News:

Nothing gets wasted around here

Main Menu

Being poor is...

Started by BabylonHoruv, July 24, 2012, 08:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BabylonHoruv

You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

The Dark Monk

Sounds about right, any dentist would scream at my rotting teeth sadly, one of the reasons for the face mask is to keep rotten breath and decaying teeth from scaring nerbs.
I thought this is all there is,
but now I know you are so much more.
I want to upgrade from my simple eight bits,
but will you still love me when I'm sixty-four?
~MIAB~

The Johnny

Does making a list of stereotypes of poor people promote empathy?

On one hand it does bring up injustices in a "poor person's" reality and experience, but on some parts its designating them as dumb, dirty or criminal.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Sir Bearington

My gentlemanly british stereotype dictates that i should chase away and hit poor people with my cane when they are in my way.

The Dark Monk

Quote from: Joh'Nyx on July 25, 2012, 12:35:03 PM

On one hand it does bring up injustices in a "poor person's" reality and experience, but on some parts its designating them as dumb, dirty or criminal.

We're all dumb, dirty and criminal. Poor people just sell pot, can't afford dentists, and went to public school where we see it not even worth going and screw ourselves.
Rich people sell cocaine, are suicidal dentists, and went to private school where they learn to screw everyone on wallstreet.

Soooo all in all we're the same with more or less possessions.
I thought this is all there is,
but now I know you are so much more.
I want to upgrade from my simple eight bits,
but will you still love me when I'm sixty-four?
~MIAB~

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Dark Monk on July 25, 2012, 06:11:52 PM

We're all dumb, dirty and criminal. Poor people just sell pot, can't afford dentists, and went to public school where we see it not even worth going and screw ourselves.
Rich people sell cocaine, are suicidal dentists, and went to private school where they learn to screw everyone on wallstreet.

Wrong.

My hood is always brimming with coke dealers.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on July 25, 2012, 07:11:56 PM

Wrong.

WELCOME TO TUCSON, POPULATION:  YOU.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Dead Reverend Roger on July 25, 2012, 07:13:05 PM
Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on July 25, 2012, 07:11:56 PM

Wrong.

WELCOME TO TUCSON, POPULATION:  YOU.

FUCK.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I dunno, having been poor that list made me want to cry. It was way too familiar.

One thing I can say right now; I may survive on student financial aid and food stamps, plus the few hours of work I can squeeze in each week, but I'm not poor. Not poor like I grew up with.

Some people get stuck in poor and they can't get out of it, or don't know how to take the risks that would get them out of it. The people I have seen get out of it aren't the ordinary kind of smart, either. Cordelia The Enucleator comes to mind.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Lenin McCarthy

A lot of those are highly relative. Even in rich, but very homogenous and conformist Norway, where probably 85% are part of the high-consuming middle class, it must hurt a lot as a parent when you can't afford to buy your kids all the stuff that "cool kids" are supposed to have, and you can't afford to pay the training fees for your kid's soccer team or for their school trips, but you still have food enough for everyone, and all the utility bills get paid in time. You lose out on a lot of opportunities to make friends and build networks, which is vital in a society where employees are often hired through contacts, and in the public sector, where jobs have to be advertised, job adverts are often tailor-made to fit people they've already decided should get the job.

Sir Bearington

I'm middle class, not quite sure how middle class but i imagine upper middle class.

trippinprincezz13

Quote from: Sir Bearington on July 25, 2012, 01:24:38 PM
My gentlemanly british stereotype dictates that i should chase away and hit poor people with my cane when they are in my way.

Just don't drop your monacle. It's the fourth one you've broken this week.
There's no sun shine coming through her ass, if you are sure of your penis.

Paranoia is a disease unto itself, and may I add, the person standing next to you, may not be who they appear to be, so take precaution.

If there is no order in your sexual life it may be difficult to stay with a whole skin.

Sir Bearington

Quote from: trippinprincezz13 on July 26, 2012, 04:07:47 PM
Quote from: Sir Bearington on July 25, 2012, 01:24:38 PM

Just don't drop your monacle. It's the fourth one you've broken this week.

Its difficult to hit poor people from the window of a Rolls Royce with my walking cane and simultaneously drive as it is!

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on July 26, 2012, 02:55:56 AM

I dunno, having been poor that list made me want to cry. It was way too familiar.

One thing I can say right now; I may survive on student financial aid and food stamps, plus the few hours of work I can squeeze in each week, but I'm not poor. Not poor like I grew up with.

Some people get stuck in poor and they can't get out of it, or don't know how to take the risks that would get them out of it. The people I have seen get out of it aren't the ordinary kind of smart, either. Cordelia The Enucleator comes to mind.

"Enucleator"?  :lol:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on July 26, 2012, 07:08:30 PM
Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on July 26, 2012, 02:55:56 AM

"Enucleator"?  :lol:

She works at the eye bank.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."