News:

What the fuck is a homonym?  It's something that sounds gay.

Main Menu

Private Libertarian cities in Honduras not so funny anymore

Started by Cain, September 28, 2012, 08:09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

You may remember this:

http://www.hondurasnews.com/honduras-approves-private-cities-project/

QuoteHonduras signed a deal for an initial investment of 15 million dollars to create the first "Private City" in the country. (Also referred to as "Free Cities", "Charter Cities", "Model Cities", or in Spanish, "RED – Regiones Especiales de Desarollo", and "Ciudades Modelo".) The city will be built in Trujillo, in the Department of Colón, where it does not have the full support of the Garifuna people, as they fear that the loss of their land may be on the agenda.

Carlos Pineda, the president of Coalinza, stated that this was not just an agreement, but the most important project for the development of the country in 50 years.

Michael Strong, an executive with the MKG Group that was granted this project, stated that the objective is to create a secure and prosperous community for Hondurans.

The development of the physical infrastructure laid out in phase one of the project will result in 5,000 new jobs, as well as 15,000 indirect new jobs.

Juan Hernández, the President of the Honduran National Congress, stated that this is a giant step forward for the country. Last July, the Honduras Congress passed Decree #123-2011, which in a nutshell, takes care of all constitutional issues related to the creation of these RED zones, or model cities, as we refer to them in Honduras.

Well...a lawyer who was preparing a motion declaring such cities as unconstitutional and claimed they were being used to raise campaign funds for politicians has just been assassinated.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20120924/honduras-lawyer-killed/

Now, as the article points out, Cabrera had more than a few enemies, including the powerful Miguel Farcusse, owner of the Dinant Corporation.  He helped workers seize 5000 hectares of land from them last year.  Cabrera has previously said if he is ever to be murdered, Facusse would be the one responsible.

However, there is also this:

QuoteTrejo had also helped prepare motions declaring unconstitutional a proposal by the Honduran government and a U.S. company, MGK Group, to build three privately run cities with their own police, laws and tax systems.

Just hours before his murder, Trejo had participated in a televised debate in which he accused congressional leaders of using the private city projects to raise campaign funds.

MGK director Michael Strong said the company is "horrified" by Trejo's killing.

"We believe that Antonio Trejo, had he lived long enough to get to know us, would have concluded that our approach is 100 percent beneficial to Honduras and Hondurans. We are saddened for his family and understand what a tragedy this is for trust and goodwill in Honduras," Strong said in a statement to The Associated Press.

It's worth noting, whoever had him killed, that whatever native companies can get away with foreign businessmen are usually much, much worse.  And if the political/slush-fund aspect is true....well, people have killed over such things before.

Nephew Twiddleton

I missed this the first time around actually.

The timing is pretty interesting.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Lenin McCarthy

The Good Reverend Roger

This is all going to end in madness and horror.

End result:  Less libertarians.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Elder Iptuous

It was my understanding that these were going to be more of a semiautonomous citystate like singapore, rather than a 'libertarian utopia'?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on September 28, 2012, 04:20:09 PM
It was my understanding that these were going to be more of a semiautonomous citystate like singapore, rather than a 'libertarian utopia'?

Doesn't matter.  There's no resource base to speak of, plus "the Amazon effect".  It's going to be a litany of horror.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Nephew Twiddleton

The Good Reverend Roger

Nephew Twiddleton

Ah. Like new england except accelerated exponentially and with risk of malaria to boot.

Elder Iptuous

i thought Singapore was built in the rainforest?
when you say no resource base, are you talking about natural resources, or infrastructure in place?

i've got no position on this because i know next to nothing about Honduras, but i am fond of the city state model, and would love to see it succeed.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on September 28, 2012, 06:16:12 PM
i thought Singapore was built in the rainforest?
when you say no resource base, are you talking about natural resources, or infrastructure in place?

i've got no position on this because i know next to nothing about Honduras, but i am fond of the city state model, and would love to see it succeed.

Yeah, it worked out so well for the Greeks, right?

Nephew Twiddleton

Didnt work well for a fledgling united states either and that was bigger than city states.

The Good Reverend Roger

It's not just that.  It's people running out into the jungle to build their utopia.  And we know what those are built on.  I'm not saying it should be stopped.  Freedom also includes the freedom to get killed in stupid ways.

Here's the problems I see:

1.  They will be at the mercy of the Honduran government, which may very well decide to nationalize the cities upon completion.  The cities will be completely helpless to prevent this.

2.  Environmental/resource issues as above.  Singapore's island chain geography and its extremely high value as a port make it feasible and worthwhile.  Nothing in Honduras mitigates these two problems.

3.  Given that they're libertarian, they won't have much use for taxation.  That means no police - or worse, pay police - meaning lawlessness.  This will get bad enough that they'll swing the other way, and go to a "temporary, emergency" police state.  It won't work.  End result:  City ruled by gangs, withers away, becomes the next Amazonia.

4.  Given that humans are social creatures, the conflict between the hard-core free market tards and the people who want some semblance of civilization will mean guaranteed factionalization, leading to ineffective means of dealing with problems as they arise.

Most importantly:

5.  The whole thing is fucking retarded.

Verbal Mike

I actually hope they build them, and it goes belly up in exactly the ways you describe, Roger. It will prove some important points, for sure.
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This is going to be spectacularly ugly and involve an incredible amount of exploitation of impoverished natives. As usual.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."