News:

"At the teaparties they only dunked bags into cups of water...because they didn't want to break the law. And that just about sums up America's revolutionary spirit."

Main Menu

Question about A Cracker Reviewing Blaxploitation

Started by hooplala, August 08, 2012, 05:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on August 08, 2012, 07:17:34 PM
If you're gonna do Blaxploitation, for God's sake, do it right.

Black Belt Jones is quite possible the finest cinema in American history.

I'm starting with movies I know and either love and/or hate, but I will add that to the list... I had never heard of it before.  Should I be embarrassed?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hoopla on August 08, 2012, 08:25:22 PM

I'm starting with movies I know and either love and/or hate, but I will add that to the list... I had never heard of it before.  Should I be embarrassed?

Look it up.  It's a GEM.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

hooplala

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on August 08, 2012, 09:27:07 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on August 08, 2012, 08:25:22 PM

Look it up.  It's a GEM.

Will do!  Thanks Roger.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Mangrove

Hoops,

Go for it. You're an intelligent dude and can write well. Anyone who reads your review(s) and gets all white-guilty, 'OMG this is Racist!' is probably too stupid to be reading your review in the first place.

Reviewing Blaxploitation films is no different than writing about Kung-fu movies. It's just a movie genre. I have family and good friends from Hong Kong, they never had a problem with me them. Quite the opposite in fact, I used to trade movies with one of my Asian work colleagues. It was something fun to talk about over lunch.

There's no reason why black movie goers wouldn't enjoy or be interested in what you write. Hell, unless you have a 'I'm white and CANADIAN' disclaimer on your reviews, you don't know what people will assume about your skin colour.

Mang'

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

hooplala

Yeah, I pretty much always fully intended to go ahead anyway, I was just curious if there was a faction who thought it was somehow taboo.  Also, they're video reviews, so it's pretty clear I'm a big ol' honkie.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Bu🤠ns

I think the only "THAT'S RACIST!" you'll get is if you somehow advocate the way films perpetuate negative stereotypes for African Americans.  Maybe you might want to acknowledge that point of view right away for more sensitive readers.

hooplala

Quote from: Bu☆ns on August 10, 2012, 10:12:22 PM
I think the only "THAT'S RACIST!" you'll get is if you somehow advocate the way films perpetuate negative stereotypes for African Americans.  Maybe you might want to acknowledge that point of view right away for more sensitive readers.

Agree completely.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Juana

Yeah, mention that you realize its exploitative and you should be good, I think.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

hooplala

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman