News:

Feel my amazing brain. Go on, touch it!

Main Menu

Shut up shutting up.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, August 14, 2012, 02:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

I think it has potential to be a winning strategy.

I honestly believe a lot of where we are right now is because while everyone (barring a vocal minority - say 15% of any given population) think where we are sucks and we really need to change a lot of things, no-one's exactly sure how or what to replace them with.

Back in the day, you had a lot of blueprints for ways to change the state of affairs.  There was the liberal-democratic blueprint, the Marxist one, the Fascist one etc.  Either those didn't work out as well as intended, or collapsed under the weight of their own contradictions.  So, there is no going back.  Even if we look at the 1990s, the heyday of liberal capitalism, when things looked a lot better than they do now, well, the trends were still not favourable in the long run. 

But you can't sell people on an unknown future.  And even if you can figure out the vision, you still need a strategy consummate with that vision to actualize it.

Hence, thinking.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on August 17, 2012, 02:00:57 PM
Quote from: Dear Departed Uncle Nigel on August 17, 2012, 05:33:51 AM
All right, I did a re-read of the OP and this is what I got:

TALK ABOUT IT

GET UP ON THE BELLTOWER AND SHOUT ABOUT IT

But do it in a way that gets people to listen instead of turning off. Don't come off as part of the lunatic fringe, don't sound like a wacko, and don't alienate the people you want to convince.

Don't let them dismiss you. SHUT UP SHUTTING UP in a way that makes them listen.

Do I got it?

Yep, unless you want to be a Good Citizen, in which case you should SHUT UP. 

Sorry about the outburst, I was just a little frustrated, and I forgot about SHUTTING UP.  :lulz:

:lulz:

My life's mission is to SHUT UP SHUTTING UP.

Part of the reason I have worked so hard to learn to be articulate and convincing is so that I can speak in front of an audience or write an essay that changes the way that people think. People give talking about stuff a bad rap, as if it doesn't change anything, but talking about stuff is the biggest weapon in the arsenal of change. Information transfer is the basis of everything human; it's our core technology. Cultures change due to information transfer. That's why media control and censorship is such a big deal.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."