News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

A thread about the Black Death...

Started by AFK, September 06, 2012, 12:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Luna

Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

East Coast Hustle

It's not really that uncommon in parts of the west. Getting the plague is something of a pastime for the tweekers in eastern Oregon.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Dark Monk

Squirrels carry it in Sacramento and people STILL feed them.
I thought this is all there is,
but now I know you are so much more.
I want to upgrade from my simple eight bits,
but will you still love me when I'm sixty-four?
~MIAB~

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

There are a few cases every year, almost always during the summer... the first case this year was in New Mexico, in May. Most reported cases survive because it's easily treated with antibiotics.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00026077.htm
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm55d825a1.htm
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6007a4.htm

RWHN, weren't you supposed to be grieviously offended that I didn't believe you had a Masters degree in Public Health? This isn't helping, bro. This shit is the FIRST thing anyone going into public health learns about. I believe you have a degree of some kind, just not an MPH as you tried to lead on.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

Yersinia Pestis is a different variety OF the Bubonic which caused the Black Death. Bubonic Plague itself is NOT the Black Death. That epidemic was caused because everyone in Europe north of the Alps had walking pneumonia during the Mini Ice Age. My preemptive master's thesis is on the correlation between climate change, the Black Death, and clothing styles from the 14th to 16th centuries.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Chaser

So why isn't the Black Death still a thing?

Suu

Because the warming period in the 16th century stopped people from being pneumatic, in addition to changes in fashion to accommodate climate more effectively. It's always been "around," but changes in hygienic habits and the advent of antibiotics stopped that mutation from being a significant threat.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Also, she doesn't have roseys, nor did they say that she had roseys or any form of a rash. Thus: NOT Black Death, just Bubonic Plague.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Suu on September 06, 2012, 07:38:51 PM
Yersinia Pestis is a different variety OF the Bubonic which caused the Black Death. Bubonic Plague itself is NOT the Black Death. That epidemic was caused because everyone in Europe north of the Alps had walking pneumonia during the Mini Ice Age. My preemptive master's thesis is on the correlation between climate change, the Black Death, and clothing styles from the 14th to 16th centuries.

Wait wat really?

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

Well, think about it...

In the 1300s, Europeans were wearing tighter fitting garments of thicker wools that locked in moisture and vermin. In more northern climates, they would LAYER it. (South of the Alps in Italy and Byzantium, they wore linen and less layers, and they were not impacted as much by the disease as France and Germany.)

By the time the 1500s came around, cotton was being introduced SLOWLY (it was fucking expensive,) linen and silk were becoming more affordable in the northern lands due to the movement of cultivation to Italy via Byzantium following the sack of Constantinople in 1453, as well as a HUGE style change which resulted in less clothing actually worn against the body. Detachable sleeves, farthingales to open skirts rather than layers of fabric, etc.

There is a documented massive change in climate between 1350 and 1550. Like...temps hitting 100*F+  in London during the reign of Henry VIII. They can also tell by vegetation and soil and such.

Cain

There's also the Mongols reopening the Silk Road traderoute, allowing Central Asian diseases to break out of their natural habitat and run rampant through the Middle East and Europe, where there was little in the way of natural immunity.  While a previously unknown ancestral variant of Bubonic Plague is conclusively responsible for a large amount of deaths, it seems more likely that Europeans were attacked by a variety of dieases from that region during the same period, which allows for the wide amount symptoms and abnormally large death toll.

AFK

Meh, sorry, a horrid awful disease almost killed a little girl.  Black Death, Yffing Persidis, whatever. 

Are we all happy now?
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Suu

Quote from: Cain on September 06, 2012, 07:59:33 PM
There's also the Mongols reopening the Silk Road traderoute, allowing Central Asian diseases to break out of their natural habitat and run rampant through the Middle East and Europe, where there was little in the way of natural immunity.  While a previously unknown ancestral variant of Bubonic Plague is conclusively responsible for a large amount of deaths, it seems more likely that Europeans were attacked by a variety of dieases from that region during the same period, which allows for the wide amount symptoms and abnormally large death toll.

Indeed. Most plagues moved East. The Antonine Plague is the first documented event of such an epidemic. It appears to be the first time smallpox was introduced to western society.

Cain

The Mongols using it as biological warfare against the Genoese didn't exactly help matters, either.