News:

PD.com: "a rather irritating form of hermetic terrorism".

Main Menu

In which VERBL needs input on his first-world problems

Started by Verbal Mike, September 24, 2012, 07:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Verbal Mike

So as I've mentioned here and there, I'm moving to Israel (where I grew up) for about half a year sometime soon. I figured since there's a few wise and experienced people here, I might get some useful input on a dilemma I have.

The background situation is this:
-I've basically just finished my undergraduate studies here in Germany (getting my degree some time soon)
-I've been DOING SCIENCE for a few months no, writing an article I was supposed to finish months ago, and which I was paid for through July – but the end of the work (which I really want to finish and see published) is finally very close
-It's getting cold here, and I don't want to be here in the cold months
-I'm fairly confident I can get paid working for some NGO or something like that, and if that fails I can almost certainly find lucrative work in high-tech or translation
-Once she finishes her MA thesis, my girlfriend will be joining me in Israel for some of December and most of January,
-Me and the g/f have the apartment we share here until the end of November, and I've agreed to pay my half of the rent (200€/month) until the end, no matter when I actually leave
-I'm basically broke, even though I have some savings here (which I get some government bonus on if I don't break them open until 2014) – but I can borrow money at around 10% p.a. as authorized overdraft, which I expect I can pay off pretty soon (if I can't make enough to do so in Israel, I'll move back here anyway)
-Getting unemployment benefits here is basically a non-option at this point because I'll be gone before they kick in

Right now, I'm finally getting anxious to leave, and starting to look forward to it. But it turns out that as of October 1, when I am no longer a student, I have to sign up for the same socialized healthcare I get now, except it's called "voluntary health insurance" (hint: it's not), costs more, and I have to keep it until the end of 2012 even if I leave the continent – unless I quickly get a job that comes with normal socialized healthcare ("legislated health insurance") – which is any job paying 401€/month or more. I basically have three options now:

1: GET NO JOB, BUT GET "VOLUNTARY" INSURANCE
I can sign up for the "voluntary" insurance starting October 1, which will cost me about 150€/month for as long as I'm here, and which I can't cancel before the end of 2012. The insurance company will only charge me 50€/month for the period of time when I'm out of the country.

Upsides:
Can focus on finishing my research, selling all my shit, packing, and spending time with my friends;
Can most probably be outta here before the end of October;
I'm covered in case something happens.

Downsides:
A few more weeks without an income;
Paying for German insurance while on another continent.

2: GET NO JOB AND NO INSURANCE
I can just let my normal insurance run out and not sign up for "voluntary" insurance. When I move back here, I'll have to pay for the time I was here uninsured, retroactively, but nonetheless, if I need to see a doctor while uninsured, I'll have to pay out of my nose.

Upsides:
Can focus on finishing my research, selling all my shit, packing, and spending time with my friends;
Can most probably be outta here before the end of October;
Don't have to pay for German health insurance while on another continent.

Downside:
A few more weeks without an income.
Could be really shitty and extremely expensive if I need to see a doctor.

3: GET A JOB
In this scenario, I get some mind-numbing work, starting later this week, which lets me keep normal insurance. The insurance runs out the day I leave the job, and if I de-register with the city on the same day then that's that.

Upsides:
Income! Yay!
Don't have to pay for insurance I'm not using;
Get to work in actual blue-collar work, which I've never done and am curious about.

Downsides:
Might still be here come November, since I'll have less time and energy for all the selling and packing and stuff;
Won't get to spend as much time with my friends before leaving;
Higher likelihood of getting stressed out, which tends to trigger my (mild) depression, especially when it's cold and cloudy.

I tend to think I should either get a job, or get "voluntary" insurance – being uninsured is a scary prospect, and I'm pretty confident I can pay away the overdraft even if I don't get a job.

tl;dr / what it comes down to:
Should I do the financially wise thing, get a job, pay less for healthcare, but end up spending more time here while wanting to leave, enjoying that time less or possibly being outright miserable;
OR should I take a risk, pay a bit more for healthcare while continuing to have no income, but spend a few sweet weeks of research, packing, and friends, then work off my modest debt (which will be in the vicinity of 500-1000€) in Israel surrounded by family and friends (and military, threats of war, the occupation, and lynchings)?

COUNSEL ME, O WISEPOPES OF DISCORDIA!
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Cain

Move to St. Petersburg and take up a lucrative living as a dancing bear.

Verbal Mike

Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

The Good Reverend Roger

If I were you?  I'd get the job and STAY IN GERMANY.

Something tells me Israel may be a little rocky in the next couple of months.

WAIT.  EVERYTHING'S BACKWARDS.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Verbal Mike

Yeah, I've had that in mind all along, but basically I no longer believe anything's really about to happen. As soon as my mind changes in that regard, the plan has to be reversed and it becomes about me twisting my family's arm to move here ASAP. But right now I'm under the impression that it's no less insane than usual to spend time there.

Internet Jesus

Go to Israel.

Always go for the resume enhancement (which is what I take the mention of research to be, correct me if I am wrong). It will pay off down the line, and if you're as young as the situation suggests, you've got a long line ahead of you during which the early investment will be paying off.

Plus having family around, no matter how much you love or hate them, always makes everything else seem less meaningful and important. 

Just my .02
HAHAHA DISREGARD THAT, I SUCK COCKS!

Verbal Mike

I'm 24, I love and miss my (close) family, and I want to finish the research just because I care about it. My resume is a nice side-effect, but it's impressive enough as it is.

Internet Jesus

Quote from: VERBL on September 24, 2012, 07:51:53 PM
I'm 24, I love and miss my (close) family, and I want to finish the research just because I care about it. My resume is a nice side-effect, but it's impressive enough as it is.

I'd say your answer is in the first three then.  Fuck what I said about resume enhancement.

Verbal Mike

Yeah, but I'm already certain (for the time being) that I want to go, the only question is this work and healthcare noise. :)

Internet Jesus

Quote from: VERBL on September 24, 2012, 08:06:23 PM
Yeah, but I'm already certain (for the time being) that I want to go, the only question is this work and healthcare noise. :)

Details, details.  I say do what you want - the details shouldn't be an impediment to that.

The Wizard Joseph

The best fiscal advice I can give you is #3. If your constitution is up for it there's a lot to be experienced in "blue collar" work.
If you are unused to manual labor also consider that you may be in some discomfort physically and will need to prepare daily with stretching and proper nutrition. There is also the risk of injury on the job. The risk is minimal if you keep your head about you as you adjust.

If the savings you have is some form of bond I'd say that the extra cash you will need in any event should not involve cashing it in prematurely if at all possible.

If you are willing to risk that and insurance though, it depends entirely on how much time you NEED to prepare and what activities, like visiting with friends you will see again, you may be willing to sacrifice or not. 

If you have reasonable assurance of sufficient income when you arrive home I would say that Option 1 is your best bet if you decide not to seek temporary employment. You're looking at, what, 250 euros for the month of coverage you actually need and the two unused months? You could do worse, and you'll already be in the system in case the mid-east does go bonkers and you need to get back to Germany ASAP. Also, option 3 may interfere with your sciencing and research. This is not likely good as a long term strategy and may be worth cashing in a little savings to accomplish. More savings can, most likely, always be gotten.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Speaking as an American, a month without insurance sounds like a complete non-issue. Sure, you'll have to pay that 150€ back when you return, but that seems pretty incidental.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Verbal Mike

Yeah... I'm tending towards the no-job options because I want to try to really finish my paper before I leave, and enjoy my friends as well... But the insurance thing is a tough choice, the kind behavioral economists love: should I spend a certain 100€ to avoid the possibility of paying an unknown, much-larger sum? There's probably no right answer, but I'm conditioned – by my Jewish family by always living with mandatory health insurance – to prefer the certainty of insurance. I'm pretty sure I'd be happier working off another 100€ of debt than having to deal with a healthcare dilemma and, if I end up going to a doctor, having to pay off much more... But on the other hand, it's going to probably only be three weeks, so I'm also pretty sure I'm not going to end up needing a doctor in that time.

Bah. Choices.

Verbal Mike

Speaking of which, earlier I was at a university administrator, getting some of my credits in order. I also asked if it could be a problem if I don't get the remaining ones in order before I cease to be a student. She said it wouldn't be. I noticed afterwards that perversely, I was disappointed – if I had to sign up for the new semester to get my degree, I would end up paying a few hundred euro more altogether (registration fee of 100-odd, and cheap 80€/mo student insurance fees through March,) but I would be happy to have had the choice basically taken away from me. I hate this kind of choice that much, apparently.

East Coast Hustle

I'm laughing hysterically at the thought of a place where a month without health insurance is abnormal to the point of being uncomfortable.

Sometimes this country makes me want to puke.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"