News:

Testamonial:  And i have actually gone to a bar and had a bouncer try to start a fight with me on the way in. I broke his teeth out of his fucking mouth and put his face through a passenger side window of a car.

Guess thats what the Internet was build for, pussy motherfuckers taking shit in safety...

Main Menu

UNLIMITED holist appreciation thread

Started by Dildo Argentino, September 18, 2012, 09:42:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

So based on these results, what are your thoughts?

Ultimately it doesn't matter. What matters is if people in general like my music. You and I can play with computers all we like, but what it comes down to is if the punters come out to the pub. I'm just curious at this point.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: ho|ist on December 18, 2012, 06:54:43 AM

Ultimately it doesn't matter. What matters is if people in general like my music. You and I can play with computers all we like, but what it comes down to is if the punters come out to the pub. I'm just curious at this point.

I agree with you completely. I would have been very surprised to find you scored samey or better on pitch differentiation, because the compelling conclusion I was drawing from our rather frustrating "is it in tune or not" debate was that you probably don't hear pitch as accurately as I do. This way, I am not surprised. But I don't think this makes you less of a musician. On the other hand, I do know that pitch differentiation can be improved with practice - you could do this, if you felt the need. I also suspect you listen to stuff rather too loud rather too much of the time... I mean too loud in the sense of doing minor damage to your hearing apparatus. But that's a personal choice and I have no problem with it.

As for rhythm: a very recent recording experience (jingle) demonstrated very clearly that I can't play anything tight. The whole thing (6 tracks) sounds OK, but listening to individual tracks with the click on is depressing. It's not a technique thing, either. My wiring is all over the place, can't keep time properly even with a simple bang-bang-bang-bang... which is let's say suboptimal for a bassist... so I'm practising.
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: holist on December 18, 2012, 07:12:05 AM

I agree with you completely. I would have been very surprised to find you scored samey or better on pitch differentiation, because the compelling conclusion I was drawing from our rather frustrating "is it in tune or not" debate was that you probably don't hear pitch as accurately as I do. This way, I am not surprised. But I don't think this makes you less of a musician. On the other hand, I do know that pitch differentiation can be improved with practice - you could do this, if you felt the need. I also suspect you listen to stuff rather too loud rather too much of the time... I mean too loud in the sense of doing minor damage to your hearing apparatus. But that's a personal choice and I have no problem with it.

As for rhythm: a very recent recording experience (jingle) demonstrated very clearly that I can't play anything tight. The whole thing (6 tracks) sounds OK, but listening to individual tracks with the click on is depressing. It's not a technique thing, either. My wiring is all over the place, can't keep time properly even with a simple bang-bang-bang-bang... which is let's say suboptimal for a bassist... so I'm practising.

Heh. Thanks for the backhanded compliment.

But that's the whole thing though, you're apparently a pitch machine. I'm still above most other people in that regard. Maybe I am listening to things too loudly and I have hearing damage.

But uh... I guess everyone else does too. You're the only person who said anything about Anne Marie's pitch. And I know her hearing isn't damaged, since she makes it a point to put in earplugs.

Me, I'm a grungy dude and don't clear out my earwax. Natural decibel reduction for hippies.

Nephew Twiddleton

But, as for our in tune or not debate... You can't tune larynges, but you can tune guitars. And you did say that I should learn how to tune my guitar. All the string players tuned after every take with a pedal. So, pedal's wrong I guess?

Don Coyote

Quote from: ho|ist on December 18, 2012, 07:30:01 AM

But that's the whole thing though, you're apparently a pitch machine. I'm still above most other people in that regard. Maybe I am listening to things too loudly and I have hearing damage.

But uh... I guess everyone else does too. You're the only person who said anything about Anne Marie's pitch. And I know her hearing isn't damaged, since she makes it a point to put in earplugs.

Me, I'm a grungy dude and don't clear out my earwax. Natural decibel reduction for hippies.

i dunno dude, but I think there might be more to rad music than having perfect pitch, like not sounding like ass.
Which like your band does not sound like.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: H0list on December 18, 2012, 07:34:49 AM
Quote from: ho|ist on December 18, 2012, 07:30:01 AM

i dunno dude, but I think there might be more to rad music than having perfect pitch, like not sounding like ass.
Which like your band does not sound like.

Punters and pubs, like I said.

I get annoyed with people who play the same 3 chords but yet have record deals. What am I going to do about it? Well, play something that the people like that simultaneously won't bore me. Perfect pitch is great for people who fuss over that. I don't. Because we hear the mistakes we make live, but no one else does. So, was it a bad show? The audience thought we were the tits. So what does it matter that I hit an F# for a quarter of a second? Only the 5 of us heard it.

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: ho|ist on December 18, 2012, 07:32:14 AM
But, as for our in tune or not debate... You can't tune larynges, but you can tune guitars. And you did say that I should learn how to tune my guitar. All the string players tuned after every take with a pedal. So, pedal's wrong I guess?

The thing is, perhaps you meant this as a sarky comment, but I'm going to go with sincere: the pedal could well be wrong:

http://www.setitupbetter.com/Tuners-and-Tuning.php

Also, the intonation on some of the guitars could be out. A guitar or bass that is played on a daily basis really needs to be set up about once a year, with brand new strings, in order to be in tune enough (sound in tune to say about 90% of listeners).

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: holist on December 18, 2012, 08:33:02 AM
Quote from: ho|ist on December 18, 2012, 07:32:14 AM

The thing is, perhaps you meant this as a sarky comment, but I'm going to go with sincere: the pedal could well be wrong:

http://www.setitupbetter.com/Tuners-and-Tuning.php

Also, the intonation on some of the guitars could be out. A guitar or bass that is played on a daily basis really needs to be set up about once a year, with brand new strings, in order to be in tune enough (sound in tune to say about 90% of listeners).

Now THAT, I am willing to give you. New England is known for its unpredictable weather. Load in, load out, load in again, load out again, in the rain, the snow, the brutal humidity of summer. The open strings may be in tune, but at the same time, there may be some neck warping going on, and I can't remember if we had all of them set up before recording. Doesn't make a lot of difference below the 5th fret, but might be noticeable to some higher up.

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: ho|ist on December 18, 2012, 08:36:57 AM
Now THAT, I am willing to give you. New England is known for its unpredictable weather. Load in, load out, load in again, load out again, in the rain, the snow, the brutal humidity of summer. The open strings may be in tune, but at the same time, there may be some neck warping going on, and I can't remember if we had all of them set up before recording. Doesn't make a lot of difference below the 5th fret, but might be noticeable to some higher up.

Well thank you. I hope that's settled then: My music is not your cup of tea, your music is not my cup of tea, I hear pitch somewhat more accurately than you but I don't in any way hold that against you, setting guitars up before going to the studio might be a good idea...

A final thing that occured to me: if, indeed, some of the guitars have wondered away from being set up well, their inherent inaccuracy may have actually made it much more difficult for the singer to be in tune, or may be making the singer sound more out of tune than she really is.

But largely, it's pubs and punters.

Tomorrow night is our first gig with the new band, so wish me luck, Twid.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: holist on December 18, 2012, 08:45:53 AM
Quote from: ho|ist on December 18, 2012, 08:36:57 AM

Well thank you. I hope that's settled then: My music is not your cup of tea, your music is not my cup of tea, I hear pitch somewhat more accurately than you but I don't in any way hold that against you, setting guitars up before going to the studio might be a good idea...

A final thing that occured to me: if, indeed, some of the guitars have wondered away from being set up well, their inherent inaccuracy may have actually made it much more difficult for the singer to be in tune, or may be making the singer sound more out of tune than she really is.

But largely, it's pubs and punters.

Tomorrow night is our first gig with the new band, so wish me luck, Twid.

Break a leg, man.

Dildo Argentino

Don Coyote

according ti that test I hear pitxh better than both of you

Nephew Twiddleton

And you hear no pitch problems with the album? Well then...

Don Coyote

Quote from: ho|ist on December 18, 2012, 09:33:38 AM

I'm also not a musician.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: H0list on December 18, 2012, 08:17:33 PM
Quote from: ho|ist on December 18, 2012, 09:33:38 AM

I'm also not a musician.

Which is even better.

Though, holist is right that regular set ups are good policy. Maybe I should set up a set up holiday or something. Actually, I really should figure out how to do that shit myself, because then it's free.