassination of Kennedy and he did it partly to prolong the war(Sow Discord). Why is that?

Also there is actually too much order. In seriousness explain why people no longer care about their freedoms despite the government becoming ever more corrupt and tyrannical?

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on September 13, 2015, 10:50:21 PM
Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on September 13, 2015, 10:45:04 PM

Thanks for the peanut gallery view, but there is actually a rather large body of research on the topic so we don't really need the armchair perspective at this time.

Well the last part about retaliation was based on Robert Axelrod's studies regarding the iterated prisoner's dilemma, in which a tit for tat strategy was found to be the most successful basic strategy.

EDIT:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoner%27s_dilemma#Strategy_for_the_iterated_prisoners.27_dilemma

EDIT:
Also, if there's no advantage to be gained by being an unfeeling exploitative ass then how the hell do you explain business, or politics?

EDIT:
Also, to a lesser extent, organized crime.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Doktor Howl

Quote from: ChaosAdvocate on September 13, 2015, 11:13:11 PM
Nope I can feel for others but I can also feel the greater good that comes at the end.

So...the end justifies the means?
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: ChaosAdvocate on September 13, 2015, 11:18:16 PMYou need to embrace the more unpleasant parts too and step outside of your comfort zone instead of selfishly cherry-picking what makes you feel good.

:lulz:

This is precious.
Molon Lube

ChaosAdvocate

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 13, 2015, 11:40:55 PM
Quote from: ChaosAdvocate on September 13, 2015, 11:13:11 PM
Nope I can feel for others but I can also feel the greater good that comes at the end.

So...the end justifies the means?
Yes definitely. Especially with the fact if this current declining/going downhill system does not go it will turn into something far worse than the side effects of a revolution or war. Read the two edited replies.

ChaosAdvocate

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 13, 2015, 11:41:39 PM
Quote from: ChaosAdvocate on September 13, 2015, 11:18:16 PMYou need to embrace the more unpleasant parts too and step outside of your comfort zone instead of selfishly cherry-picking what makes you feel good.

:lulz:

This is precious.
Well I'm just speaking the hard-reality/cold truth. Even though I realise she can be destructive and lead to many deaths in doing so. I still follow because it was still necessary to restore the balance in all situations. Every situation needed a different amount of change put in, the more stagnation the more needed. Bringing people out of their daily routines and moving them forward.

With Chaos both positives and negatives come, you have to be prepared to deal with any negatives and be well prepared. The Internet would not have been possible today if it were not for the development of radar technology due to WW1 and WW2.