News:

If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts. But do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites, standing for absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

Main Menu

Project Eternity

Started by Cain, October 03, 2012, 07:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Also, what I said on the other page about not playing ME3 coop is no longer true.  If anyone is interested, I say we set up a PD group...for Great Justice and Tech/Biotic detonating all the things.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Cain on October 19, 2012, 05:59:05 AM
OBJECTIVE XP IS AN MMO CONCEPT!*

*(seriously, this argument is used for everything....MMOs are the devil, apparently.  Well, that and Dragon Age 2.  They're not my cup of tea, but I'm sure they've done some things well)

I hate this generation of "roleplayers" I am fairly certain the concept of objective XP predates MMOs.

Cain

Probably.  I don't know anyone who has actually said that, but I haven't been looking too hard either.

I did read the entire "stamina/HP damage debate" thread though, which was much the same.  Apparently before MMOs, no games had a concept of stamina which could be damaged before the much harder to restore pool of health.  Oh, except Darklands, one of the oldest CRPGs. 

Don Coyote

Quote from: Cain on October 19, 2012, 06:36:39 AM
Probably.  I don't know anyone who has actually said that, but I haven't been looking too hard either.

I did read the entire "stamina/HP damage debate" thread though, which was much the same.  Apparently before MMOs, no games had a concept of stamina which could be damaged before the much harder to restore pool of health.  Oh, except Darklands, one of the oldest CRPGs.

I suspect it's a bunch of post-MMO hipsteritis. "Good idea for a CRPG that was in an MMO? IT IS A TERRIBLE IDEA BECAUSE MMOs ARE TERRIBLE"

Junkenstein

Shamefully on topic, but I finally have time to give this some overdue hype.

I've been promoting the benefits of things like kickstarter and pledgemusic for a while. This is another on my list of "fucking awesome shit that would never exist with current publishers business models"

This is the first thing in a long time that I have unreasonable expectations on something and expect them to be exceeded. In fact, I'd be surprised if they weren't exceeded. That's how much trust I'm personally placing on this. I'll probably be updating this thread with stuff as they e-mail me about it, when release rolls round I'll be taking a week or two off work to fully appreciate it.

Oh and a lot of older fighting games, and some PS1 era games used a HP/stamina mechanic. Worked fairly well, extended matches much longer and were designed around combos. You can probably guess whether a game used it or not quite accurately on whether it tells you how to preform longer combos on the loading screen or not.

Knowing shit like that is why I try not to game as much anymore.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

There's now a project to create a "spiritual successor" to Planescape: Torment.

However, I am suspicious.  Most of the writing for PS:T was done by Chris Avellone, who is working on Project Eternity.  Monte Cook is involved...but it's not clear how, beyond using his setting for the game.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on March 07, 2013, 11:50:21 AM
There's now a project to create a "spiritual successor" to Planescape: Torment.

However, I am suspicious.  Most of the writing for PS:T was done by Chris Avellone, who is working on Project Eternity.  Monte Cook is involved...but it's not clear how, beyond using his setting for the game.

Monte Cook's involvement will consist of the following:

1.  Get involved and very enthusiastic, but with some odd contract stipulations.
2.  Write a whole bunch of high-quality shit.
3.  Get in an argument with Avellone, throw a wobbler, take/destroy his material, storm off leaving Avellone with 1/3rd of a project on the ship date.
4.  Go be the guest of honor at a convention in Paraguay or some shit, and tell everyone there how nobody understands his genius, and how everyone in the gaming industry is a vulture.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Also

5. Whine about how hard is life is on his blog, because he has to use public transport sometimes.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on March 07, 2013, 03:46:23 PM
Also

5. Whine about how hard is life is on his blog, because he has to use public transport sometimes.

Well, if you want to work in the game industry, there's a few things you have to give up.

1.  Cars.
2.  Decent housing.
3.  Food.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Well, in this case, the whining was inbetween how he'd bought a flat in a pretty nice part of Seattle but he wouldn't have his car for a few days, so I think it was more a case of first world problems than money issues.

Junkenstein

Just saw this:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera

and

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/portalarium/shroud-of-the-avatar-forsaken-virtues-0

Same opion as Cain, I'm waiting for Zeit before throwing money at Torment. I really want it to be great but I'm wary.

Garriot's new project... Well :
1)Where's the cash gone? This guy went to space. Privately.
2)Have you already done a deal with a developer to fuck yourself? Because you tend to.

That said, I loved the  Ultimas, particularly Pagan. I don;t know how this ones going to go. The online/offline mix usually ends in content lock and disaster.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

Well updates are coming along, and Torment got Avellone.

High expectations now, the plot for both of these should be excellent.

Hells, if they manage to make something a fraction as good as PS:T I'll be a happy camper.

Junkenstein

Liking the creature design for PE so far:

Cain

From the description of them, these things are going to be the bane of my gaming experience.

Y U C THRU MY STEATLTH?

President Television

Quote from: Junkenstein on April 26, 2013, 11:55:46 AM
Liking the creature design for PE so far:

...Batmen? There's a race of batmen? Awesome.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.