News:

PD.com: children are filled with joy, adults are filled with dread and local government is filled with stupid

Main Menu

Can we talk about me now? (Open bar thread #3,494)

Started by Juana, October 04, 2012, 04:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Coyote

Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on October 06, 2012, 03:51:33 PM
I guess I should also confess that, other than the one ill-fated (don't ask) semester in Junior High on the island, I didn't have any schooling after 3rd grade and took my first math class in college, so I wasn't exposed to any of the boring whatever it is that kids get.

Frankly, I think kids should learn to count and do basic math in kindergarten, and then math should be an elective until senior year. The fact that I was raised in the woods by wild badgers and nonetheless was able to learn the entirely of high school math in three terms really drives home how absurd it is that we for some reason spend years teaching children things that they could learn in weeks, and probably far more easily than my aging and occasionally damaged brain did.

Might make peple not hate math if it weren't crammed down their gullets for 3 years in highschool, BUT WHAT WOULD WE DO WITH ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!

Freeky

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 06, 2012, 07:04:13 PM
Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on October 06, 2012, 05:11:26 AM
I had to make so many phone calls tonight. The irony of it is that in between phone calls I was frantically texting my kids, where the fuck are you is everything ok, yeah, your mom is busy NOT TAKING CARE OF YOU while she files incident reports on a suicidal pre-teen whose mom was inexplicably unable to care for him.

Meanwhile, the doctors on the hill say they have this new cream that could cut my healing in half, while I leak blood and serum out of a 4 cm open wound with another 6 cm behind it

Something is wrong with EVERYTHING.

I feel a horror story building.  Whether I like it or not.

I hope things shape up.

TGRR,
Off to get the bullet hole in his car fixed.

!!! D: Jeff showed up?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on October 06, 2012, 08:27:49 PM
Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on October 06, 2012, 05:11:26 AM
I had to make so many phone calls tonight. The irony of it is that in between phone calls I was frantically texting my kids, where the fuck are you is everything ok, yeah, your mom is busy NOT TAKING CARE OF YOU while she files incident reports on a suicidal pre-teen whose mom was inexplicably unable to care for him.

Meanwhile, the doctors on the hill say they have this new cream that could cut my healing in half, while I leak blood and serum out of a 4 cm open wound with another 6 cm behind it

I hope things shape up.

TGRR,

I don't think so.  If he did, he's the most incompetent vengeful assassin EVER.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Freeky

That would be the second best possibility, I think.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I hope things shape up.

TGRR,

Good

Maybe this will be helpful; the pharmacy has no idea what the hell this cream is that they gave me a prescription for. It's not in their system.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Urgh, it's not even 8am and I've got to look for a missing student.  What a lovely start to a Sunday morning.

Verbal Mike

Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on October 06, 2012, 03:34:29 PM
[...] He makes the very typical mistake of assuming that all people enjoy learning in the same ways he enjoys learning (false consensus) and, sadly, proceeds to spend some time more or less bashing scientists for their scientific curiosity, as if science and art are opposites. They are not opposite, and the artistic mind, which asks "can I create?" is often the same as the scientific mind, which asks "what can I do with this creation?"[...]
Yeah, didn't remember he did that. The more time I've spent in science, the more it's become clear to me that it, too, is a form of art, or at least has be treated as such to flourish. So thanks, I probably won't be recommending the Lament again. :)
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Luna

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 06, 2012, 08:41:07 PM
Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on October 06, 2012, 08:27:49 PM

I hope things shape up.

TGRR,

I don't think so.  If he did, he's the most incompetent vengeful assassin EVER.

Tuscon.   :eek:
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: VERBL on October 07, 2012, 10:55:05 AM
Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on October 06, 2012, 03:34:29 PM
[...] He makes the very typical mistake of assuming that all people enjoy learning in the same ways he enjoys learning (false consensus) and, sadly, proceeds to spend some time more or less bashing scientists for their scientific curiosity, as if science and art are opposites. They are not opposite, and the artistic mind, which asks "can I create?" is often the same as the scientific mind, which asks "what can I do with this creation?"[...]
Yeah, didn't remember he did that. The more time I've spent in science, the more it's become clear to me that it, too, is a form of art, or at least has be treated as such to flourish. So thanks, I probably won't be recommending the Lament again. :)

It's really a shame that he devotes so much time to that particular bias of his, because it detracts from what I think is a very valid point about how math is taught to children. For the most part, I agree completely that, rather than memorizing numbers and formulas, they should probably just play games until they're old enough that they're getting into things where they might want to DO STUFF with math.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The older I get, the earlier I want to go to bed, and the earlier I wake up. I'm turning into Grandpa.  :argh!:

Mangrove

Quote from: Cain on October 07, 2012, 07:50:39 AM
Urgh, it's not even 8am and I've got to look for a missing student.  What a lovely start to a Sunday morning.

Missing as in "X couldn't be arsed to go to class" or missing as in, "Holy shit, X hasn't been seen or heard from in ages"?

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Cain

Missing as in "went out late last night, didn't sign back in, wasn't in her room this morning".  We have a lovely tradition here where students who forget to sign in after being allowed out late/overnight get woken up at the crack of dawn and made to do so.  It's normally a mistake they only make once, due to the whole "someone is banging heavily on my door and I've only had three hours of sleep and I'm hungover" aspect of it.

In this case, she found a way around that by not being there at all.  She turned up, though.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on October 07, 2012, 04:51:27 PM
Missing as in "went out late last night, didn't sign back in, wasn't in her room this morning".  We have a lovely tradition here where students who forget to sign in after being allowed out late/overnight get woken up at the crack of dawn and made to do so.  It's normally a mistake they only make once, due to the whole "someone is banging heavily on my door and I've only had three hours of sleep and I'm hungover" aspect of it.

In this case, she found a way around that by not being there at all.  She turned up, though.

I'm glad the brat isn't dead or abducted or something.

I suppose. At least not on your watch.

Luna

Quote from: Cain on October 07, 2012, 04:51:27 PM

So how big a pile of shit does she wind up under for not coming home?
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Cain

Given a formal warning, which is sent to her parents and tutor, reduced curfew next weekend.

And at least I didn't have to trawl around the police stations to try and find her.  As I discovered with our first disappearance, London has two different police systems - the Metropolian Police, aka "The Biggest Gang in London", aka "Rupert Murdoch's paid lapdogs".  And then there are the actual local police stations.

If someone is caught by the Met, good job.  Assuming they weren't shot, beaten, fed their own drugs until they had a heart attack or sold to a reporter for 50 pence and a lapdance from a Page 3 girl, you can find them regardless of what station they are at, because the system is centralized.

If they're not...you're fucked.  The local system isn't centralized anywhere, so you have to ring each individual station.  Sometimes, if they're feeling generous, they'll ring around other stations in the Borough for you.  But don't bet on it.