Can we talk about me now? (Open bar thread #3,494)

Started by Juana, October 04, 2012, 04:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Man Yellow on October 21, 2012, 08:13:29 PM
Quote from: Man Green on October 21, 2012, 07:33:09 PM
Quote from: Luna on October 21, 2012, 07:15:31 PM
Quote from: Man Green on October 21, 2012, 07:07:51 PM
Infection is gone this morning, yay!

Of course it is.  It didn't want to get Nigel'd.  It was only there because it lost a bet, and wasn't expected to actually return...

:lulz:

I was surprised (why? I shouldn't be) by the number of people on Facebook who were all "It's time you get a professional involved!" and "Call your doctor!"
:?

It's nice that they cared enough to post, but you would think that if they cared enough to post that maybe they would also have cared enough to have noticed that this is an ongoing situation dating back two months and I'm at OHSU often enough to be on a first-name basis with every doctor in the Center for Women's Health.

I also saw more than a couple of home remedies.

I understand now what you meant by "trying to fix things" being a royal pain the in ass.

I think you have to TRAIN people on facebook.

People who are CONSISTENTLY sick/injured get their stories followed. I posted that I couldn't WALK and it took three days for anybody to ask what happened.

Also, a woman with some dire health issues who I've been supportive of ignored me for a few days. Probably thought I was moving in on her hustle.  :horrormirth:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Of course it is.  It didn't want to get Nigel'd.  It was only there because it lost a bet, and wasn't expected to actually return...

I was surprised (why? I shouldn't be) by the number of people on Facebook who were all "It's time you get a professional involved!" and "Call your doctor!"

It's nice that they cared enough to post, but you would think that if they cared enough to post that maybe they would also have cared enough to have noticed that this is an ongoing situation dating back two months and I'm at OHSU often enough to be on a first-name basis with every doctor in the Center for Women's Health.

I understand now what you meant by "trying to fix things" being a royal pain the in ass.

Yeah. :lulz: I loved Zach, though, whose home remedy was mixing honey with herbs and soda water and using it to wash down some antibiotics.

But I am always astonished by the people who SERIOUSLY recommend a home remedy for something that is obviously beyond the scope of Grandma's Herb Rack. "My abdominal surgery incision is infected" is DEFINITELY NOT home remedy material. :lol: That's sort of like recommending a nice herbal tea for meningitis.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Man Green on October 21, 2012, 09:01:20 PM

Yeah. :lulz: I loved Zach, though, whose home remedy was mixing honey with herbs and soda water and using it to wash down some antibiotics.

But I am always astonished by the people who SERIOUSLY recommend a home remedy for something that is obviously beyond the scope of Grandma's Herb Rack. "My abdominal surgery incision is infected" is DEFINITELY NOT home remedy material. :lol: That's sort of like recommending a nice herbal tea for meningitis.

I don't trust neurosurgeons.  Pardon me, I'm off to get a hammer and chisel.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on October 21, 2012, 08:31:08 PM

People who are CONSISTENTLY sick/injured get their stories followed. I posted that I couldn't WALK and it took three days for anybody to ask what happened.

Also, a woman with some dire health issues who I've been supportive of ignored me for a few days. Probably thought I was moving in on her hustle.  :horrormirth:

I also wonder how much of it is the weird fucking way Facebook filters stories? You don't see all of them in order anymore, and there's no way to force it to show you, either. Sometimes you see things, sometimes you don't.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Man Green on October 21, 2012, 09:02:59 PM

I also wonder how much of it is the weird fucking way Facebook filters stories? You don't see all of them in order anymore, and there's no way to force it to show you, either. Sometimes you see things, sometimes you don't.

Hush.  You don't want to attract Zuckerberg's Cleaners.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Man Yellow on October 21, 2012, 09:02:36 PM
Quote from: Man Green on October 21, 2012, 09:01:20 PM

I don't trust neurosurgeons.  Pardon me, I'm off to get a hammer and chisel.

DON'T TRUST DOCTORS

DO THIS ANTI-CANCER DANCE.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Man Yellow on October 21, 2012, 09:03:43 PM
Quote from: Man Green on October 21, 2012, 09:02:59 PM

Hush.  You don't want to attract Zuckerberg's Cleaners.

I'll "clean" Zuckerberg!  :argh!:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Man Green on October 21, 2012, 09:03:53 PM
DON'T TRUST DOCTORS

It's a good thing the left isn't anti-science, like the right.

"My water.  It is FULL OF FLOURIDE!"
\
:hippie:

Also, "herbal tea"?  By definition, ALL TEA IS HERBAL.

This is why I stick to coffee, which was invented by all-American sciency-types.

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Good Reverend Roger

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I think it's fascinating that there are people on Facebook and other forums who are in a state of crisis for YEARS. Not chronic illness (people I know who have actual chronic illnesses, interestingly, almost never seem to be in a state of crisis... perhaps because they learned long ago that crisis makes them really sick and they don't want to die) but one acute illness after another, which always turns out to be not what they thought it was but actually something else (usually as they go from one naturopath to another, since none of them seem to agree on what different symptoms mean) and then they go from one questionable and expensive treatment to another, in the meantime dragging out years and years and years worth of drama with the same people in their lives. One woman I know has been in an acute state of drama with her husband and stepkids for about the last ten years; she can't stand the stepkids, they misbehave, blah blah blah, she's mad at her husband because he "doesn't stand up to them", blah blah blah, now one of them is getting married and she's in a state of crisis because the bride isn't taking the wedding preparations as seriously as she is. I'm like, seriously lady? :roll:

How do these people even live like this?

I remember one lady who had a crisis for like a year and a half because she sold a bird to someone and then felt like they weren't taking good enough care of it, and wanted to do home visits and they were all "what? leave us alone!" and eventually got a restraining order against her.

And they get so much sympathy and boo-hoo, poor you! from all their internet friends, for YEARS.

I think that at some point, if your life is a series of drama and crises, there comes a time when you need to look at it and go, OK, is it really that life is raining an unending and disproportionate deluge of horror and conflict on me, or is most of this drama coming from the way I'm handling ordinary challenges? Do other people commonly have these challenges? How do they handle them differently so that their lives aren't a succession of crises?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Man Green on October 21, 2012, 09:24:26 PM
I think it's fascinating that there are people on Facebook and other forums who are in a state of crisis for YEARS. Not chronic illness (people I know who have actual chronic illnesses, interestingly, almost never seem to be in a state of crisis... perhaps because they learned long ago that crisis makes them really sick and they don't want to die) but one acute illness after another, which always turns out to be not what they thought it was but actually something else (usually as they go from one naturopath to another, since none of them seem to agree on what different symptoms mean) and then they go from one questionable and expensive treatment to another, in the meantime dragging out years and years and years worth of drama with the same people in their lives. One woman I know has been in an acute state of drama with her husband and stepkids for about the last ten years; she can't stand the stepkids, they misbehave, blah blah blah, she's mad at her husband because he "doesn't stand up to them", blah blah blah, now one of them is getting married and she's in a state of crisis because the bride isn't taking the wedding preparations as seriously as she is. I'm like, seriously lady? :roll:

How do these people even live like this?

I remember one lady who had a crisis for like a year and a half because she sold a bird to someone and then felt like they weren't taking good enough care of it, and wanted to do home visits and they were all "what? leave us alone!" and eventually got a restraining order against her.

And they get so much sympathy and boo-hoo, poor you! from all their internet friends, for YEARS.

I think that at some point, if your life is a series of drama and crises, there comes a time when you need to look at it and go, OK, is it really that life is raining an unending and disproportionate deluge of horror and conflict on me, or is most of this drama coming from the way I'm handling ordinary challenges? Do other people commonly have these challenges? How do they handle them differently so that their lives aren't a succession of crises?

My solution is to give attention-seekers lots of attention.  You'd think that's what they want, but apparently it isn't.

Juana

:lulz: :lulz: Yes. Pointed, snarky attention.

Quote from: Man Yellow on October 21, 2012, 09:21:27 PM
Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on October 21, 2012, 09:21:09 PM
I can't drink coffee anymore.  :cry: I miss it.

Why not?
Uh, I fucked up my stomach one summer through irresponsible eating. I can drink and eat acidic things, I just can't drink coffee without being miserable for eight to ten hours and spending about half of that wanting to puke.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Man Yellow on October 21, 2012, 09:05:28 PM
Quote from: Man Green on October 21, 2012, 09:03:53 PM
DON'T TRUST DOCTORS

It's a good thing the left isn't anti-science, like the right.

"My water.  It is FULL OF FLOURIDE!"
\
:hippie:

Also, "herbal tea"?  By definition, ALL TEA IS HERBAL.

This is why I stick to coffee, which was invented by all-American sciency-types.

The dialogue on fluoridation going down in Portland right now makes me want to punch people in the neck. No, I won't sign your goddamn petition because I DON'T want the public to have a chance to vote on public health policy, dumbasses.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on October 21, 2012, 09:29:15 PM
:lulz: :lulz: Yes. Pointed, snarky attention.

Either that, or I explain what their problems actually are, in my Godlike omniscience.  They don't like that shit, either.

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on October 21, 2012, 09:29:15 PM
Quote from: Man Yellow on October 21, 2012, 09:21:27 PM
Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on October 21, 2012, 09:21:09 PM
I can't drink coffee anymore.  :cry: I miss it.

Why not?
Uh, I fucked up my stomach one summer through irresponsible eating. I can drink and eat acidic things, I just can't drink coffee without being miserable for eight to ten hours and spending about half of that wanting to puke.

They make a pill for that.  If I don't have a Nexium in the morning, by noon I'm vomiting acid like the beasties in Aliens

TGRR,
Better living through chemistry