News:

PD.com: We're like the bugs in the Starship Troopers movie: infinite, unceasing, unstoppable....and our leader looks like a huge vagina

Main Menu

A few thoughts on the big feminism discussion blowup.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, August 28, 2012, 05:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juana

Pretty good analysis, I think, and a good lesson for us all. I'll try to keep it in mind. :)
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 28, 2012, 06:10:37 PM
Quote from: East Coast Hustle on August 28, 2012, 06:05:38 PM
I like this, but I have to disagree with the bit about understanding when other people find humor offensive. IMO, if someone else finds humor offensive, that is completely 100% their problem. There may be times when trying to inject humor into a conversation is not particularly appropriate, but the humor itself is not and should not be the problem.

I'm not saying humor in general.  I'm saying that when someone makes a point they've obviously put a lot of thought into, it's humiliating as hell to have it appear to be dismissed with a one-liner.  It's not the JOKE that's offensive, it's the casual or seemingly casual dismissal of their effort.

Gotcha. We were saying the same thing, I just didn't notice you were saying it. Which seems to dovetail nicely with the OP. :lulz:
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"