News:

Endorsement from MysticWicks: "The most fatuous, manipulative, and venomous people to be found here are all of the discordian genre."

Main Menu

Excuse me while I vomit.- Trigger Warning for Rape and Rape Culture.

Started by Pope Pixie Pickle, July 28, 2012, 02:11:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Net on July 28, 2012, 06:38:36 PM
Quote from: v3x on July 28, 2012, 06:19:53 PM
Having uncomfortable discussions is about the absolute minimum we owe to the rest of society if we say we're interested at all in solving big problems and not just distracting ourselves with frivolity all the time.

People who have been through sexual trauma owe it to society to re-traumatize themselves by subjecting themselves to content they are not ready to read?

Yes, that sounds like very non-counterproductive "big problem" solving.

Hence the "This topic involves rape" which would naturally be part of any decent OP. People can see that and move on. I don't object to a "trigger warning" in this case, but you know how people get. Pretty soon we'll have a "trigger warning" for politics in general, or "trigger warning" for pie vs. cake. Probably not HERE, but imagine Facebook. That's what I object to.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: The Dead Reverend Roger on July 28, 2012, 06:43:04 PM

I don't think it's necessary to post a big "trigger warning" at the top of a thread just because an article linked from it shows people being horrible about a topic like rape. The OP can outline the situation and anyone who has too much trouble with it is free to click the other way.

Or the title can.  And did.

In any case, way to go.  Pixie's thread has been effectively trashed.

Pixie, would you like a thread split?

Topic migration happens in at least half of the threads on this forum, it isn't anything new.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: v3x on July 28, 2012, 06:45:22 PM
Quote from: The Dead Reverend Roger on July 28, 2012, 06:43:04 PM

I don't think it's necessary to post a big "trigger warning" at the top of a thread just because an article linked from it shows people being horrible about a topic like rape. The OP can outline the situation and anyone who has too much trouble with it is free to click the other way.

Or the title can.  And did.

In any case, way to go.  Pixie's thread has been effectively trashed.

Pixie, would you like a thread split?

Topic migration happens in at least half of the threads on this forum, it isn't anything new.

Yes, and screaming at the person starting the thread for putting a warning in the thread title is a perfectly acceptable way to move things along.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Anna Mae Bollocks

We post "NSFW" warnings, Faust. I'd be more inclined to post "Trigger Warning" so people can avoid flashbacks (which, as Nigel pointed out, can go far beyond "uncomfortable") than to worry about somebody getting called on the carpet because they accidentally clicked a pron link. FFS. Not making light of what happened to you, but not everybody is at a place where they can just rise above it or whatever.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: The Dead Reverend Roger on July 28, 2012, 06:47:09 PM
Yes, and screaming at the person starting the thread for putting a warning in the thread title is a perfectly acceptable way to move things along.

I didn't see any screaming, I saw 2 people who expressed reservations about the idea of trigger warnings, and 5 people who started dropping obscenities and vitriol because their opinions had been challenged.

Anyway, people are going to post trigger warnings if they want to either way. I'm can't stop them and won't complain too loudly if I see them. The fact that I don't like them doesn't mean anything, unless it's offensive that I don't share the Collective Opinion all the time.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Faust on July 28, 2012, 05:26:19 PM
As a victim of childhood sexual abuse who can still talk about rape without insulting things like trigger warnings I find your comments moronic and offensive.

In what way is a trigger warning "insulting"?

Jesus fuck, pull your head out of your ass. If you'd rather be on a forum where people don't feel the need for human consideration when it's appropriate, totse2.com is probably more your speed.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: v3x on July 28, 2012, 07:00:19 PM

I didn't see any screaming, I saw 2 people who expressed reservations about the idea of trigger warnings, and 5 people who started dropping obscenities and vitriol because their opinions had been challenged.

Anyway, people are going to post trigger warnings if they want to either way. I'm can't stop them and won't complain too loudly if I see them. The fact that I don't like them doesn't mean anything, unless it's offensive that I don't share the Collective Opinion all the time.

It doesn't mean anything except that I have lost a tremendous amount of respect for you.

I find it obscenely offensive, to the point of grotesque, that Faust declared himself to have a "trigger" about trigger warnings. I am pretty close to putting you in the same shit can with him. There is nothing "insulting" about using the words "trigger warning" or "trigger alert" when you're about to post a topic that could legitimately put someone with PTSD in a panic mode. Personally, I prefer to just put a description in the title or OP, but actually understanding what a trigger IS and what it means with relation to PTSD, I don't object to the use of the word.

And yeah, I do have PTSD from being molested as a child and raped as a teenager, so yes, this is an emotional topic for me, but mostly right now I'm pissed at how callous some people can be toward people who are already in a vulnerable position, simply because they don't like a word.

Way to keep the internet unsafe for women and support rape culture, assholes.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: v3x on July 28, 2012, 06:43:59 PM
Quote from: Net on July 28, 2012, 06:38:36 PM
Having uncomfortable discussions is about the absolute minimum we owe to the rest of society if we say we're interested at all in solving big problems and not just distracting ourselves with frivolity all the time.

People who have been through sexual trauma owe it to society to re-traumatize themselves by subjecting themselves to content they are not ready to read?

Yes, that sounds like very non-counterproductive "big problem" solving.

Hence the "This topic involves rape" which would naturally be part of any decent OP. People can see that and move on. I don't object to a "trigger warning" in this case, but you know how people get. Pretty soon we'll have a "trigger warning" for politics in general, or "trigger warning" for pie vs. cake. Probably not HERE, but imagine Facebook. That's what I object to.

"WHAT IF THIS THING THAT TOTALLY ISN'T HAPPENING HAPPENS? WHAT IF PEOPLE START APPLYING TRIGGER WARNINGS TO TOPICS THAT HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH PTSD? WHAT IF HUMAN BEINGS WEREN'T SO SMART? WHAT IF COWS DIDN'T HAVE LEGS? WHAT THEN?"

Did you catch a virus from Trollbear or something?

I swear to god, you people make me sick.

Anna Mae Bollocks

IMHO, "rape" in the title doesn't quite convey how fucked up some of the shit in this article is.
I don't know how you quantify this stuff, you probably can't, I just know this article left a worse aftertaste than "somebody got raped someplace".
The idea of dialogue with these people reminds me of those stories of detectives who have to get inside the minds of serial killers and end up needing therapy themselves. The concept of the article (not sure I can find the right words, bear with me) involves kind of opening up to these guys, seeing a fellow human there and relating to that. This is threatening in some ways and also creepy as fuck. It's NOT a standard rape article and while "trigger warning" may sound trite and annoying, it needed SOMETHING and I really don't have anything better...do you?

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on July 28, 2012, 07:27:57 PM

It doesn't mean anything except that I have lost a tremendous amount of respect for you.

I find it obscenely offensive, to the point of grotesque, that Faust declared himself to have a "trigger" about trigger warnings. I am pretty close to putting you in the same shit can with him. There is nothing "insulting" about using the words "trigger warning" or "trigger alert" when you're about to post a topic that could legitimately put someone with PTSD in a panic mode. Personally, I prefer to just put a description in the title or OP, but actually understanding what a trigger IS and what it means with relation to PTSD, I don't object to the use of the word.

And yeah, I do have PTSD from being molested as a child and raped as a teenager, so yes, this is an emotional topic for me, but mostly right now I'm pissed at how callous some people can be toward people who are already in a vulnerable position, simply because they don't like a word.

- I said I don't object to a trigger warning in this case. Specifically:
QuoteI don't object to a "trigger warning" in this case, but you know how people get.
So I'm not "keeping the internet unsafe for women."

My objection was to the larger idea of trigger warnings in general and how they could be applied, and if I'm wrong about that then I'm wrong about it. But I find it unacceptable that it can be deemed okay to fly off the handle and blow your top at anyone just for expressing an opinion that you don't share, and accusing them of making the Internet "unsafe" just by virtue of having that opinion. You have your right to your opinion, and so do I. The fact that we may disagree here or there has no net effect on "Internet safety," and it's preposterous to think it does.

