40-year old Cheddar Cheese for sale in Wisconsin

Started by Suu, August 30, 2012, 04:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 31, 2012, 12:28:12 AM
Quote from: East Coast Hustle on August 31, 2012, 12:25:07 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on August 30, 2012, 11:05:06 PM
Quote from: East Coast Hustle on August 30, 2012, 10:49:00 PM
Mine wasn't a pun. I actually have a dangerously pointed erection thinking about this cheese.

Wisconsin needs men like you ECH. Have you considered going into politics?

I thought about it briefly (and actually ran for public office once) but upon closer examination I realized that I do, in fact, have a soul.

It was suggested to me last spring that I run for state level congress.  I had to decline, because I would have to tell my parents that I was a male prostitute or a glory hole attendant so they wouldn't be so ashamed.

I would definitely go all out trying to find means to fund your campaign. We need intelligence and spine in government.  There's no shame in being a congressperson, just a politician.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

AFK

I'm gonna run when my State Rep retires or terms out.  I think I would have a decent shot at it.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on August 31, 2012, 12:33:19 AM
Mine wasn't a pun. I actually have a dangerously pointed erection thinking about this cheese.

I thought about it briefly (and actually ran for public office once) but upon closer examination I realized that I do, in fact, have a soul.
Well, having a soul would seem a disadvantage, but it does give you opportunity for talking points that nobody else has.  Plus you'll definitely get the disabled vote!  We need Real Soul here in Wisconsin. So far it's just been Oligarchical Country, Rebel Rap, and the Cheese Lobby's all pervasive influence.

Not to derail the thread too much, but what kind of position did you run for?

Town council in a small town in Maine. I didn't win, but if everybody who has subsequently told me they voted for me can be believed, I actually won with about 85% of the vote
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on August 31, 2012, 01:22:39 AM

Well, having a soul would seem a disadvantage, but it does give you opportunity for talking points that nobody else has.  Plus you'll definitely get the disabled vote!  We need Real Soul here in Wisconsin. So far it's just been Oligarchical Country, Rebel Rap, and the Cheese Lobby's all pervasive influence.

Town council in a small town in Maine. I didn't win, but if everybody who has subsequently told me they voted for me can be believed, I actually won with about 85% of the vote
:argh!:
Clearly some form of conspiracy. 

anyway back to ancient Cheddar, I've tried A LOT of cheese and am unsure of how sharp a cheddar can be.  I've had some that were so strong that only the tiniest bits were palatable. If you get the dosage per cracker right though it's definitely awesome.  After 40 years i can imagine that the ounce per sale scale mentioned in the OP article might just be quite the purchase.

It says that the cheese goes on sale Oct. 6.  I may be able to arrange to visit the fam back in Racine around then and get me some.  What's an acceptable method of storing cheese long term ECH? IIRC you are a chef yes?
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

I have not got a lot of time to post. Class to get to.  ECH if you or anybody else here really wants some of this Cheddar from the Year of Nixon's Election I will happily act as an agent, at cost, in it's acquisition.  Consider it my way of expressing sincere appreciation for this forum and the responsible parties.  Not joking, I really will help get this cheese IF I am able.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

AFK

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Well, that's disturbing.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on August 31, 2012, 11:59:40 PM
That's a gouda boy.
The sharpness and pungency of thy punnery hath marked thee a horrible muenster.
Havarti foul curd!  :link:

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

AFK

The Wizard Joseph

You got me. I'll have to just do cheddar next time.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on September 01, 2012, 01:30:34 PM

Well, that's disturbing.

Not really. It's small-town Maine. Everybody is nice enough to lie.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on September 01, 2012, 11:20:01 PM
Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on September 01, 2012, 01:30:34 PM

Well, that's disturbing.

Not really. It's small-town Maine. Everybody is nice enough to lie.

Ahhhh, OK. I wouldn't have assumed that, so I was thinking that you had some disturbing evidence that small-time elections are rigged.  :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

East Coast Hustle

Oh, and WizJo, I appreciate your offer to play cheese middleman but unless you want to hold onto said cheese for a few months until I get back home and can take delivery of it, it's probably not worth the bother. I'm flying out tonight and probably won't be back until at least thanksgiving.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on September 02, 2012, 04:26:35 PM
Oh, and WizJo, I appreciate your offer to play cheese middleman but unless you want to hold onto said cheese for a few months until I get back home and can take delivery of it, it's probably not worth the bother. I'm flying out tonight and probably won't be back until at least thanksgiving.

Hey, fair enough.  I am likely to wind up in the vicinity shortly after it goes on sale and thought I'd offer.  It so happens that my Pops is a total freak for food oddities and the mere suggestion would likely inspire an immediate pilgrimage. I may just wind up doing it anyway and will at least write a review if I do.

The costs would likely be extravagant anyway, but a little science and UPS priority overnight would likely prevent a catastrophe. If I have excess cash at the time and the cheese proves genuinely superior I will definitely try to put an ounce on reserve for you at cost plus shipping.  Do you know of anything that I could coat it with to prevent deterioration or mold getting to it first? Is it likely to take well to a freeze?

I hope your trip proves safe and fruitful!

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl