News:

There's a sucker born every minute... and you are right on time.

Main Menu

Excuse me while I vomit.- Trigger Warning for Rape and Rape Culture.

Started by Pope Pixie Pickle, July 28, 2012, 02:11:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pope Pixie Pickle

http://jezebel.com/5929544/rapists-explain-themselves-on-reddit-and-we-should-listen?comment=51346779

This article and the Reddit part that it links to makes me want to puke, and stabbinate someone.  Do some people really have no empathy or conciousness of what is consent? Well, obviously.

I had the idea for a rant about why we need to teach every teenager what constitutes consent and what is sexually inappropriate behaviour, and holy fuckballs, we need it like we need vaccines.

I'm just one person yelling against the tide, though, and as good as my ranting would make me feel, I'm not sure if I can do this the justice it deserves today.

If you are feeling brave and your rage gland needs oiling, go to the links to the actual Reddit discussion. Mine got so big it sprang a slow leak.

Luna

Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

The Dark Monk

I can't finish reading this. I feel a need for a break.
I thought this is all there is,
but now I know you are so much more.
I want to upgrade from my simple eight bits,
but will you still love me when I'm sixty-four?
~MIAB~

Pæs

Do you disagree with the article or mainly the idea that the Reddit thread offers sympathy to rapists?

Eta: or any of the other rage-inducing parts of this situation, because that sounded like I thought there were only two.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Not sure I can even stand looking at that shit right now.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Sleeper

It's utterly infuriating.
I find this nearly impossible to read.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That was a really good article, and I felt it made some good headway into explaining why demonizing and dehumanizing rapists only serves to perpetuate rape culture, much the same way that demonizing and dehumanizing women does. It's only when men and women can meet and relate as fellow human beings that rape stops. We victimize those we can't relate to.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Placid Dingo

Yeah the article itself was brilliant.

I read one or two linked accounts. Fucking hell.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

The Dark Monk

Agreed it was a good article, but also a disgusting one. I had to watch a movie in between to finish it. I read a few of the stories as well, and they truly do range from drunken retardation to power trips, to some serious reality disassociation. Some caught themselves about halfway through and were like, "Oh shit this is wrong!" and others were "Hell yeah TAKE THAT BITCH". The scariest part of it is that at the end of the article the man speaking explained that you'd never know it was him. He's simply your neighbor, and goes into the Fun Loving Criminals category. He's going to post about bacon and cats and you're none the wiser. It's hard to see any decency in what you call "The Human Race." Though I do imagine even after all of that, there is worse, i.e. someone who fanatically reads them to live out a fantasy.
I thought this is all there is,
but now I know you are so much more.
I want to upgrade from my simple eight bits,
but will you still love me when I'm sixty-four?
~MIAB~

Murmur

Tolerable Terror for Toddlers Legionaire, Nixon Division™

"Onlookers will be horrified and amazed by the sheer volume of fluid."--TGRR

"SaraLee, I say unto you!  If ye have a cake and halve it, and then halve it yet again, you would have four quarters and yet still not have a dollar.  Eat of that cake, for it is cake which is NOT cake, which ye may have half a mind to have at a reasonable price, yet in indecision achieve satori with said stale Moon Pie.  That's what you get when YOU FUCK WITH US." - DOUR

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on July 28, 2012, 06:06:33 AM
That was a really good article, and I felt it made some good headway into explaining why demonizing and dehumanizing rapists only serves to perpetuate rape culture, much the same way that demonizing and dehumanizing women does. It's only when men and women can meet and relate as fellow human beings that rape stops. We victimize those we can't relate to.

Finally thought to use the cell and got it to load. And yeah, maybe some of these guys are just dense:

Quote from: The Dark Monk on July 28, 2012, 07:42:52 AM
Agreed it was a good article, but also a disgusting one. I had to watch a movie in between to finish it. I read a few of the stories as well, and they truly do range from drunken retardation to power trips, to some serious reality disassociation. Some caught themselves about halfway through and were like, "Oh shit this is wrong!"

others are sociopaths and don't give a rat's ass:

Quote from: The Dark Monk on July 28, 2012, 07:42:52 AM
and others were "Hell yeah TAKE THAT BITCH".

You can't talk things out with sociopaths and expect anything to actually come of it. This isn't demonizing, it's just how it is. And you don't know who the sociopaths are until the damage is done:

Quote from: The Dark Monk on July 28, 2012, 07:42:52 AMThe scariest part of it is that at the end of the article the man speaking explained that you'd never know it was him. He's simply your neighbor, and goes into the Fun Loving Criminals category. He's going to post about bacon and cats and you're none the wiser. It's hard to see any decency in what you call "The Human Race." Though I do imagine even after all of that, there is worse, i.e. someone who fanatically reads them to live out a fantasy.

On a side note, I thought this part was interesting:

"At about 16 I was exposed to a lot of PUA material, which (not having a father or mother really around) shaped my life until I was about 20. Most of the material was very objectifying and sexually aggressive towards women."

But anyway, yeah. Having the conversations could help in some cases, at least.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Nephew Twiddleton

I'm probably not in the mindset to read this article, based on the reactions so far.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Bruce Twiddleton on July 28, 2012, 08:14:12 AM
I'm probably not in the mindset to read this article, based on the reactions so far.

Maybe the question is whether enough people have the stomach to talk it out enough for it to help anybody. Seriously puke-inducing, disturbing shit.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on July 28, 2012, 08:22:04 AM
Quote from: Bruce Twiddleton on July 28, 2012, 08:14:12 AM

Maybe the question is whether enough people have the stomach to talk it out enough for it to help anybody. Seriously puke-inducing, disturbing shit.

I'm not sober. I should probably wait.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Murmur on July 28, 2012, 07:47:59 AM
Flashbacks. Not cool.  :sad:

Sorry Murmur. In a feminist space I would have put a massive TRIGGER WARNING on the whole thing.

In fact I'm going to go back and put one in the thread title now. I considered it before posting, but I wasn't sure if PeeDee needed them. Now I know we do. Sorry again, hon.