News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "At least Satanists HAVE a worldview. After reading this thread, I'm convinced that discordians not only don't, but will actively mock anyone who does."

Main Menu

Collected Intermittens in print?

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, July 29, 2012, 06:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I don't know if this is even possible due to copyright issues, but is anyone, or has anyone considered, trying to get permission to offer the collected Intermittens in one volume through Lulu at cost? That's something I'd really dig having a bound volume of.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yeah, there are how many issues? It would be a pretty solid book I think.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Placid Dingo

Ten. Pragmatically sorting the permissions would be hellish.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Placid Dingo

Of course just having all episodes in one volume would be great.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Placid Dingo on July 29, 2012, 10:50:23 PM

It wouldn't be that hard to go through and make a list of the contributors, and since most of them are active here or elsewhere on the web I don't think it would be too hard to ask permission. Maybe I'll put that on my list of things to do while I'm housebound after surgery.

Placid Dingo

Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on July 29, 2012, 11:58:14 PM
Quote from: Placid Dingo on July 29, 2012, 10:50:23 PM

It wouldn't be that hard to go through and make a list of the contributors, and since most of them are active here or elsewhere on the web I don't think it would be too hard to ask permission. Maybe I'll put that on my list of things to do while I'm housebound after surgery.

Well anything you want me to pass on to the contributors in number 10, I can definately pass on.

Also I started developing a record of contributors on the BIP wiki, not sure how complete it was.

AFK

A good number of the cats who contributed to mine, #3, are no longer active here so that's going to be rough.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Faust

The only person who may not want to allow use is Captain Utopia.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Good Reverend Roger

They've already given permission, provided that all we're discussing is a collected work to be obtainable at cost, and that we don't change the order of the articles or any of the content.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Dead Reverend Roger on July 30, 2012, 02:53:17 PM
They've already given permission, provided that all we're discussing is a collected work to be obtainable at cost, and that we don't change the order of the articles or any of the content.

That's cool! My only concern is that someone might object because Lulu would be profiting from providing their printing service. I'm not sure if that could be construed as a copyright issue any more than paying Kinkos to run copies would, though.

If, legally and ethically speaking, putting the compilation on Lulu at cost would not violate any copyrights or the spirit of Intermittens in the eyes of the contributors, I would really like to do it. I'm willing to contact everyone and ask individually if necessary, but it would simplify matters if that's already covered under the distribution agreement.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

On second thought, my concern is kind of silly, because Lulu is profiting from their service, not from the content.

Still, I'd rather ask, to avoid having someone angry because I didn't ask. So, I'll compile a contributor list and start asking.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on July 30, 2012, 07:05:45 PM

That's cool! My only concern is that someone might object because Lulu would be profiting from providing their printing service. I'm not sure if that could be construed as a copyright issue any more than paying Kinkos to run copies would, though.

If, legally and ethically speaking, putting the compilation on Lulu at cost would not violate any copyrights or the spirit of Intermittens in the eyes of the contributors, I would really like to do it. I'm willing to contact everyone and ask individually if necessary, but it would simplify matters if that's already covered under the distribution agreement.

I don't see that it changes anything that people have already agreed to.  The only difference is that you can now get a bound copy of the same thing.

And yeah, Lulu is making its profit on the printing, not on the intellectual property being printed, so I'm reasonably sure there's not an issue there.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Dead Reverend Roger on July 30, 2012, 07:07:25 PM
Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on July 30, 2012, 07:05:45 PM

I don't see that it changes anything that people have already agreed to.  The only difference is that you can now get a bound copy of the same thing.

And yeah, Lulu is making its profit on the printing, not on the intellectual property being printed, so I'm reasonably sure there's not an issue there.

Should I just go for it then? And put a disclaimer on the listing that it's being sold at cost?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel