Can we talk about me now? (Open bar thread #3,494)

Started by Juana, October 04, 2012, 04:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: vȝx on October 09, 2012, 03:02:23 PM
The best part of working in Utah is walking into the office with some coffee and receiving weird looks like I'm carrying a fifth of whiskey and smoking a joint.
they're anti-caffeine?
that's unamerican!  who let those people in here?!

Verbal Mike

I had an idea once for a political vampire story, in which vampires take control of Latin America and stop caffeine production, forcing North America and the rest of the developed world to stop working so damn long, thus allowing the vampires to roam more freely at night or something. Oh and causing the world economy to collapse, I think. Naturally, I didn't take into account the power of Mormonism.

In other news, I got a letter today from my health insurance provider which seems to say that because I was two days late switching my status from student to "voluntarily insured", I'm gonna be paying the two rates on top of each other for this month. I hope I got that wrong.

Worse yet, I just found out that upon arrival in Israel, I will have a waiting period of 6 months before I can get subsidized healthcare. I only plan to be there for 6 months altogether, in theory. To remove the waiting period I am welcome to pay a fee of 9,900NIS (about $2,560US at current rates.) Those motherfucking assholes. They actually made laws for this shit. I can see it already, I'm gonna end up working there a year after I meant to be gone, just to pay off all of the ridiculous fees that are gonna pop up on me. Because if I spent 5 years abroad, I obviously must be rich now. :argh!:
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: VERBL on October 09, 2012, 03:49:08 PM
I had an idea once for a political vampire story, in which vampires take control of Latin America and stop caffeine production, forcing North America and the rest of the developed world to stop working so damn long, thus allowing the vampires to roam more freely at night or something. Oh and causing the world economy to collapse, I think. Naturally, I didn't take into account the power of Mormonism.

complete this story post haste.

QuoteIn other news, I got a letter today from my health insurance provider which seems to say that because I was two days late switching my status from student to "voluntarily insured", I'm gonna be paying the two rates on top of each other for this month. I hope I got that wrong.

Worse yet, I just found out that upon arrival in Israel, I will have a waiting period of 6 months before I can get subsidized healthcare. I only plan to be there for 6 months altogether, in theory. To remove the waiting period I am welcome to pay a fee of 9,900NIS (about $2,560US at current rates.) Those motherfucking assholes. They actually made laws for this shit. I can see it already, I'm gonna end up working there a year after I meant to be gone, just to pay off all of the ridiculous fees that are gonna pop up on me. Because if I spent 5 years abroad, I obviously must be rich now. :argh!:

As an American, I cannot comprehend this.  What is "subsidized healthcare?" Is that some kind of Commie Pinko thing where breaking your arm some how does not lead to a foreclosure on your home and a 50% levy placed against future earnings for the next 30 years? Because if that's what it is, you should be glad you don't have it. That sounds like something Obama would endorse, and that guy's a snoozefest and a radical.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Worse yet, I just found out that upon arrival in Israel, I will have a waiting period of 6 months before I can get subsidized healthcare.

Well, thank God.  They can't get their commie clutches into you for 6 months.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Anna Mae Bollocks

What is "healthcare"? Do they make you wait six months to exercise or something? HOW IS THIS ENFORCED?????
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Verbal Mike

Quote from: vȝx on October 09, 2012, 04:09:56 PM

complete this story post haste.
Nah, I had the idea like 5-6 years ago, don't think I'm ever gonna make anything out of it at this point. Everyone here should, of course, feel free.
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Freeky

Sita

I got the call and get to work tomorrow :)
It's only a temporary thing, just long enough to help get the office caught up, but it beats nothing.

I need to make sure I get to bed early enough tonight.
:ninja:
Laugh, even if you are screaming inside. Smile, because the world doesn't care if you feel like crying.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sita on October 09, 2012, 07:30:06 PM
It's only a temporary thing, just long enough to help get the office caught up, but it beats nothing.

Good for you, Sita.  It's about time you caught a break.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cain

God I hate Tuesdays.  And Fridays.  But mostly Tuesdays.

Sita

Quote from: Man Yellow on October 09, 2012, 07:32:28 PM

Thanks.
A break was sorely needed. Many needed things will be bought when I get paid.
:ninja:
Laugh, even if you are screaming inside. Smile, because the world doesn't care if you feel like crying.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sita on October 09, 2012, 07:39:30 PM
Quote from: Man Yellow on October 09, 2012, 07:32:28 PM

Thanks.
A break was sorely needed. Many needed things will be bought when I get paid.

I remember when I was younger and the kids were little, $50 or so was a GREAT BIG FUCKING DEAL.

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Chromia

Sometimes I forget what I was going to say. Sometimes I remembeer what everyone's forgotten to say forever and always. Does that ever happen to you?

Cain

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on October 09, 2012, 07:43:46 PM
Quote from: Cain on October 09, 2012, 07:35:32 PM
God I hate Tuesdays.  And Fridays.  But mostly Tuesdays.
Why?

They're the days on which I end up wasting the most time on completely pointless tasks.

Today after breakfast is done, which is always a joy in and of itself, I have to do a bunch of pointless admin and heavy lifting involving our laundry service.  Then I have to spend seven hours in the office, waiting for students to show up with linen to change.  The office is very, very boring.  I have one shitty laptop which I can't do anything with, because I either don't have the permissions or because it's a piece of shit that simply refuses to work properly, and I do nothing except sit and wait.  While tired as hell due to having done an entire weekend of work then a day solo.  For maybe four students who eventually turn up sometime in the evening to change their stuff.

It's a massive timesink, much like our Friday meetings, where I frequently spend up to midday in talks of some kind or another.