News:

That line from the father's song in Mary Poppins, where he's going on about how nothing can go wrong, in Britain in 1910.  That's about the point I realized the boy was gonna die in a trench.

Main Menu

Eulogy

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, September 12, 2012, 02:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Well, just don't lose sight of Wilson.

LMNO
-the Abu Ghraib of metaphors.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 12, 2012, 10:18:52 PM
Well, just don't lose sight of Wilson.

LMNO
-the Abu Ghraib of metaphors.

:lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Fidel Castro on September 12, 2012, 02:50:21 PM
In fact, the only people who have the chops to talk about privilege here are Cain, who has the education to see what the world is like (if not the direct experience), ECH - who can't SEE it – but who has a gift for slicing through bullshit, and Nigel, who fits in every single category of the bottom shelf...Single mother, female,  Black/Hispanic/Native American, poor (any reasonable American standard).

You didn't like being told your voice doesn't matter on an issue, and now you see fit to dictate that to the entire forum. Fascinating.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Net on September 13, 2012, 12:12:35 AM
In fact, the only people who have the chops to talk about privilege here are Cain, who has the education to see what the world is like (if not the direct experience), ECH - who can't SEE it – but who has a gift for slicing through bullshit, and Nigel, who fits in every single category of the bottom shelf...Single mother, female,  Black/Hispanic/Native American, poor (any reasonable American standard).

You didn't like being told your voice doesn't matter on an issue, and now you see fit to dictate that to the entire forum. Fascinating.

Nope.  Stating my opinion as it stands.  If there's an argument to be advanced, I'm all ears.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Quote from: Fidel Castro on September 13, 2012, 12:13:41 AM

Nope.  Stating my opinion as it stands.  If there's an argument to be advanced, I'm all ears.

Okay, it's your opinion that only a select few "have the chops" to legitimately talk about privilege. But you're all ears to being persuaded otherwise?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Net on September 13, 2012, 12:28:43 AM

Okay, it's your opinion that only a select few "have the chops" to legitimately talk about privilege. But you're all ears to being persuaded otherwise?

Sure.  Opinions can change...Although I will state that mine aren't as malleable as they were last week.

Now, is there an argument to be advanced, or not?  Because I have to say, that if MY voice doesn't count on the subject, then YOURS doesn't, either. 

A bit of a trap you've built for yourself, there.  You can't accept my argument, but the lack of accepting my argument means you can't yourself frame an argument without contradicting yourself.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Fidel Castro on September 13, 2012, 02:17:19 AM

Sure.  Opinions can change...Although I will state that mine aren't as malleable as they were last week.

Now, is there an argument to be advanced, or not?  Because I have to say, that if MY voice doesn't count on the subject, then YOURS doesn't, either. 

A bit of a trap you've built for yourself, there.  You can't accept my argument, but the lack of accepting my argument means you can't yourself frame an argument without contradicting yourself.

:pwned:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

I reject both arguments that state you cannot have an informed, valid opinion on a subject without personally being subjected to the issue being discussed.

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on September 13, 2012, 02:45:22 AM

:pwned:

:retard:

The Good Reverend Roger

Net, I'd also like to make it clear:  I was not arguing against feminist or egilatarian ideas.  I was arguing against the concept of "privilege" negating the voice of anyone.  This is Discordia.  You can speak all you like.  So can I.  We are free to not accept each other's arguments, but NOBODY has the right to say that someone else isn't entitled to an opinion, no matter how much you or I or anyone else thinks it might be wrong-headed.  Speaking from privilege might invalidate an argument, but it does not deny anyone their voice.

And if it took turning the argument around to make my point, then that's what it took.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Net on September 13, 2012, 02:50:44 AM

I reject both arguments that state you cannot have an informed, valid opinion on a subject without personally being subjected to the issue being discussed.

Well, then...We're in agreement, aren't we?

Quote from: Fidel Castro on September 13, 2012, 02:55:17 AM
Net, I'd also like to make it clear:  I was not arguing against feminist or egilatarian ideas.  I was arguing against the concept of "privilege" negating the voice of anyone.  This is Discordia.  You can speak all you like.  So can I.  We are free to not accept each other's arguments, but NOBODY has the right to say that someone else isn't entitled to an opinion, no matter how much you or I or anyone else thinks it might be wrong-headed.  Speaking from privilege might invalidate an argument, but it does not deny anyone their voice.

And if it took turning the argument around to make my point, then that's what it took.

Point taken.

Quote from: Fidel Castro on September 13, 2012, 02:56:01 AM
Quote from: Net on September 13, 2012, 02:50:44 AM

Well, then...We're in agreement, aren't we?

Yes.