News:

Bigotry is abound, apprently, within these boards.  There is a level of supposed tolerance I will have no part of.  Obviously, it seems to be well-embraced here.  I have finally found something more fucked up than what I'm used to.  Congrats. - Ruby

Main Menu

Advances in artificially made organisms

Started by Sir Bearington, July 24, 2012, 07:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: ChaosAdvocate on September 13, 2015, 11:44:06 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 13, 2015, 11:41:39 PM
Quote from: ChaosAdvocate on September 13, 2015, 11:18:16 PMYou need to embrace the more unpleasant parts too and step outside of your comfort zone instead of selfishly cherry-picking what makes you feel good.

:lulz:

This is precious.
Well I'm just speaking the hard-reality/cold truth.

Nope.  You're a loud-mouthed idiot who makes a pile of assumptions instead of doing a bit of looking around.

You're a dumbass.  I'm not sure how I can make this any plainer.
Molon Lube

ChaosAdvocate

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 13, 2015, 11:46:37 PM
Quote from: ChaosAdvocate on September 13, 2015, 11:42:53 PM

Yes definitely.

Congratulations, you have become what you hate.
Read the edited posts.

And ironic how you don't call the masses of people who do not care about neither their own or others' freedoms "sociopathic" and rise up to fight for their freedom because of selfish material interests and self-preservation. These are the people worthy of being called sociopaths. These are the people who are really disgusting.

Why not spit on those who try to take away an inch of their freedoms like the people in France who are known for being protest/riot and strike-happy to a point where they control the authority? Fuck the police.

Call me "sociopathic" when I am willing to go on a hunger strike at the right time in protest against the oppression of all.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: ChaosAdvocate on September 13, 2015, 11:53:07 PM

Yes definitely.

Read the edited posts.

blah, blah, blah, here to instruct the ignorant, blah, blah, blah.

Heard this all before.
Molon Lube

ChaosAdvocate

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 14, 2015, 12:14:59 AM
Quote from: ChaosAdvocate on September 13, 2015, 11:53:07 PM

Yes definitely.

Read the edited posts.

blah, blah, blah, here to instruct the ignorant, blah, blah, blah.

Heard this all before.
"Instruct everyone?" Nope I am just pointing out hypocrisy and I do not like hypocrisy. Especially wild assumptions from those who don't know crap about me or all of my beliefs. When people try to calculate/measure me they nearly always fail to get it right including irl.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: ChaosAdvocate on September 14, 2015, 01:20:04 AM
"Instruct everyone?" Nope I am just pointing out hypocrisy and I do not like hypocrisy. Especially wild assumptions from those who don't know crap about me or all of my beliefs. When people try to calculate/measure me they nearly always fail to get it right including irl.

*ahem*

Nobody gives a shit.  You might have noticed that if you ever stopped trying to tell people WHAT.

That is all.  You may now get back to telling us WHAT, and feeling somehow superior when nobody takes you seriously, or even pretends to. 
Molon Lube

ChaosAdvocate

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 14, 2015, 01:31:05 AM
Quote from: ChaosAdvocate on September 14, 2015, 01:20:04 AM

*ahem*

Nobody gives a shit.  You might have noticed that if you ever stopped trying to tell people WHAT.

That is all.  You may now get back to telling us WHAT, and feeling somehow superior when nobody takes you seriously, or even pretends to.
And I don't give a shit if nobody gives a shit? I don't have to follow everybody else, and plus people will start to when they start to find it difficult to get food and shelter anyway. Difference is I support quick/violent change/chaos because waiting takes too long, and it is more effective. You questioned "why I support Discordia?". I support her discord and conflict aspects included.

And plus if people "don't give a shit" it's even better because it means there is nobody there to hinder you physically or emotionally/psychologically and you can do stuff without them noticing. Just like with the current government now who are chipping away people's freedom silently, because not enough people "give a shit" they have total freedom to do what they want without being stopped/hindered. I am trying to learn how to influence fate/events and study human reactions when being exposed to certain conditions from an analytical/logical perspective. Controlling/Tampering with or swaying fate/event occurrence is like chemistry, you need certain components + certain conditions(which is like temperature) for each event and one important one being stealth. It must be done also influencing events as indirectly as possible with a big chain of subtle influence starting from you.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: ChaosAdvocate on September 14, 2015, 01:59:06 AM
And I don't give a shit if nobody gives a shit? I don't have to follow everybody else, and plus people will start to when they start to find it difficult to get food and shelter anyway. Difference is I support quick/violent change/chaos because waiting takes too long, and it is more effective. You questioned "why I support Discordia?". I support her discord and conflict aspects included.

