News:

Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate the fact that you're at least putting effort into sincerely arguing your points. It's an argument I've enjoyed having. It's just that your points are wrong and your reasons for thinking they're right are stupid.

Main Menu

Oh Noez! What about Teh Menz? -Patriarchy isn't a dude's friend EITHER!

Started by Pope Pixie Pickle, August 07, 2012, 11:33:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna Mae Bollocks

True. Love works for gothic romances and shit. Not comedies.
Try telling the networks that, though.

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Faust

Quote from: stelz on April 02, 2013, 11:45:17 PM

There are exceptions: Chocolate, 10 things I hate about you to name a couple. The difference is some thought goes into them as opposed to the tick the boxes formula movies using the tried and tested tropes to bring in the cash.

hrm... 10 things I hate about you was a modern retelling of the Taming of the shrew, a Shakespearian comedy, the male lead isn't an oaf but the wife is the epitome of a anti feminist trope: The shrew, If I'm right it's actually where the derogatory use of that word for a woman came from.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Faust on April 02, 2013, 11:52:51 PM
Quote from: stelz on April 02, 2013, 11:45:17 PM

There are exceptions: Chocolate, 10 things I hate about you to name a couple. The difference is some thought goes into them as opposed to the tick the boxes formula movies using the tried and tested tropes to bring in the cash.

Well yeah, and some of the Jean Harlow stuff. They managed not to make Gable totally oafish, but Gable was NUTS. Pitched fits and insisted on doing his own stunts his whole life. (That's really him getting dragged by a mustang in The Misfits, and he was old. Died soon after.) So maybe it was his own doing.  :lol:

Romantic comedy is a mostly-lost art, though, IMHO.

hrm... 10 things I hate about you was a modern retelling of the Taming of the shrew, a Shakespearian comedy, the male lead isn't an oaf but the wife is the epitome of a anti feminist trope: The shrew, If I'm right it's actually where the derogatory use of that word for a woman came from.

Haven't seen it, but Shakespeare is pretty good source material. That probably had a lot to do with it not sucking.

The Good Reverend Roger

Also, one more "zany mixup" comedy, and I fire up the chainsaw.

Be warned.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Bu🤠ns

Anna Mae Bollocks

Bu🤠ns

Faust

He was and he was a positive role model, he is shown as quirky but never stupid. Part of the humour of the show was how old fashioned he was which was partly the "laugh at the dinosaur" trope, but normally his advice generally paid off for the people who used it.

Bu🤠ns

Faust

Quote from: 🅵🅰🆄🆂🆃 on April 03, 2013, 08:39:34 AM
He was and he was a positive role model, he is shown as quirky but never stupid. Part of the humour of the show was how old fashioned he was which was partly the "laugh at the dinosaur" trope, but normally his advice generally paid off for the people who used it.

Hi past Faust, don't mean to upset you but, one by one any of the people you have respected as role models will let you down, you should probably stop having any now.

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: 🅵🅰🆄🆂🆃 on November 27, 2014, 05:50:11 PM
Quote from: 🅵🅰🆄🆂🆃 on April 03, 2013, 08:39:34 AM

Hi past Faust, don't mean to upset you but, one by one any of the people you have respected as role models will let you down, you should probably stop having any now.

Yep. Dammit.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Bu🤠ns

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Faust on April 02, 2013, 10:46:38 PM
The portrayal of men on television as the leader of a family especially in comedy shows is always as a blundering oaf (Simpsons, Family guy, American dad),  or menacing threatening figure (Primarily when the show is from the point of view of teen child of the family).

The father from American Dad really fits both those categories, not just the first one.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Faust

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on December 07, 2014, 03:14:14 PM
Quote from: Faust on April 02, 2013, 10:46:38 PM
The portrayal of men on television as the leader of a family especially in comedy shows is always as a blundering oaf (Simpsons, Family guy, American dad),  or menacing threatening figure (Primarily when the show is from the point of view of teen child of the family).

The father from American Dad really fits both those categories, not just the first one.

Depending on the episode yes, there are plenty of Stan V's family member episodes and those are the only ones he is competent in.