News:

There's only a handful of you, and you're acting like obsessed lunatics.

I honestly wouldn't want to ever be washed up on the shore unconscious on an island run by you lot.

Main Menu

better off than 4 years ago

Started by tyrannosaurus vex, September 07, 2012, 09:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrannosaurus vex

NOTE: THE "4 YEARS" THING IS NOT POLITICAL. It's just a meme going around somewhere and it seems as reasonable a snapshot period as any other.

Many things and many people in life suck, and I don't need to issue a laundry list on that topic to name them.

Some things however do not suck. I won't list a general, "applies to everyone" laundry list here either, because I don't know everyone and I don't know what applies and what doesn't, or what sucks and what doesn't for most people, for that matter.

But if the plights of millions of disenfranchised people are worth discussing (and they are!) then that discussion ought to be balanced out. So, here are a few things from my life, that do not suck.

1. My family - more stable, and happier now than it was 4 years ago.

2. My Job - I have gone from a job dealing with whiny rednecks and their broken computers all day, to a job where if I am having a bad day I can walk outside to blow off frustration and take in some scenery, and depending on the week, I will either see this:

Puget Sound waving hello and smelling remarkably nice

or this:

Not sure what this is, I think it's a leftover prop from the Friends series

3. My health - not as good as it should be (I'm one of those Horrible Smokers they tell you about in class) but I have insurance that I didn't have 4 years ago.

4. My Religious Extremist parents live in Wisconsin, where they can't harass my kids for their (lack of) religion or the critical thinking my wife and I have instilled in them.

5. PDCOM.....? Well, you can't win them all. TAKE THAT SPAGS.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Good to hear.

I am at this moment having a bit of a rough time, but the last 4 years have been pretty damn good to me (I consider myself to be absurdly lucky in this, given 2008).

And now a bunch of my friends are being sucked back into Tucson.  I believe this has happened so that I don't have to endure the afterlife alone.

So, yeah, things are good.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Luna

Fuck.

Four years ago, I was blissfully unaware that my cocksucking husband was running around behind my back.

I had a house.

I had a job.

I had a dog.

I was pretty sure I knew where my life was headed.

I was wrong.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Luna on September 07, 2012, 09:43:41 PM
Fuck.

Four years ago, I was blissfully unaware that my cocksucking husband was running around behind my back.

I had a house.

I had a job.

I had a dog.

I was wrong.

:sad:

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Luna

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 07, 2012, 09:45:49 PM
Quote from: Luna on September 07, 2012, 09:43:41 PM
Fuck.

I had a house.

I had a job.

I had a dog.

I was wrong.

:sad:

Fuck, I'm in a pissy mood.

Okay.  Snap out of it.

Four years ago, I don't think I'd even been introduced in passing to Richter, or to Suu.

Four years ago, the guy I'm not seeing was a bittersweet memory.  (No TARDIS involved, we dated, briefly, years ago, but it was just bad timing, and didnt' work out.)

I'd never heard of this place...  File that under whichever column you like.

I've lost a good twenty pounds since, then, and am in better shape...

I've done a lot of tearing down who I was when I was with the douchebag, and trying to figure out what's under there.  Slow project, but, I've got time.

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Four years ago I was married, earning 100k/year and had health insurance.

Now: betrayed, divorced, perpetually behind on my mortgage and can't afford to see a dentist. Got charity care at OHSU to have a hysterectomy, as of today  there seems to be something wrong with my incision and I'm waiting for a call to find out whether I have to go back in.

My grants were cut so financial aid isn't picking up the slack like it was meant to.

In short; goodie for you. You "balanced things out".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Fuck this thread. What is this shit, a "count your blessings" thread? Or a "things aren't so bad!" thread? Or a "well, at least I'm better off than YOU" thread?

It just seems like it's here for bragging rights.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Luna

Well, so much for trying to pull my mood back out of the shitter.

Thanks, Nigel.

Fuck it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on September 07, 2012, 10:08:28 PM
Fuck this thread. What is this shit, a "count your blessings" thread? Or a "things aren't so bad!" thread? Or a "well, at least I'm better off than YOU" thread?

On the other hand, Nigel, you are going back to school to do what you really want to do, which wasn't happening in 2008.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on September 07, 2012, 10:08:28 PM

It's not intended to be that. It is intended to be a "things aren't always shitty" statement, and I intentionally was talking only about myself because I don't want to talk for anyone else. There are plenty of things I could complain about, but I don't want to complain today. Sometimes life doesn't shit on me, and I suspect sometimes it doesn't shit on you, too.

If all life ever does is shit on people, then why go on living at all?
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 07, 2012, 10:11:13 PM

On the other hand, Nigel, you are going back to school to do what you really want to do, which wasn't happening in 2008.

I was headed back to school when my ex and I split up and my school plans got derailed. I lost a term's tuition.

BUT WHATEVER, SORRY, HERE'S A NICE PAINTING SO WE CAN ALL SMILE AND FORGET THAT THE WORLD IS IN A SHITTY PLACE:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on September 07, 2012, 10:15:10 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 07, 2012, 10:11:13 PM

I was headed back to school when my ex and I split up and my school plans got derailed. I lost a term's tuition.

BUT WHATEVER, SORRY, HERE'S A NICE PAINTING SO WE CAN ALL SMILE AND FORGET THAT THE WORLD IS IN A SHITTY PLACE:

Okay.  Sorry to hear that.

TGRR,
Hasn't got enough ass left to be the whipping boy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Sorry, the OP just rubbed me wrong. It was a little too "Hey, you downer mcdownytons! Here are the reasons my life is great!"

Since I'm kind of struggling along to keep my chin up and my sense of humor running as I develop some hematoma, it was kind of the last straw.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Hematoma?? How soon can you get in???

Good and bad here.

Overall, I'm doing a LOT better but some things are still fucked up. Four years ago was the tail end of a major hell cycle. Some awesome things have happened since then and I know some awesome people (long distance, every last one of 'em, but it means a lot) and I'm not punching a cash register anymore, but I wouldn't wish Seguin on anybody. Or if I did, somebody'd call "Godwin's Law".
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on September 07, 2012, 10:19:13 PM
Sorry, the OP just rubbed me wrong. It was a little too "Hey, you downer mcdownytons! Here are the reasons my life is great!"

Since I'm kind of struggling along to keep my chin up and my sense of humor running as I develop some hematoma, it was kind of the last straw.

1.  S'okay.  I'm overreacting a little myself, today.

2.  WHAT?