News:

I live in the Promised Land, except the Chosen People are all trying to get out. 

Main Menu

Biofeedback for spags

Started by LMNO, September 07, 2012, 08:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

It is. I'm going to try and be more cognizant of what my body is doing so that it has beneficial effects on my mental state.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Chaser

Get into the deadlifts son.
I feel like I'm walking around with a back brace 24/7.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Chaser on September 08, 2012, 06:49:23 AM
Get into the deadlifts son.
I feel like I'm walking around with a back brace 24/7.

I prefer getting into "power of life and death over a bunch of people".  It's like working out, only you do it with your lower GI tract.

Fortunately for my employees, I am a nice guy who has their best interests at heart.  As long as they leave me alone while I'm sleeping in my office.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Wizard Joseph

I've been learning Chi Gong a little bit here and there from the folks at my dojo. I am in no way any kind of expert, but some of the waking up of the body techniques are quite interesting.

There's simple hand and body rubbing. This improves circulation a bit and if you are focusing on the feeling gives you the sense of your whole body.  this warm up bit has an interesting piece where you just kind of make "funny faces" rolling your eyes and just generally doing random stuff to activate the nerves of the face and stretch the muscles. It looks weird as hell, but definitely puts a slight alteration on the consciousness.  You can do this while washing your body in the shower, the hot water does the job marvelously. The real key seems to be consciously focusing your attention on the sensation and feedback from the body.

The chi cultivation and balancing exercises can really jazz you up or instil a sense of calm, both sometimes.  I get a feeling of high energy, but smooth and controlled attention.  I'm personally not entirely sure that the chi-force and energy body are scientific fact, but the cause and effect of the exercises certainly is there for me subjectively.

As a side note one of the guys once hit me with an "elemental strike" and the difference was hard to credit.  He struck with a cupped "C" shaped hand to my collar bone in a lazy and slow motion, but when it made impact it felt like I had been kicked by a goddamn mule!  When I get a bit more time I'll give a description of a Russian martial art called "Systema." It seems more scientific, but is definitely a weird science and fighting philosophy.

You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I've always rocked the good posture and I think that it has a beneficial effect not only on my overall health and musculature, but on how people treat me. It's all about being short and always trying to look as tall as possible, I think. :lol:

When my belly heals I'm planning on starting in trail running and swimming again. Swimming, in particular, really gives me an all-over sense of strength and well-being.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Kai

I'm marking this whole thread as psychosomatics for later search capacity.

LMNO: I've got a similar situation with guitar playing. I have a tendency to tense up my arms and shoulders while concentrating, hunching up a bit. Which makes me slow down and play worse, not better. The best playing I've ever done is when I've been comfortable and completely relaxed.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Mangrove

Mang' Institute of Soft Tissue Dysfunction says (that is, paraphrasing someone else)

"If you're trying to have good posture, you don't have it."

Here's some useful book recommendations:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Owners-Guide-Body-Perfectly/dp/0722537379/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1347490143&sr=8-2&keywords=roger+golten

or

http://www.amazon.com/Bodywise-Introduction-Hellerwork-Flexibility-Well-Being/dp/155643524X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1347490267&sr=1-1&keywords=bodywise

I developed horrible posture years ago from walking around with my head down, hands in my pockets with rounded shoulders. The hours I spent on the guitar didn't help either. Still, I didn't start getting any troubles until I started to work in an office, then I discovered what an ergonomic nightmare many workplaces are.

I went to a Hellerworker (a derivation of Rolfing) for some very intense deep tissue work on my back, neck & shoulders. It hurt. A lot. Sometimes, it felt like someone was pulling hot wire though my neck. However, afterwards, I found that I didn't need to 'try and be upright', I just was and that had a correspondingly powerful affect on my attitude and mental well-being.

If your posture sucks, get educated about it (see above resources), find someone to work on it if possible and take up some movement activity that is balanced and doesn't encourage postural or movement bias. Tai-chi, yoga, some martial arts will do this.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.