News:

It's a bad decade to be bipedal, soft and unarmed.

Main Menu

Future? What future? It's 1912, For Fuck's Sake.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, June 11, 2012, 07:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 12, 2012, 09:55:44 PM
Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on June 12, 2012, 09:53:50 PM
This thread is excellent!

I've been having a lot of fun with it.  It never fails to amaze me that collectively speaking, we never learn a damn thing.

I used to have a quote about people forgetting history and being doomed to repeat it, but I wore the fucker out. It never worked, anyway.  :x
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on June 12, 2012, 09:59:49 PM

I've been having a lot of fun with it.  It never fails to amaze me that collectively speaking, we never learn a damn thing.

I used to have a quote about people forgetting history and being doomed to repeat it, but I wore the fucker out. It never worked, anyway.  :x

Alphonse Carr had a better one.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 12, 2012, 10:00:44 PM
Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on June 12, 2012, 09:59:49 PM

Alphonse Carr had a better one.

Just googled.

So HE'S the one who came up with that one.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It's sad, but true. And as soon as anyone seems to be getting a pretty decent handle on things, someone else goes "HEY, LET'S INVADE THOSE GUYS AND TAKE ALL THEIR STUFF". Through this process, cultures which have learned better are endlessly getting wiped out by ones which haven't.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on June 13, 2012, 12:15:17 AM

It's sad, but true. And as soon as anyone seems to be getting a pretty decent handle on things, someone else goes "HEY, LET'S INVADE THOSE GUYS AND TAKE ALL THEIR STUFF". Through this process, cultures which have learned better are endlessly getting wiped out by ones which haven't.

It's not so much that, as "Everything's great, so let's invent problems until we're too frantic to think."

There was NO rational reason for World War I.

There is NO rational reason for the state of the economy OR the weird feeling of impulsive nationalism that is sweeping the world right now.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 13, 2012, 12:18:05 AM
Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on June 13, 2012, 12:15:17 AM

It's not so much that, as "Everything's great, so let's invent problems until we're too frantic to think."

There was NO rational reason for World War I.

There is NO rational reason for the state of the economy OR the weird feeling of impulsive nationalism that is sweeping the world right now.

1. The economy itself is irrational.

2. Sure there's a reason for impulsive nationalism. It masks the panic.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Richter

I've heard it said that the point of learning history is to avoid the mistakes of the past.  Based on the conduct of people, I am certain my teachers were, in that regard, full of it.  In that regard, I also doubt that any member of the human race on this planet actually values peace in any significant way. One psychology professor pointed out how a large scale military action correlates with the percentage of young men to old in a county too.  Right on the heels of being taught that correlation is not causation, of course.

There is no effectively observed timetable for how long it takes humanity to "learn" something.  Even if we define learning as 50% demonstration of a skill or concept, we still fail in regards to anything a history book will tell us we should have "learned" from warfare.  As a species we have the collective attitude towards armed conflict of a Khornate berserker crossed with a 10 year old naive pop star.  Our case is different, our case is RIGHT, and under it all that nagging thought that if we aren't spilling blood over THE CAUSE, then it just must not have and validity.

On a more personal level, it's an attractive thing, being a veteran.  I didn't pick the military as a career option.  Would I go if called?  That's a question that only people who have faced that reality have the right to answer. 

Dad's condensed version of warfare, best case scenario:  You come home, some of your buddies don't.  Even if you're not involved, don't vote for it, or don't support it, when it gets big enough that becomes everyone's reality. 
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on June 11, 2012, 07:37:00 PM
This future is a feeble thing, with no foundation to speak of.  All the important shit that's happened in the past is forgotten or twisted so far out of true that it fades from history into legend, and then into myth.  We are all taught that the constitution was written by plaster saints (or, more recently, by inhuman monsters).  More recently, we've forgotten the things that got us THEN in the same sort of trouble we're in NOW.

And I'm not just talking about bank failures, etc.  I'm also talking about badass motherfuckers like Frank Luke and Albert Ball, Alvin York and Manfred Albrecht Freiherr von Richthofen (Richter's great-grand-daddy, who shot some people down or something).  It is not quite a hundred years since The Great War began, and nobody knows a fucking thing about it. 

This is kind of unfortunate, because the fallout from this round of nasty little wars may very well have the same effects as the fallout from WWI had, in terms of society and economy.

It's also unfortunate simply because it's a damn shame to forget about people like that.  Sure, the war was senseless and really only happened because everyone thought they were due for a war, that there was some sort of obligation to King & country to have a war once a generation.  This may be stupid, but it doesn't reflect on the acts of the men who had to fight in horribly muddy trenches, or duel each other in "stringbags" and "crates" with shitty engines and no parachutes.

They learned then, as we have to relearn today - and I think Cain will agree with me on this - that when you put a rifle in a man's hand, you create a policy-maker.  And that man will do whatever it takes to stay alive, when you put him out on the sharp end.  This will cause him to act in ways that normal people would consider barbaric and insane.  And if the implications of those three facts taken together bother you, the proper time to address those concerns is before you call that man out of the barracks.

To be continued, in this thread.

This thread is what I was talking about.