Look, don't get all pissy with me because you can't communicate effectively.
Molon Lube

hooplala

Quote from: ChaosAdvocate on September 13, 2015, 04:54:52 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on September 12, 2015, 06:55:44 PM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on September 12, 2015, 06:01:34 PM
Quote from: ChaosAdvocate on September 12, 2015, 03:40:17 PM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on September 12, 2015, 03:20:51 PM
Well, unfortunately for you, the page finally loaded for me.

There's nothing in there about humans with gills or wings AT ALL, and do you know why that is? BECAUSE THERE ISN'T A GODDAMNED "WINGS" GENE.

Wings are complex structures that take (I'm ballparking here) millions of genes to build, and they're built out of shit you're already using for other things: your goddamned arms. Oh, and if you want them to work that means you need feathers which, protip, are most likely modified teeth genes, so say goodbye to your choppers. Also you weigh too goddamned much, so either you need to be smaller (more changes!) or have hollow bones (mammals haven't had that shit in EVER, so good luck finding a way to make that work). And of course to power the wings you need completely different chest muscles, so just add that to your list of shit you need to change. ON TOP OF THE MILLIONS FOR THE WING IN THE FIRST PLACE.

You want gills too? You know that fancy jaw thing you have? Say goodbye to it. Yeah, fish and amphibians have mouths and gills, but your jaw has all kinds of extra parts they don't and that all comes from modified gill genes.

Genes are like lego instructions. You can swap a couple things out here and there to get different pieces of things you need, but if you start trying to recreate part of a castle inside your star wars set you're going to end up with a mess and not enough pieces to finish anything.

And next time you run your mouth like an idiot, make sure the thing you link to actually backs up your nonsense.
I did not mention the article saying it can be done to humans. I am saying that if they can take gene traits from one species and put it into another, it works and modifies them. Its never been tried on humans for some reason and idk why but on animals. For the gills, wings or amphibian suggestion I just think it would be quite interesting to try to take those traits and experiment on humans in the name of greatness/just to see what happens or how it turns out.

BECAUSE YOU WOULD MAKE HORRIBLE STILLBORN MONSTROSITIES.

I'm going to assume you're 18 or 19 because son, you have LITERALLY NO CONCEPT of human suffering.

I'm gonna guess 15 and kinda stupid.
Nope I am 18 and allowing "ethics" or emotions to get in the way of progress is whats really stupid. The progress and greatness matter more. Also what the world needs is LESS order. Animals(like mice or dogs) are more morally innocent than humans as a whole anyway if you look at it from a wider viewpoint. Its better to experiment on criminals that were murderers than on mice who haven't done anything wrong if you see it from a moral viewpoint.

"Order"/Being Reactionary is the problem and the total opposite of the very definition of "solution".

Your pretty reactionary/ultaconservative"(To a 1950s and before degree) yourself for a "discordian"? I only care if something interesting/unusual or a change happens in anything. Change is never "bad" because what is bad can be fixed with another change. Opposition to change is the source of nearly all bad. My mind constantly morphs/warps as well for this reason. The only thing I "feel" from change is very energized and pleasant to a point where I want more and more.

There is no such thing as "too much change" and yes I truly believe in this. So did Maximilien Robiespierre, which points out that this has nothing to do with age. He sowed discord with intent of stopping people who tried to prevent change, initiating a work of discord called "the great terror".

So... ethics are bad, and morals are good.  Got it.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: ChaosAdvocate on September 13, 2015, 04:54:52 AM
allowing "ethics" or emotions to get in the way of progress is whats really stupid.

Funny.  Adolf Eichmann said the very same thing.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

You could probably make someone that glows in the dark. That's been done with a few different species already. It's been done to death. But there's really so practical reason to do so.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Most importantly, advances in human genetic engineering and access thereto would mean that pink establishment cabbage types would have more access to human genetic engineering. Mainly them, in fact. And I don't want them in charge of humanity's genetic future.

EDIT:
Who will fund the project to make super hippies to protest the super soldiers?

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

[crazy futurist ranting]

Also, I forsee preemptive genetic modification resulting in the stagnation of conventional medicine.

Without genetic engineering to hold it back I forsee conventional medicine in the far-flung distant future - millenia away - allowing us to transcend humanity, literally. Eventually we will become so deevolved and the medicine to counteract this so advanced, that our humanity will be a product of the medicine and not our parentage, and so we'll be able to craft a person out of any suitably similar base species.
[/crazy futurist ranting]

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: ChaosAdvocate on September 13, 2015, 11:13:11 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 13, 2015, 08:29:50 PM
Quote from: ChaosAdvocate on September 13, 2015, 08:41:00 AM
And you know what? I was quite entertained/nourished by the "Ukraine crisis" when it occurred. The stir it caused to even where I live, it was quite disappointing they made a ceasefire and the other side didn't launch an attack. .

You are a sociopath and should seek treatment.

Please note that there's nothing "edgy" about being a sociopath.  It means that you are mentally and emotionally stunted.  A defective biot, and not in a revolutionary way.  You are to the species what Fiats are to sports cars.
Nope I can feel for others but I can also feel the greater good that comes at the end. France because of the French Revolution has an anti-authority culture where people spit on the authorities all the time and have barely any respect for them. They are very riot/protest and strike-happy because of the French Revolution and allow none to dictate their lives. I do not want to live in an Orwellian 1984.

I would rather Somalia than Oceania in 1984 or a corporate-fascist state if made to choose. I care about my freedoms, you do not. What we have here is already fucking horrible, read this: http://theaimn.com/the-slide-away-from-democracy/

And if you care about people you should know they technically have concentration camps for refugees, declassifying the conditions will get you sent straight to prison. Oppression does not end on its own, you need change.

Have you tried reading any of the other threads on this board? You come across like a pubescent kid who just discovered social injustice and thinks he has all the right outrage and all the right answers, but has exactly zero idea what's going on in the activism sphere and has only read one book. Ever.

In addition, none of this has FUCK ALL to do with doing genetic experiments on human beings. Did you even look to see what thread you were in? Go home, little boy, you are lost.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on September 13, 2015, 11:19:03 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on September 13, 2015, 10:50:21 PM
Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on September 13, 2015, 10:45:04 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on September 13, 2015, 09:07:27 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 13, 2015, 08:29:50 PM
Quote from: ChaosAdvocate on September 13, 2015, 08:41:00 AM
And you know what? I was quite entertained/nourished by the "Ukraine crisis" when it occurred. The stir it caused to even where I live, it was quite disappointing they made a ceasefire and the other side didn't launch an attack. .

You are a sociopath and should seek treatment.

Please note that there's nothing "edgy" about being a sociopath.  It means that you are mentally and emotionally stunted.  A defective biot, and not in a revolutionary way.  You are to the species what Fiats are to sports cars.

This. Lacking empathy doesn't mean you're a superior person or a better thinker, it means that you are missing one of the major evolutionary strategies that has permitted our species to thrive. Empathy is an important component of decision-making and people who lack it tend to not only treat others poorly, but to fare poorly themselves. They are more likely to end up impoverished, imprisoned, and in poor health. While they often manage to reproduce, in many cases repeatedly, their offspring have high mortality rates and are often also afflicted with the same condition.

It's one of those accidental mutations like cystic fibrosis that isn't lethal enough to just die out, so it just sort of lingers around making people gross and miserable.

It's more of a parasitism thing; as well as an adaptation to said parasitism. If there are a lot of generous helpful people about, there is a material advantage to one who is willing to take advantage of and exploit such generousity (and the advantage only works though if most of the surrounding people are of the decent type; a real life Galt's Gulch would never work). The chances of being exploited can in turn be minimized either through vigilance, and/or by minimizing the gain to be had from such exploitation, either by being less generous or by cancelling gains out with revenge.

Thanks for the peanut gallery view, but there is actually a rather large body of research on the topic so we don't really need the armchair perspective at this time.

Well the last part about retaliation was based on Robert Axelrod's studies regarding the iterated prisoner's dilemma, in which a tit for tat strategy was found to be the most successful basic strategy.

EDIT:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoner%27s_dilemma#Strategy_for_the_iterated_prisoners.27_dilemma

EDIT:
Also, if there's no advantage to be gained by being an unfeeling exploitative ass then how the hell do you explain business, or politics?

EDIT:
Also, to a lesser extent, organized crime.

Oh my god, just shut up. We are not talking about what you want to be talking about, no matter how hard you try to shoehorn the topic into something you think you know about.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."