If you are justified in dropping all semblance of rational and reasonable discussion and go directly to accusing someone of some actual offense just because they dare to disagree with your opinion (which, because it is yours, must be the only correct one, I guess), then I am no less justified to continue holding that opinion on the grounds that instead of a reasonable argument against it, all you have to offer is immediate condescension and declarations of innate moral supremacy. Until a reasoned response to my opinion is put forward I have no real reason to change it. I'm certainly not going to change it just because it makes you mad.

Anna Mae Bollocks

v3x, you're not getting it. Go back and reread the thread, and read up on PTSD and flashbacks until it sinks in.

The outrage was in order, AFAIC.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: v3x on July 28, 2012, 08:12:59 PM
Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on July 28, 2012, 07:27:57 PM

- I said I don't object to a trigger warning in this case. Specifically:
QuoteI don't object to a "trigger warning" in this case, but you know how people get.
So I'm not "keeping the internet unsafe for women."

My objection was to the larger idea of trigger warnings in general and how they could be applied, and if I'm wrong about that then I'm wrong about it. But I find it unacceptable that it can be deemed okay to fly off the handle and blow your top at anyone just for expressing an opinion that you don't share, and accusing them of making the Internet "unsafe" just by virtue of having that opinion. You have your right to your opinion, and so do I. The fact that we may disagree here or there has no net effect on "Internet safety," and it's preposterous to think it does.

If you are justified in dropping all semblance of rational and reasonable discussion and go directly to accusing someone of some actual offense just because they dare to disagree with your opinion (which, because it is yours, must be the only correct one, I guess), then I am no less justified to continue holding that opinion on the grounds that instead of a reasonable argument against it, all you have to offer is immediate condescension and declarations of innate moral supremacy. Until a reasoned response to my opinion is put forward I have no real reason to change it. I'm certainly not going to change it just because it makes you mad.

Fuck off, you utter piece of shit. You want me to drop all semblance of rational discussion? Watch what happens when a male objects to "trigger warnings" on a thread about the rape of women by men. You and Faust don't like trigger warnings on rape threads? GO SUCK EACH OTHER'S DICKS. Maybe commiserate with some rapists on Reddit, you janky piece of crap.

I am out for the day; I've had enough of this shit for one sitting. I only came back to copy some particularly noxious tidbits of discussion (your and Faust's posts) for dissection elsewhere.

Murmur

Quote from: Pixie on July 28, 2012, 11:38:51 AM
Quote from: Murmur on July 28, 2012, 07:47:59 AM
Flashbacks. Not cool.  :sad:

Sorry Murmur. In a feminist space I would have put a massive TRIGGER WARNING on the whole thing.

In fact I'm going to go back and put one in the thread title now. I considered it before posting, but I wasn't sure if PeeDee needed them. Now I know we do. Sorry again, hon.

Thank you, sweetie... I didn't mean to start a flame-war. Thank you for adding the *trigger warning.*
Tolerable Terror for Toddlers Legionaire, Nixon Division™

"Onlookers will be horrified and amazed by the sheer volume of fluid."--TGRR

"SaraLee, I say unto you!  If ye have a cake and halve it, and then halve it yet again, you would have four quarters and yet still not have a dollar.  Eat of that cake, for it is cake which is NOT cake, which ye may have half a mind to have at a reasonable price, yet in indecision achieve satori with said stale Moon Pie.  That's what you get when YOU FUCK WITH US." - DOUR

Faust

Quote from: Murmur on July 28, 2012, 08:36:51 PM
Quote from: Pixie on July 28, 2012, 11:38:51 AM
Quote from: Murmur on July 28, 2012, 07:47:59 AM
Flashbacks. Not cool.  :sad:

Sorry Murmur. In a feminist space I would have put a massive TRIGGER WARNING on the whole thing.

In fact I'm going to go back and put one in the thread title now. I considered it before posting, but I wasn't sure if PeeDee needed them. Now I know we do. Sorry again, hon.

Thank you, sweetie... I didn't mean to start a flame-war. Thank you for adding the *trigger warning.*

It's no problem, these happen all the time. Sorry if I've made you feel unsafe on the Internet though  :p
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Pæs

Ffs,  there's a bit of a difference between "the opinions expressed here might make you mad" and "this subject matter could be traumatic" ...and a response which effectively says "it happened to me and I can talk about it,harden up" is a cunt move.