News:

Your political affiliations, your brand loyalties, and your opinions are all quicker, easier, and contain no user-serviceable parts.

Main Menu

better off than 4 years ago

Started by tyrannosaurus vex, September 07, 2012, 09:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lenin McCarthy

4 years ago, I had no good friends. Now I have a few.
4 years ago, I had no self-confidence whatsoever, and did things I didn't enjoy to fit in with people I didn't like. Now I try to do as many things I enjoy as possible, only moderated by my need to earn money and get through school.
4 years ago, I was completely unable to communicate with most of the female half of the population, and was completely terrified just at the thought of having to talk to strangers. Now I'm considerably more comfortable about that, and I try to have treating people as people as a starting point.
4 years ago, I was quite stupid. I like to believe that I'm less so today.
4 years ago, I got bullied, and soon realized that pacifism doesn't work in the schoolyard. (Hmm. I think Jesus got homeschooled.)

And I could go on forever. My life isn't really that fabulous at the moment, but I was in middle school then (8-10th grade in Norway, ages 14-16), and middle school was hell.
I'm in the same chaotic, but safe divorced Norwegian middle class family situation, with new step-parents and step-siblings being introduced to my life at regular intervals, but now I'm 18; not 14, and from next June, my calendar is empty into infinity. I have a feeling that doing this again in 4 years will be interesting.

Cain

Four years ago, Ban-Ki Moon was not spamming my email address demanding my bank details.

AFK

On balance I can't complain too much.  I have an awesome job that has brought some pretty sweet opportunities and has allowed me to help out more people in my community and state.  Also my son was born within the last 4 years and I can't imaginr life without the little guy.

Though, we also lost a pregnancy before him, and that was a pretty shitty time.  I often wonder what kind of kid he/she would have turned out to be.

But I agree with the spirit of vex's thread.  Yeah, there is tons of shit that happens in this world, but we need to be able to celebrate the victories as well, no matter how small they may seem to be in any goven time.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on September 07, 2012, 10:20:49 PM
Hematoma?? How soon can you get in???

Good and bad here.

Overall, I'm doing a LOT better but some things are still fucked up. Four years ago was the tail end of a major hell cycle. Some awesome things have happened since then and I know some awesome people (long distance, every last one of 'em, but it means a lot) and I'm not punching a cash register anymore, but I wouldn't wish Seguin on anybody. Or if I did, somebody'd call "Godwin's Law".

I finally got a call back from the nurse and after answering 101 Disgusting Questions, her conclusion was that I don't need to go in because A. it's only leaking a little, B. it's not pushing the stitches open, and C. I don't have any symptoms of infection.

Of course, the problem is that it's Friday night and any of the above could be appended with "yet". But I got the after hours number just in case things go south from here.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on September 08, 2012, 12:33:21 AM

Good and bad here.

Overall, I'm doing a LOT better but some things are still fucked up. Four years ago was the tail end of a major hell cycle. Some awesome things have happened since then and I know some awesome people (long distance, every last one of 'em, but it means a lot) and I'm not punching a cash register anymore, but I wouldn't wish Seguin on anybody. Or if I did, somebody'd call "Godwin's Law".

I finally got a call back from the nurse and after answering 101 Disgusting Questions, her conclusion was that I don't need to go in because A. it's only leaking a little, B. it's not pushing the stitches open, and C. I don't have any symptoms of infection.

Of course, the problem is that it's Friday night and any of the above could be appended with "yet". But I got the after hours number just in case things go south from here.

I always hated getting nurses on the phone:
"My kid is sick and he has a fever. 101 degrees."
"Give him baby tylenol and ginger ale and call us back if it gets up to 104."  :x :x :x

They need to LOOK at it, anyway. Fuckers.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on September 08, 2012, 12:50:56 AM
Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on September 08, 2012, 12:33:21 AM

Good and bad here.

I always hated getting nurses on the phone:
"My kid is sick and he has a fever. 101 degrees."
"Give him baby tylenol and ginger ale and call us back if it gets up to 104."  :x :x :x

They need to LOOK at it, anyway. Fuckers.

Surgical nurses tend to be a little different. At least I have access to the after-hours hotline if I need it. I'll just have to find someone to drive me there. I'm currently minimizing the situation with the local friends I told about it; last thing I need is people worrying about it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

President Television

Four years ago, I was at the tail end of four years of sexual assault by my stepfather.
Four years ago, I was still living in the same apartment as him, and had to put up with his obnoxious mannerisms on a daily basis.
Four years ago, I was in high school. The sheer number of students made the experience hellish; I may have mentioned it before, but I think I have social anxiety.
Four years ago, I was friendless.
Four years ago, I was a humorless atheist.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Chaser

Four years ago (maybe five), I was in a "CREW" doing the Melbourne shuffle.

Now LMFAO and SoCal stole my act.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Uncle Wallified on September 08, 2012, 04:41:50 AM
Four years ago, I was at the tail end of four years of sexual assault by my stepfather.
Four years ago, I was still living in the same apartment as him, and had to put up with his obnoxious mannerisms on a daily basis.
Four years ago, I was in high school. The sheer number of students made the experience hellish; I may have mentioned it before, but I think I have social anxiety.
Four years ago, I was friendless.
Four years ago, I was a humorless atheist.

Wally, it is my opinion as your spiritual advisor that you should probably take 3 years off to go bugfuck.  I took 10 years off for that reason, and it made me the man I am today.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.