News:

PD.com: Like a fraternity of drunken clowns, hopped up on goofballs, beating one-another to a bloody pulp with bricks; the maniacal laughter increases exponentially as someone runs off to get a cinder-block.

Main Menu

The Kerry Thornley/Situationists connection!

Started by GavrielDiscordiaEPIS:327, September 08, 2012, 11:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GavrielDiscordiaEPIS:327

So this is my pet theory on OMAR/KERRY...

if anyone has any further information about the figure from the Situationists please let us know here in this thread!

THX!

Cain

As far as I know, there were no direct links between the Situationists and Kerry Thornley.  Guy Debord saw himself as a latter day Andre Breton, especially in his love of ideological purges and exclusions.  Given the areas where Discordianism and Situationism differ (namely, the Marxist background versus the anarchist/libertarian background) I am sure if he were aware of Discordianism, he would have poked fun at it and mocked it.

That said, of course the Situationists and Thornley moved in many similar ideological circles.  Both rejected the choice between the buearucratic-dictatorships of the Communist East and the dreary conformist suburbanism of the Capitalist West.  Both had a degree of involvement in alternative youth movements with similar outlooks, such as the hippies and their French equivalents.  And of course, both did stress the importance of disorder and chaos against the ordered life - if from somewhat different starting points.

I myself have spread more than a few conspiracy theories and fake quotes which suggest the Discordians are a modern day offshot of the Situationists, so, as far as I know, the only evidence of direct connections are the ones I invented.  I would definitely say both groups are of a type though, which would include the Yippies, the UK Underground, student movements in Germany and similar, which accounts for why there is so much crossover in ideas.

I have to go with 'the Theory' until i see some evidence declaring otherwise. Its too much of a coincidence that the names are so similar, and strange.

Also Kerry's background in writing for underground magazines, 'broadsheets', etc is way to close and similar to be ignored.

Until I know more about this 'Omar Khayati' or some other Situationist can clear this matter up I dont plan to give this notion up.

Bu🤠ns

The law of fives was developed to provide an out for this exact situation! :fnord:

Bu🤠ns

Although, I am, of course scratching my goat about this now. THANKS

Placid Dingo

Well Omar Khyyam is not a made up name. It's from this guy;

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Khayyám

Kerry and Greg had a mutual interest in him.

Also Khyaati seems to be a common enough name.

And Kerry was not Tunisian. There's no record that I'm aware of of him speaking French. Also I think that there's enough known of the timelines of both Omars to put them in different places at the same time. Khyaati seems to have spent some time in France/Palistine.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Ghiyāth ad-Din Abu'l-Fat'h 'Umar ibn Ibrāhīm al-Khayyām Nīshāpūrī 1048–1131

is what is on the WIKI page i found following your link. Definately the inspiration for Kerry, but definitely not alive at the same time as Kerry.

either im seeing the wrong page or im misunderstanding your response DINGO...

I searched for this Mustapha/Omar Khayati figure before and could not find anything about him anywhere.

Placid Dingo

Quote from: GavrielDiscordiaEPIS on September 10, 2012, 12:03:49 PM
Ghiyāth ad-Din Abu'l-Fat'h 'Umar ibn Ibrāhīm al-Khayyām Nīshāpūrī 1048–1131

is what is on the WIKI page i found following your link. Definately the inspiration for Kerry, but definitely not alive at the same time as Kerry.

either im seeing the wrong page or im misunderstanding your response DINGO...

I searched for this Mustapha/Omar Khayati figure before and could not find anything about him anywhere.

Just pointing out, shared names aren't so surprising because the names in question have been around a while.

I haven't looked into it but I suggest that book Cain mentioned 'Guy Debard and The Situationist Internationale'.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I've read most of Kerry's stuff that can still be found, but I haven't seen any evidence that he spoke French (though Sondra London might have a more definitive answer). Though the Situ's and Discordianism both hit the world near the same time, I agree with Cain... I think its probably highly unlikely that Kerry was Omar Khayati. Kerry was into Marxism for awhile, but by the 60's he was far more influenced by anarchism and libertarianism, as Cain stated.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

hooplala

Quote from: GavrielDiscordiaEPIS on September 09, 2012, 03:10:14 AM
I have to go with 'the Theory' until i see some evidence declaring otherwise.

Generally not a good way to begin serious research.  Just saying.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cain

So, five minutes on Google has a picture of Omar, aka Mustapha Khayati, a man of Tunisian descent and clearly not Kerry Thornley.

Unless you're going to argue Kerry Thornley authored a PhD in Political Science at the University of Paris in 1979?

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Cain on November 23, 2012, 05:19:10 PM
So, five minutes on Google has a picture of Omar, aka Mustapha Khayati, a man of Tunisian descent and clearly not Kerry Thornley.

Unless you're going to argue Kerry Thornley authored a PhD in Political Science at the University of Paris in 1979?

Well, Kerry actually invented the technology you see for masks in all of the Mission Impossible shows!
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson