News:

Testimonial: "Yeah, wasn't expecting it. Near shat myself."

Main Menu

Can we talk about me now? (Open bar thread #3,494)

Started by Juana, October 04, 2012, 04:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: American Jackal on October 13, 2012, 05:10:16 AM
Quote from: Man Yellow on October 13, 2012, 05:07:45 AM
Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on October 13, 2012, 05:06:50 AM
I'm pretty certain at this point that I'm going to despise being a Metro-Boston resident until May.

Twid,
Got home awhile ago, still wearing jacket.

It was 97F here today. 

Just saying.

It rained today. A fair amount. I finally got issued wet weather gear by my reserve unit, at the end of the day, when it stopped raining. Told a bunch of kids to stop crying about how cold it was this morning.

Then the tentacles came out and it was time to centermasstriggersqueezeSCRRAAAAAAAPEPOP

Enjoy your ice age, lowlanders! 
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Man Yellow on October 13, 2012, 05:11:42 AM
I'm pretty certain at this point that I'm going to despise being a Metro-Boston resident until May.

Twid,

It was 97F here today. 

Just saying.

It rained today. A fair amount. I finally got issued wet weather gear by my reserve unit, at the end of the day, when it stopped raining. Told a bunch of kids to stop crying about how cold it was this morning.

Then the tentacles came out and it was time to centermasstriggersqueezeSCRRAAAAAAAPEPOP

Enjoy your ice age, lowlanders!

You know why Tuscon floods when it barely rains?

It is Tuscon REJECTING something even more unholy in the rain.

Tuscon keeps you safe from the Things in the Rain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NQFMeyWVe3g#t=16s

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Nephew Twiddleton

Twid,

It was 97F here today. 

Just saying.

My climate preference is Ireland.

And I'm not just saying that because I'm Irish. I've been there in winter and summer. If I could have Boston and Ireland at the same time, I would, right away. Boston's awesome and the climate sucks. Ireland has a stable, but dreary, climate. I'm cool with that, I like rain. And I like temperatures between 40 and 80. I don't like temperatures that exceed 80, let alone go into triple digits, and I don't like temperatures that go below 40, especially if they go into single digits.

Rest of world:

the range of 40-80 is in your French reckoning: 4.4444444-26.6667 Celsius.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Mangrove on October 12, 2012, 07:57:35 PM
Quote from: Man Green on October 12, 2012, 11:09:21 AM
I am now referring to December 20, 2012 as the "Anticlimactalypse".

I love this. Works with my 'Don't wait...be disappointed NOW!' Mayan meme.

:)
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Twid,

It was 97F here today. 

Just saying.

This is one thing I will always hate about Boston.

About a week and a half ago, it was summer conditions. Now it's suddenly fucking January, and it will continue to be January until April. And then we'll have a week and a half of spring and then it will be August.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 12, 2012, 08:05:24 PM
A cylinder is just a top-heavy cone.

You're welcome.

Yes, the formula is pretty straightforward. The assignment itself had me stumped, because it is to form, explain, and prove a conjecture about the relationship between the proportionate increase or decrease of a cylinder and its surface area. All of which is material we have not yet covered. So what I came up with is that the formula to proportionately increase or decrease a cylinder is 2πrc^2(r+h) but I ran out of time to graph it because I have other classes and a job and shit.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Man Yellow on October 12, 2012, 08:42:46 PM
You fuckers ever have a day where everything just goes RIGHT?  Like Mechanical Jesus was running shit, and everything just falls into your lap, without any effort on your part at all?

Yeah.  Me neither.

I was gonna say.

Yeah, no.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Nephew Twiddleton

Just as a comparison, I'm looking at weather.com right now and the temps in Somerville, MA (which is right next to Boston) are:
36F, with windchill, 29F

In Not Murka that means:

2.22222 degrees, but feels like -1.66667

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Uncle Wallified on October 13, 2012, 04:00:11 AM
And it occurs to me that my above post has some pretty horrifying implications about Discordia, in the general vein of "HAPPINESS IS MANDATORY". Which we all know it sure as fuck isn't.

But still, I can't help feeling incredibly guilty about my inability to ever, ever laugh, and then my tendency to analyze it and moralize about the whole thing and feel guilty, which in turn is something to feel guilty over, which in turn is something to feel guilty over, etc.

It seems like my entire thought process is just a neverending loop of misery and guilt.

And then it occurs to me: Maybe I'm just not cut out for Discordia. I mean, I like the ideas. And I like the people. But I myself am a horrible, horrible example of a Discordian. I never enjoy myself. I never take an active part in making the world stranger. I feel like I'm unworthy of it. Incapable of it. I think there's something the rest of you possess that I lack, and maybe it's something that I'll never have. So my choice is obvious: I quit, or I live with being a hypocrite.

What is this "enjoyment" shit?  :lulz:

Seriously, I am not 100% sure that you're getting it, or whether you're just glamorizing what you think it's supposed to be.

You know what I enjoy? Really fucking enjoy? Going to bed early without a morning deadline.

Cooking and feeding my family a delicious meal.

Curling up with a good escapist novel.

Spending the last hour of my day in bed with a really engaging TV show.

An afternoon hike with someone I'm really into.

Giving my kid $100 and spending the afternoon with them at the mall.

Those are things I find ENJOYABLE. Seriously. Give me $500, a hot guy I like, and a beach village, and I will ENJOY THE SHIT out of it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Man Yellow on October 13, 2012, 06:41:56 AM
Quote from: Man Green on October 13, 2012, 06:31:32 AM
Quote from: Man Yellow on October 12, 2012, 09:27:55 PM
Annnnd the board died for the weekend, I guess.

I WORKED LATE :crankey:

Don't mind me, I'm just being a sniveling jackass.

NAHHH, that overstates the point. I  get cranky as fuck when I'm home on the weekend and nobody's posting.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I am not sure people ENJOY being Discordians as much as they just do it because complacency is worse.