News:

No, we're not mercenaries. We just carry weapons and kill things for the joy of the experience.

Main Menu

How China Deals With Corruption

Started by Salty, June 21, 2013, 09:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Junkenstein

I like how this:

QuoteGiven the opaque nature of this extrajudicial system and reports of abuse, many within human rights circles have long called for reform to the system. However, as most victims of the process are publicly considered villains themselves, broad-based demand for changes to the shuanggui system lack an interest group to support them. User comments on a story investigating the complex business interests surrounding Jia Jiuxiang's fall from grace reveal how mixed public opinion is. In the eyes of one commenter, "If all the executive directors and vice directors from every Chinese court [who almost invariably are members of the Communist Party] were shot, it would not be an injustice to many." However, another user asked: "How can it be that the power of the Discipline inspection committee is greater than all other departments? It's not transparent, not open, and it sits above the law."

could easily be this:

QuoteGiven the opaque nature of this extrajudicial system and reports of abuse, many within human rights circles have long called for reform to the system. However, as most victims of the process are publicly considered villains themselves, broad-based demand for changes to the (INSERT ORG OF CHOICE) system lack an interest group to support them. User comments on a story investigating the complex business interests surrounding Obama's fall from grace reveal how mixed public opinion is. In the eyes of one commenter, "If all the executive directors and vice directors from every court [who almost invariably are members of the Political elite] were shot, it would not be an injustice to many." However, another user asked: "How can it be that the power of the (REPEAT ORG OF CHOICE) is greater than all other departments? It's not transparent, not open, and it sits above the law."
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

The Atlantic had another piece about the shuanggui system a few months back

http://www.theatlantic.com/china/archive/2013/04/being-a-chinese-official-not-all-its-cracked-up-to-be/275348/?buffer_share=a29de&utm_source=Sinocism+Newsletter

QuoteIn the last two weeks, two Chinese officials have mysteriously died after being detained by authorities under the party's internal discipline system, shuanggui. The family of Jia Jiuxiang, vice president of a court in Henan province, said Jia turned up badly bruised at a local hospital after being detained for 11 days. He died on the morning of April 25.

A week ago, a Chinese official by the name of Yu Qiyi died after arriving in a local hospital in Zhejiang province beaten, with blood coming out of his nose and ears . Chinese state media said Yu had "suffered an accident" while being questioned by party discipline officials. In both cases, reports said the officials were being investigated for corruption, but no more details were given.

Jia and Yu are just two examples of many more officials subject to shuanggui, which translates roughly as "double regulation," a way of keeping cadres in check that is essentially a separate, opaque, judicial system just for party and government officials.

QuoteNow, more officials may be at risk under an anti-corruption campaign launched by China's new leader Xi Jinping. The party appointed one of its most well-respected officials, Wang Qishan, as head of the Central Commission for Discipline Inspection (CCDI), which implements the shuanggui -- a sign some have taken to mean a serious crackdown is underway. Authorities say they have investigated over 660,000 officials over the past five years.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Left

Creepy...
Yet I find myself fantasizing about Goldman Sachs executives being subjected to this factfinding method... :evil:
Hope was the thing with feathers.
I smacked it with a hammer until it was red and squashy

Salty

That's a lot of people. Makes you think if THEY aren't considering a certain, shall we say, abundance of human beings.

I mean, over 600,000?

That's just absurd.

Junkenstein

Quote from: hylierandom, A.D.D. on June 22, 2013, 02:11:22 AM
Creepy...
Yet I find myself fantasizing about Goldman Sachs executives being subjected to this factfinding method... :evil:

I suspect this is one of the main reasons that most western police forces seem to be becoming increasingly like military personnel.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Salty

Quote from: Junkenstein on June 22, 2013, 03:05:14 AM
Quote from: hylierandom, A.D.D. on June 22, 2013, 02:11:22 AM
Creepy...

I suspect this is one of the main reasons that most western police forces seem to be becoming increasingly like military personnel.

And why NYPD told those Goldman Sachs higher ups they may want to consider investing in personal firearms a few years back.

Gee, well...golly, it almost seems like SOMEBODY is picking up on the vibes people are putting down RE Certain CEOs.

Poppycock and tomfoolery!

Let us all just agree that people are put in power for a reason, and we shouldn't question it. We should let small groups of highly skilled tradesman to question it slowly, delicately, right next door to your family.