Oh Noez! What about Teh Menz? -Patriarchy isn't a dude's friend EITHER!

Started by Pope Pixie Pickle, August 07, 2012, 11:33:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Signora Pæsior

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on August 15, 2012, 04:15:24 PM
I am a "CIS male".  This is utterly irrelevant as to whether or not I am an elgatarian.  And I don't see any "feminist space".  I see people who want to be recognized as people and/or who recognize other people as people.  There is no "space" here to enter.  There is no territory upon which to infringe.  You are, or you aren't.  Nothing else matters.

That's fine. But Roger, there are feminist spaces. Whether there should be or not is a different argument, but they exist. There are feminist collectives and feminist blogs and feminist communities and feminist events, and they are spearheaded as such. They're a thing. And when men come along and want to turn the whole things into a discussion about "what about meeeeee", that's when we get frustrated.
Petrochemical Pheremone Buzzard of the Poisoned Water Hole

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on August 15, 2012, 09:30:54 PM
Quote from: Pixie on August 15, 2012, 02:24:44 PM
Quote from: Signor Paesior on August 15, 2012, 02:22:07 PM
"Hey there, I see that you're currently victim to the horrors of Auschwitz. I can imagine how that must feel for you. While not a resident myself,  I am going to tell you all about Auschwitz as the local authority on Auschwitz. What's that? No, I think you're wrong about that detail. Why does that upset you? How come your side of the Auschwitz yay or nay argument is the best and I have to listen to you? If you want your situation to get better, you need to be more respectful towards people who aren't in Auschwitz when they explain Auschwitz to you.What do you mean I can't be an official Auschwitz ally if I go about misrepresenting Auschwitz and insist that the interpretation from within is somehow invalid?" to expand on the already fairly dangerous comparison.

Roger, I'm not reading that into it at all. Maybe I'm more familiar with the positions being represented here and there's a miscommunication I'm reading past. Comparing quotes of statements to those of replies and interpretations is a bit beyond the capabilities of my phone, but the thread reads like "men can absolutely be helpful and involved but cannot be primary sources on the experiences of women", "hey, fuck you for excluding me."
This!
The bolded bit is what "cis man tears" was about. That's what "feminism makes me feel attacked!" and "let's stop calling it feminism because I feel left out!" is about.
(if you don't want the word to be used against you, then don't freak out. Listen. Stop jumping to conclusions. Accept that you might need to change your behavior and that maybe even though you ARE generally feminist, there's maybe some areas you need to work on).

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on August 15, 2012, 09:25:13 PM
Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on August 15, 2012, 09:24:38 PM
Quote from: Guru Quixote on August 15, 2012, 09:16:21 PM
Anyone else here think "cis" is a fucking retarded term?

Since the first night I googled it to see WTF people meant by it.

It also sounds like "Sis". Kind of emasculating. Might even be intentional.

It's just the next "You People".
I don't think it is. I have no idea why that term was chosen to represent that idea, but it was. *shrug* I have some issues with the term, but they go in a different direction than is relevant to this discussion.

I don't think it was deliberately emasculating. Also, the term applies to women, too. Not just men.

No, it doesn't. It's a term to differentiate between trans* people from people whose gender identity matches their bodies. Most people are cis, it's true. But it's not pejorative. It's just a word.

I'm not particularly fond of "cis" as a adjective for women, either. Sounds like a minor character from a 50's sitcom: "Mom and Dad and Bud and Sis."

And it becomes perjorative when you use phrases like "cis man tears".
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Signora Paesior on August 15, 2012, 09:39:10 PM
I am a "CIS male".  This is utterly irrelevant as to whether or not I am an elgatarian.  And I don't see any "feminist space".  I see people who want to be recognized as people and/or who recognize other people as people.  There is no "space" here to enter.  There is no territory upon which to infringe.  You are, or you aren't.  Nothing else matters.

That's fine. But Roger, there are feminist spaces. Whether there should be or not is a different argument, but they exist. There are feminist collectives and feminist blogs and feminist communities and feminist events, and they are spearheaded as such. They're a thing. And when men come along and want to turn the whole things into a discussion about "what about meeeeee", that's when we get frustrated.

That's what you got from page after page of posting about how things have to be egalitarian and crusades end up fucking it all up? You think he wants to put on a uniform?

Pæs

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on August 15, 2012, 05:39:03 PM
Quote from: Dear Departed Uncle Nigel on August 15, 2012, 04:42:25 PM
"Hey there, I see that you're currently victim to the horrors of Auschwitz. I can imagine how that must feel for you. While not a resident myself,  I am going to tell you all about Auschwitz as the local authority on Auschwitz. What's that? No, I think you're wrong about that detail. Why does that upset you? How come your side of the Auschwitz yay or nay argument is the best and I have to listen to you? If you want your situation to get better, you need to be more respectful towards people who aren't in Auschwitz when they explain Auschwitz to you.What do you mean I can't be an official Auschwitz ally if I go about misrepresenting Auschwitz and insist that the interpretation from within is somehow invalid?" to expand on the already fairly dangerous comparison.

Roger, I'm not reading that into it at all. Maybe I'm more familiar with the positions being represented here and there's a miscommunication I'm reading past. Comparing quotes of statements to those of replies and interpretations is a bit beyond the capabilities of my phone, but the thread reads like "men can absolutely be helpful and involved but cannot be primary sources on the experiences of women", "hey, fuck you for excluding me."

YES! Thank you, Paes!

Except that what Paes said had jack shit to do with what I was saying.

Oh, hi. I see you're back on this again after my repeated offers that we examine why you felt that this post was an attack on you or something, that I might clarify if you share the part which felt like a negative response to you which were responded to with further implications of the same.So I just clarified the parts that seemed like potentials vecctors for offending, like explaining that hardly any of the post was pointed at you and that nowhere did I I assume to represent your position.

Ook ook. If you're determined to take offence, fuck you Roger. You miserable fuck. I'm done giving you the benefit of the doubt and can only read your reactions here as attempts at shutting the conversation down with strawmen. Continue to be a snarky asshole about these perceived slights well after they are addressed, though. Just donMt go blaming anyone else when that attitude doesn't help the conversation.

Juana

Just like "white" becomes pejorative when someone says "white tears", Stellz? I explain my word choice below, btw.

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on August 15, 2012, 02:29:04 PM
Quote from: Pixie on August 15, 2012, 02:24:44 PM

This!

Right, then, if that's how I'm coming off, then I am neither suitable for this conversation or the general struggle it describes.  Signor Paisor can keep explaining my position for me, I guess, since he feels he is capable of stating what I really think.
Roger, please chill out. No one is attacking you. While I an frustrated with you (you keep putting words in my mouth and I'd like it if you'd stop, please), I have not observed you doing the crying. I never saw you bitch about how feminism makes you feel sad or whatever.

This. You being cis is irrelevant until you, or any other dude, make it relevant. I added "cis" to the "man tears" because transmen don't exactly have the same privileges you do (and again, privilege is nothing to be ashamed of, just something to be aware of) or experience things the same way. I was trying to be more specific.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Signora Pæsior

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on August 15, 2012, 09:42:48 PM

That's what you got from page after page of posting about how things have to be egalitarian and crusades end up fucking it all up? You think he wants to put on a uniform?

No. I didn't. What?
Petrochemical Pheremone Buzzard of the Poisoned Water Hole

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on August 15, 2012, 02:27:25 PM

That, of course, has nothing to do with anything I said.

It does, however, bring up an interesting question:  Why are men supposed to be incapable of being primary sources on eglatarianism?  Or is the current definition (in this thread) of feminism gone from "eglatarianism" to "Women's historical and current problems"?

I've heard both definitions of feminism.  One is inclusive, and one is exclusive.  I prefer the inclusive version that states a goal of "all people of all genders, races, and orientations are and should be considered equal members in society".

If feminism is going to go back to being doublespeak for the exclusive one, I hope it crashes and burns. The first wave never spoke for me and I still resent those lunatics presuming to represent me, or anybody else.

Juana

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on August 15, 2012, 03:16:36 PM
Quote from: Signor Paesior on August 15, 2012, 03:08:04 PM
Quote from: Gen. Disregard on August 15, 2012, 02:48:18 PM
I don't read ANYONE in this thread bashing Feminism, big F.  What I see are some expressing that any strain or version of feminism, little f, that is practiced to exclude men because they are men and don't have the experience of being women, is a strain that is probably too insular for it's own good.

Who is advocating the exclusion of men and will anyone with that point of contention quote the offending suggestion so it can be clarified or defended?

Well, here's one:

Quote from: Signora Paesior on August 15, 2012, 12:22:11 PM

The only thing I would add is that in my experience, the best male allies are the ones who come in knowing that they're going to have to earn trust from some feminists and just, you know, quietly do that instead of whining about how Really Really Nice They Are, Why Are You Oppressing Me With Your Mistrust.

To everyone who agrees with the above statement:

I am not fucking required to gain anyone's trust.  I am required as a biped to be an eglatarian, defined as "all human beings are equal and to be judged - when judgement is necessary - according to their individual merits".  I do not require that anyone trust me for me to do that.  I am not joining a club, or even an organization.  Your or anyone else's "trust" is meaningless in this context.  I am an elgatarian because it is the right thing to do.

So, you know, fuck this "alliance" business.  I am going to do what works, which is to set an example, and not tolerate inequality in my workplace, the crew I run, my family, my home, or my social circle.  Alliances lead to dominance games, and it's become fairly self-evident, at least in this group, that this becomes counterproductive and requires a uniform. 

So you can take your trust requirement and shove it where the sun doesn't shine.  I'm not doing this for you, and I do not require the approval of other feminists to be a feminist.

And if that's not good enough, then too fucking bad.

There are other examples upthread.  I can get into them, if you like.
We use the word "allies" because (I dread bring this up again) you can't be a woman or a female. It acknowledges that, that's all.

That is, btw, what a good ally does.

Can I ask you what sort of uniform you think we're trying to get you to wear? Because I'm not seeing it.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Signora Paesior on August 15, 2012, 09:48:52 PM
Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on August 15, 2012, 09:42:48 PM

No. I didn't. What?

Quote from: Signora Paesior on August 15, 2012, 09:48:52 PMThat's fine. But Roger, there are feminist spaces. Whether there should be or not is a different argument, but they exist. There are feminist collectives and feminist blogs and feminist communities and feminist events, and they are spearheaded as such. They're a thing. And when men come along and want to turn the whole things into a discussion about "what about meeeeee", that's when we get frustrated.

Juana

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on August 15, 2012, 03:25:33 PM
Oh come on Spags, this was a really good conversation... let's not ruin it before 50 pages!!! :D

I keep seeing layers in the conversation of people talking past each other. The women are making some excellent points, the guys are making some excellent points... but both sides seem to be misinterpreting the intent behind those points (in my opinion).

First off, I have to say that if I had lived my whole life being treated differently because of my race, sex etc that would feel pretty shitty and I would be pissed off about it. So full points to the girls as to why this is an intense issue.

Secondly, if I go through my day thinking people are equal and treating people as equal and then some person says "Well, you say curse word X and therefore are a misogynist and are coming from 'privilege'" then I'm gonna get defensive.

In my opinion, its probably better for the health of this debate to recognize both of these points. The women might yell a bit louder or make some insulting remarks, because they've been abused by society. Anyone coming out of an abusive situation tends to yell pretty loudly about it, even if its not the best tactic for convincing other people. The guys might be a little defensive, especially if they are told subjective opinions as fact "If you say cunt/pussy etc you ARE a misogynist", "If you aren't a woman you CAN'T understand...", simply because they feel like they're being attacked and lumped in with the knuckle dragging, male monkeys that embarrass the hell out of the rest of us guys.

Cain said e-Prime would be useful in this and I think he's right. (though I didn't want to say it since me and e-Prime comments turn threads into hours of drift.)

But, lets compare:

"If you say cunt/pussy etc you ARE a misogynist"

"If you use cunt/pussy as a slur, you appear misogynistic to many women."

The first is an opinion, being presented as fact. The second is fact being presented as fact.

That being said, I think especially here in this debate that getting defensive and digging in your heels as a guy isn't really useful. I may get shit on for this (and I hope not because I'm not trying to be misogynistic here) but if you're dealing with people that have been abused, you gotta make some allowances for behavior. Women have been abused, they're pissed, they might say shit that sounds like angry accusations and might even hurt, but FFS, let it go. Read through the anger and see what they're trying to say. I for one have been enjoying the hell out of this thread and the earlier one. It's really made me focus on a topic I hadn't paid much attention to previously.
This.

The Good Reverend Roger

So, what I'm hearing here is that perjorative use of terminology is a one-way street.  If it's ME doing it, it's bad.  If it's YOU doing it, it's okay.

And I'm hearing that objecting to being told that I cannot make value decisions about elgatarianism is the same as saying "look at meeeeeeeeeeee", because I cannot possibly have any experience at all in the consequences of dehumanizing people.

I don't much care for this "new equality".  It sounds too much like the old kind.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on August 15, 2012, 03:54:19 PM
Quote from: Dear Departed Uncle Nigel on August 15, 2012, 05:18:57 AM
Quote from: Net on August 15, 2012, 05:08:53 AM
The following is a rationalization that my brain came up with. I know it's not right in spite of there being a little truth to it, but I thought I'd offer it up as an example of a way that patriarchal ideas can manifest. I'm also depositing it here for the sake of dissection.

Women tend to be physically smaller and have less upper body strength than men, so why is it such a no-no to link femininity to weakness? On one hand I hear women saying that men don't understand how inequality in strength and size fuels feelings of vulnerability around men, yet women seem to not want womanhood or femininity otherwise linked with weakness.

Unfortunately, it's entirely appropriate for women to be concerned about being physically overpowered as it's basic fact that most men are stronger than most women. For the average man, such a concern is less warranted as he's likely to have a more even match when push comes to shove. So when guys disparage one another using words conceptually linked to women it seems less about putting women down and more an inference that what is an appropriate concern for a woman is often not an appropriate concern for man.

OK, I'm going to do one of those comparisons that people hate so much. Before I do, I want to make clear that I am doing this purely because I find it incredibly effective in highlighting the issue in terms that most of us are already familiar with, and not because I in any way think you endorse these views.

QuoteBlacks tend to be lower income and have less material wealth than whites, so why is it such a no-no to link blackness to poverty? On one hand I hear blacks saying that whites don't understand how inequality in income and assets fuels feelings of oppression and disparity around whites, yet blacks seem to not want African origins or dark skin otherwise linked with poverty.

Unfortunately, it's entirely appropriate for blacks to be concerned about being economically discriminated against as it's basic fact that most whites are paid more than most blacks. For the average white person, such a concern is less warranted as they're likely to have a more even match when applying for work. So when whites disparage one another using words conceptually linked to blacks it seems less about putting blacks down and more an inference that what is an appropriate concern for a black person is often not an appropriate concern for a white person.

Question (not gauntlet): Aren't there more poor Blacks because of a rigged social/economic system? If everybody had the same advantages here, the numbers would be different, obviously. Men don't have more upper-body strength because of better nutrition or because gyms keep women out, so I'm not sure about this analogy.

I don't have a problem with being seen as inherently physically weaker, it doesn't mean "inferior" anyway. We have other things we tend to do better, we're just as good, but not identical. I like being able to ask guys to to heavy lifting because they know it's easier for them. It would be another story if I'd grown up watching boys get better food and play outdoors while I was locked in a room mending socks or something.

Yes, but the specific issue being addressed here is not whether blacks are statistically more likely to be poor, but what using a word that denotes blackness as an insult tells us about our society.

Just as the specific issue with calling men "pussies" or "little girls" is not whether women are weaker overall than men are, but what using femininity as an insult tells us about our society.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on August 15, 2012, 09:45:14 PM
This. You being cis is irrelevant until you, or any other dude, make it relevant.

Until the man-tears start, of course.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Signor Paesior on August 15, 2012, 09:43:48 PM
Ook ook. If you're determined to take offence, fuck you Roger. You miserable fuck. I'm done giving you the benefit of the doubt and can only read your reactions here as attempts at shutting the conversation down with strawmen.

What the gibbering fuck are you talking about?

The Good Reverend Roger

May I respectfully suggest you look at the title of this thread?