News:

All you can say in this site's defence is that it, rather than reality, occupies the warped minds of some of the planet's most twisted people; gods know what they would get up to if it wasn't here.  In these arguably insane times, any lessening or attenuation of madness is maybe something to be thankful for.

Main Menu

Can we talk about me now? (Open bar thread #3,494)

Started by Juana, October 04, 2012, 04:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Cain on October 18, 2012, 11:40:07 AM
Pixie, I suggest if you want to continue writing for them or any other online blog/zine, it is easier to do so under your own name.

I blogged anonymously, but that was because I pissed people off.  Using your own name adds credibility to what you say and makes your comments harder to dismiss.

Okay. I'm going to use my maiden name, not my married one (although that's just dropping it off the double barrel.) and Annie, rather than my birth certificate name.

Thanks, Cain.

LMNO

Quote from: Man Yellow on October 18, 2012, 01:45:56 AM
Quote from: Cain on October 18, 2012, 12:03:35 AM
If that condition extends to the rest of Arizona, someone needs to write Springtime for Sheriff Joe.

It does, and someone should.

You are going to want to hear this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC2m2IzHPVU

Cain

It seems like my boss may have finally come to her senses and realized that the 14 hour days are not doing me any good.

It looks like I will either have a choice of working during the day, normal office hours, and then going off duty, or else being the evening/overnight duty person, but off for all of the day.  Since I'm intending to return to my studies at some point, the latter has a special appeal.

Unfortunately, no clue on when this will start, probably not until after Xmas at the earliest, but it would mean I could sleep in, go to the gym during the day, spend the afternoon trolling celebrities on Twitter studying and spend most nights only doing an hour or two of real work.

Which would be nice.  Need to check holiday arrangements, however.  Want to keep my current weekends arrangement, and shift my nights off to Thursday/Friday for four day weekends every few weeks.

LMNO

That sounds too reasonable to be true.  What's the catch?

Cain

I'm on duty overnight, meaning if anyone gets called, it will be me.  And only me.  From about 11pm to 8am, I'm on my own.

Most nights that wont be a problem, and for lockout issues the students can call the security company who, unlike me, can and will charge them for being called out (I have lobbied to undercut their prices on out of hour lockouts, with a 50/50 split between the school and the individual staff member, but so far it's not going anywhere).

But since I can sleep in during the day, it's not a huge issue, even if I have to take a student to the out of hours clinic or something (and we should be getting an on-site nurse, too).  I guess the main catch is regardless of how late I get to bed, I will still have to get up at 8am, just to turn my work phone off.  That might be annoying.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pixie on October 18, 2012, 09:45:05 AM
Quote from: Man Green on October 18, 2012, 06:47:58 AM
Pixie, I am excited at the prospect of you moving forward with your feminist writing... you have a gift with words, and a passion for equality, and it seems like that is a combination that has enormous potential to make change and influence a lot of people.

aww, thank you Nigel. I'm not good with fiction, but I always wanted to be a journalist and music critic as a teenager. That you think I have a gift with words is making my head swell a little, I just thought I was fucking opinionated... :noodledance:

Doing just 800 words is going to be tricky. though. In the Reddit and Rape Culture thread I got to over 1000 in the one post, without breaking sweat. I should probably mine that thread for my Best Bits.

You ARE opinionated, and you are very good at presenting that opinion in a way that is articulate, compelling and non-alienating. You could do the feminist movement a lot of good IMO.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

It's Flu Shot Day at work.  Which means I get to find out who the stupidest people on my team are, while being forced to listen to their bullshit ant-vaccination misinformation.

Verbal Mike

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 18, 2012, 05:35:43 PM
It's Flu Shot Day at work.  Which means I get to find out who the stupidest people on my team are, while being forced to listen to their bullshit ant-vaccination misinformation.
Whoa, there's a vaccine against ants? My friend's gonna be thrilled to know, he was just telling me today about how ants somehow managed to destroy his family's electricity meter out in the country a few years ago. (Seriously, that shit happened.)
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Verbal Mike on October 18, 2012, 06:13:25 PM
Whoa, there's a vaccine against ants? My friend's gonna be thrilled to know, he was just telling me today about how ants somehow managed to destroy his family's electricity meter out in the country a few years ago. (Seriously, that shit happened.)

Nice derail.  9/10.  Well done.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: Man Yellow on October 18, 2012, 06:14:13 PM

discordia is a train with tank treads. you cannot derail it.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: V3X on October 18, 2012, 06:15:28 PM
Quote from: Man Yellow on October 18, 2012, 06:14:13 PM

discordia is a train with tank treads. you cannot derail it.

Discordia is a unicycle with a flat tire.  You cannot derail it.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Discordia never had rails to start with.

Incidentally, now my shoulder hurts, and I feel mildly drunk.  YAY!

Nephew Twiddleton

Looks as if we wont be playing with our usual line up next week. Either well have a guest bassist or ill be playing bass/guitar through a pitch shifter unless pat or pete offer a third option.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

LMNO

You're just trying to be more like the Doors, admit it.

Nephew Twiddleton

Only this once. Villager is requesting a sick day.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS