News:

Endorsement:  I am not convinced you even understand my concepts of moral relativity, so perhaps it would be best for you not to approach them.

Main Menu

Today I've Learned...

Started by AFK, September 10, 2012, 11:27:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

That some "Discordians" can't tolerate dissenting points of view.

Discuss.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Some points of view shouldn't be tolerated.

Repulsive opinions ought to be mercilessly mocked, raged at, and viciously satirized.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

AFK

I think I heard a Christian say that very thing once when talking about gay rights.

I think I heard a murder-rapist say their opinions should be tolerated.

Reginald Ret

Lets make a distinction between:
Quote from: Net on September 10, 2012, 12:07:49 PM
Repulsive opinions ought to be mercilessly mocked, raged at, and viciously satirized.
And 'ought to be violently opposed.' Which is what i think RWHN means when he says 'can't tolerate.'
All forms of nonviolent opposition to points of view are good, save the actual violence for acts.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

AFK

Yes.  It is incredibly disheartening to see Discordians get SO bent out of shape in discussions, I'm not just talking about this one, I include the drug threads, the libertarian threads, the piracy threads...

We can't ever agree to disagree after a good, and yes, passioned discussion.  We need to blow the minority opinion out of the water and make sure it is never heard again.  That's why we have "verboten topics", because minority opinions are simply not tolerated by some. 

I think that is a damn shame and is something we are supposed to be against, not embracing with open arms. 

The Good Reverend Roger

Yay!  We're Calvinists!
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

So what we now have are purists alienating people who are/could be allies, because the ally in question does not accept (or perhaps does not understand) the ENTIRE concept in all of its details.  So rather than try to explain the concept, or accept that the person is an ally without that one concept in place, the person must be driven out of the fold, for the encouragement of the others.

Well done.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Richter

Quote from: Net on September 10, 2012, 12:15:00 PM
I think I heard a murder-rapist say their opinions should be tolerated.

An opinion and an action are two different things. 
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

The Good Reverend Roger

Yeah.  "I keep my wife in line" would be one of those.

In THIS case, however, you are mercilessly mocking, raging, and viciously satirizing people who disagree on one fine point of a larger argument.

It's become a fucking religion.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 10, 2012, 02:48:16 PM

Yay!  We're Calvinists!

Yay! We're removing sentences from their context so they mean something else!

Luna

Quote from: Net on September 10, 2012, 03:23:42 PM

Yay!  We're Calvinists!

Not at all.  The point was made that a point of view that is repulsive to one may be what someone else needs to live a decent life.

Someone may hold a particular point of view that you, personally find repulsive...  However, to that person, YOUR point of view may be equally repulsive.

Who gets to decide what opinions should be "tolerated?"
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Quote from: Luna on September 10, 2012, 03:30:49 PM

Yay!  We're Calvinists!

Not at all.  The point was made that a point of view that is repulsive to one may be what someone else needs to live a decent life.

Someone may hold a particular point of view that you, personally find repulsive...  However, to that person, YOUR point of view may be equally repulsive.

Uh, yeah, ignoring my other sentence distorts its meaning.

I qualified that sentence with examples of not tolerating opinions via counter-speech, not censorship or force.

So the logical conclusion to your question of "Who gets to decide what opinions should be tolerated?" would be each person for themselves.

Suu

Quote from: Luna on September 10, 2012, 03:30:49 PM

Yay!  We're Calvinists!

Toleration and dislike are two very different things.

I have to live in a country with Republicans. I have to TOLERATE their opinion because it surrounds me, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Verbal Mike

Umm, on the off chance that this thread is about me telling RWHN to fuck off and die:
That was my response to his dancing around the main point and poking everything a couple of us wrote, repeatedly, without actually stating his point, which he has since done and which I have responded to calmly. For a while there it was just "the way you're stating your argument doesn't make sense, because I disagree with how you use the word 'enjoy' or 'privilege'".

So whether or not this thread is actually about my fuck off and die comment, I actually have no idea what RWHN is talking about. People do, and are allowed to, get frustrated in a discussion and have emotional outbursts. People can also continue arguing a point when they sense someone is not understanding it. Note that a few people have ducked out of the discussion and mostly been left alone (except by people who were personally hurt, which is another story). But RWHN insisted on continuing to go back and forth without actually getting to the point, and the response to that (by me and perhaps others) is somehow intolerance?

Whatever. It's become apparent that RWHN has his own definition for all kinds of words, so literally lacking a common language, I will not take exchanges with him too seriously.
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.