News:

That line from the father's song in Mary Poppins, where he's going on about how nothing can go wrong, in Britain in 1910.  That's about the point I realized the boy was gonna die in a trench.

Main Menu

Question about punk rock from non-punk bands

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, July 26, 2012, 05:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

P!nk does have quite a "I don't give a flying fuck" attitude...but her music style is pop.

This is when labels get muddy.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Dead Reverend Roger on July 26, 2012, 05:52:05 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 26, 2012, 05:49:11 PM
Talking Heads was part of NYC '77, so I usually think of them as Punk, regardless.  Most of that punk style wouldn't be recognized as such, these days.  Hell, I heard tell some snot nosed poser claimed the Clash wasn't "really" punk a while back.  Too bad there wasn't much to send back to the family.

As much as I know you love P!nk, calling that punk doesn't really sit well with me -- although, the chances are good that Tim Armstrong (Operation Ivy, Rancid) helped write it, so you at least have only one degree of separation.

I don't think I've heard that Elton track, but that guy's been flipping off the Man for decades, so why the hell not.

1.  That's one of Elton John's "lost" works, though you can find it on Youtube.

2.  Inre:  The Clash thing.  I was in the dentist's office a number of years ago (2005 or so), and the bastard had MTV on the TV in the waiting room.  This would be horrible enough in itself, but there was the stupid fucking "shout out" video interruptions, and this airhead screams out something about Green Day "pioneering punk rock".  I wanted to go up a fucking water tower.

WHAT?!?! I'm surprised nobody's gone up the MTV rooftop with an assault rifle.   :x :x :x

BTW, I suspect there's a REASON people don't quite let themselves be fingered as punk post-1980. They learned to keep moving.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Suu

If somebody told me, in person, that Green Day "pioneered" anything, I would unleash an incredible amount of unholy wrath upon them.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Nephew Twiddleton

Well to be fair they pioneered green day carbon copies....
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Suu

Which I wouldn't call their fault directly, other than existing. Though I owned my copy of "Dookie" just like every other kid in middle school.

I could not stand that "punk revival" shit that hit when I was in college. Thanks to them and Hot Topic, scene kids spawned, which then grew up into hipsters. My sister fell into that fucking trap. I'm so glad she outgrew it.

Nephew Twiddleton

Yeah- after i stopped listening to green day is when i started listening to older stuff. Radio started to irk me after that point.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

Quote from: Gen. Disregard on July 26, 2012, 07:37:21 PM
Quote from: Suu on July 26, 2012, 06:05:28 PM
But who exactly pioneered punk?

The Ramones?

The sound, or the ethos?

The ethos has been around for a long time.  Prometheus was a punk.

The sound, I'd say Blue Cheer/MC5/The Stooges.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 26, 2012, 07:40:21 PM
Quote from: Gen. Disregard on July 26, 2012, 07:37:21 PM
Quote from: Suu on July 26, 2012, 06:05:28 PM
But who exactly pioneered punk?

The Ramones?

The sound, or the ethos?

The sound, I'd say Blue Cheer/MC5/The Stooges.

Lord Buckley.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

AFK

I dunno, probably more the sound though of course they weren't the only ones but you definitely hear a lot of Ramones-like riffing in some of the bands that followed.

And I really like the Ramones and just wanted to name-drop. ;)

Lenin McCarthy

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 26, 2012, 07:40:21 PM
For non-mythological beings, Diogenes of Sinope was also very punk.

Cuddlefish

Beethoven was the first punk rocker.

Fuck The Clash (seriously, fuck them) and The Ramones (they get a little more leeway than The Clash though, they had downs syndrome).

Anyone that doesn't know anything about the Crass/Exploited rivalry needs some schoolin'.

As far as Greenday goes, I've seen them pwn entire festivals filled with so-called punk bands. Setting their gear on fire, escalating the crowds to a point that they broke down the fences. You know you're not punk when Greenday out-bad-asses you. But pioneered? I don't think so. Not punk, anyhow.

Punk rock is all about being pissed. Case for Beethoven:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6unwFFeNTjQ
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

East Coast Hustle

Musically speaking, the first punk rocker that comes to mind is Buddy Holly.

Attitudinally speaking, the first punk rocker that comes to mind is the biblical Eve.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

AFK

At a certain point that definition seems to get a bit brittle.  You can do the same with Metal.  There is the obvious discussion of bands that SOUND metal, but then you can also talk about someone being metal.  For example some have described classical artists like Beehtoven, and especially Wagner, as being metal. 

So what's the difference between being (attitudinally) punk and metal? 

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.