How most men, even good caring men, have no clue what women go through

Started by ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞, September 06, 2012, 10:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

I debated whether or not to share this story.

And then I debated whether or not to put it on Tumblr...but I decided it was important.  Because in my own way, I can (unfortunately) point out exactly what is wrong with men when they don't realize how hard it is to be a woman.  How we do not have equal opportunities and freedoms in everyday life.  How most men, even good caring men, have no clue what we go through on a daily basis just trying to live our lives.

http://unwinona.tumblr.com/post/30861660109/i-debated-whether-or-not-to-share-this-story
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Luna

Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Lenin McCarthy

That post genuinely surprised me. And scared me. Maybe because it's probably less common in Norway, partly because it's a less patriarchal society and partly because talking to people on the train is rare.

Reginald Ret

A typical male reply would be:
Take some self-defence classes.
or
Learn to handle a knife.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Luna

Quote from: :regret: on September 06, 2012, 12:13:54 PM
or
Learn to handle a knife.

The attitude that it's okay for men to be assholes, women just need to learn how deal with it and, if necessary, defend themselves is part of the problem, not a solution.

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Verbal Mike

Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Signora Pæsior

Petrochemical Pheremone Buzzard of the Poisoned Water Hole

Luna

Quote from: Signora Paesior on September 06, 2012, 12:51:51 PM
I really, really wish this shocked me  :sad:

That'd be nice, wouldn't it?

Glad somebody took the time to sit down and write it out.

Quote from: Luna on September 06, 2012, 11:25:47 AM
Thanks for sharing, Net.  People need to see this shit.

I found it to be very well written and yeah, necessary for it to be shared.

The Wizard Joseph

Definitely, well written and well worth the read. The screamer with the bike is a bit of an extreme case, but by no means uncommon sadly.  The description of the daily harassment is pretty much dead on with similar conversations and observations I've had. Thanks Net.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

hooplala

Quote from: Luna on September 06, 2012, 12:32:19 PM
or
Learn to handle a knife.

The attitude that it's okay for men to be assholes, women just need to learn how deal with it and, if necessary, defend themselves is part of the problem, not a solution.

It's certainly not ok for men to act like this, but I think it is fair to say that women should learn to defend themselves.  So should men.  Everyone should know basic defense skills.

Having said that... the first couple situations are grotesque and barbaric, but I can't say they surprised me... the bicycle man, however, was a different matter.  Ladies, please enlighten me, is that sort of berserk behavior common?  He sounded more genuinely mentally ill to me, than just a run-of-the-mill male asshole... am I wrong?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

or
Learn to handle a knife.

How would self-defense or knife-handling skills prevent her from being repeatedly verbally harassed?

Should she wear a sign that says "I KNOW KUNG FU" and twirl a butterfly knife while she reads her book?

Luna

Quote from: Hoopla on September 06, 2012, 01:27:29 PM
or
Learn to handle a knife.

It's certainly not ok for men to act like this, but I think it is fair to say that women should learn to defend themselves.  So should men.  Everyone should know basic defense skills.

Having said that... the first couple situations are grotesque and barbaric, but I can't say they surprised me... the bicycle man, however, was a different matter.  Ladies, please enlighten me, is that sort of berserk behavior common?  He sounded more genuinely mentally ill to me, than just a run-of-the-mill male asshole... am I wrong?

Quite likely he was off his rocker.

However, the simple fact remains that, if you're female, you never know if the random guy who walks into a near empty public transport and decides to sit next to you is going to lose his shit if you don't give him the attention he wants.

It's considered OKAY for a man to interrupt a woman who's obviously engaged in a book, because conversation with him is rated more important than a solitary activity.  He "just wanted to talk," and if she turns him down, she's being "rude," at best.

When I'm on the bus, I wear earphones, even if I'm not listening to music.  Tends to cut down on the interruptions when I'm trying to read...  But, even if you're not really aware you're doing it, as a lone female, you're always aware of who's getting close to your personal space, and doing a quick threat assessment. 

Signora Pæsior

Quote from: Hoopla on September 06, 2012, 01:27:29 PM
or
Learn to handle a knife.

Speaking from experience, all the defence skills in the world don't necessarily make you feel safer when alone with someone who has a foot and 100 pounds on you.  :|

And, unfortunately... while not everyday occurrences, situations like this aren't what I would call uncommon, either.
Petrochemical Pheremone Buzzard of the Poisoned Water Hole

hooplala

No, self defense skills won't make you feel safer against anyone larger than you, and they won't stop assholes from beginning unrequested conversations... but they are still handy to have.

And no Luna, it's not considered OK for a man to interrupt a woman who's obviously engaged in a book, but people obviously do it anyway.  People tend to do what they think they can get away with.  The shitty thing is most of these guys likely think they are doing nothing wrong.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman