News:

PD.com: Worse than that time when I conjured a handkerchief from that deaf kid's ear.

Main Menu

REM tells FOX to stop using their song.

Started by Suu, September 07, 2012, 04:08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

LMNO

They don't need permission.  They only need to pay ASCAP.  Same with the RNC/Twisted Sister bullshit.

hooplala

REM should be thrilled anyone remembers them at all at this point.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

AFK

Oh, yes, because the implication is that the DEMS are all heathen atheists right?  Are they really that stupid?  Oh, no, they know that their audience is that stupid.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 07, 2012, 04:12:49 PM
They don't need permission.  They only need to pay ASCAP.  Same with the RNC/Twisted Sister bullshit.

Yes, but when an artist does this, it has less to do with the permission and more as a heads up to everyone that they disapprove. I think that if you're going to use someone's music within a political context, asking them if you can is the right thing to do. With this instance, it's to mock the DNC. Ok, you can't really do anything with that. As far as Twisted Sister though, Paul Ryan was using it in the campaign. Twisted Sister is well within their rights to tell him to cut it out, since to some, that would imply some sort of endorsement of the candidate.

And, this happens every 4 years anyway, and the Republicans seem to be the ones to piss off some musician the most frequently. If a politician wanted to use an Anarchangel song, I would suggest to the rest of the band that we demand a hefty chunk of money, and then donate a large part of that to their opponent's campaign.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Cain

If only the Dems were heathen atheists.  But that would be dangerously close to being interesting (dangerously close by their standards, at least).

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 07, 2012, 04:12:49 PM

The article said "unlicensed and unauthorized use"... doesn't that mean they didn't pay ASCAP?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

That's the assertion... Hm. I may have read it wrong. If played at rallies, that's a performance, and the organizers would pay a small amount to ASCAP. But if this was used on TV, I think the rules are different. It's been a while since I tutored Music Business, so I'm a bit rusty.