News:

We can't help you...in fact, we're part of the problem.

Main Menu

Garbo: Some rather surprising good news.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, October 15, 2012, 10:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mmusi_and_Others_v_Ramantele_and_Another

It's almost like the rest of the world is running forward while we plod backwards.

The jackass in question does some remarkably fine whining at the bottom of the article.

"PEOPLE SHOULD RESPECT OUR CULTURE!"
\
:mullet:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

By comparison, of course (not so good news):

The public record shows that the 112th Congress has averaged one anti-women vote for every week it's been in session since the Republicans took control in January 2011. Those 55 votes against women (and children) break down like this:

• Seventeen votes allow health insurance companies to (1) discriminate by charging women higher premiums than men and (2) deny women coverage based on "pre-existing conditions" like being pregnant (yes, pregnancy can be a pre-existing condition).

• Eleven votes cut women's access to preventive care. This includes votes to repeal Affordable Care Act provisions that provide free, preventive care for women, as well as votes to eliminate the Prevention and Public Health Fund that supports breastfeeding and immunizations, and which was previously budgeted to pay for breast and cervical cancer screenings for hundreds of thousands of women in 2013 and beyond.

• Ten votes restrict or roll back abortion rights or access to legal abortion; this includes votes to ban the use of federal funds to train medical students in the provision of abortions. There were also votes to allow hospitals to deny emergency abortions to women whose lives are in jeopardy (yes, let's repeat that – to women whose lives are in jeopardy).

• Seven votes cut funding for key nutrition programs for women, infants and children, such as cuts to the Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children that provides nutrition, food counseling and support for more than nine million low-income pregnant women, new mothers and infants each month.

• Six votes were against protections for women from violence and discrimination; this includes votes against protecting the confidentiality of domestic violence victims and votes to oppose additional funding for grants under the Violence Against Women Act. It also chillingly includes votes to place new restrictions on the citizenship rights of legal, foreign-born women who are victims of domestic violence (yes, women who are legally citizens but who were born elsewhere).

• Three votes were to block access to reproductive and maternal care services, including votes for a budget that prohibits funding of Planned Parenthood and eliminates funding for the Title X Family Planning Program, which provides family planning services for millions of low-income women every year.

• Three votes were taken to undermine Medicare and Medicaid programs, including votes to end the basic Medicare guarantee and votes to turn Medicaid into a block grant, slash $800 billion in existing federal support for state Medicaid programs, and repeal $640 billion of new Medicaid funding from the Affordable Care Act over the next 10 years.

• Fourteen votes weakened environmental laws protecting pregnant women, including votes to block EPA regulations to protect pregnant women and women of childbearing age from exposure to mercury, a potent neurotoxin that poses particular risks to the brain and nervous system of unborn children. Although the new religious totem for the Republicans is the fetus, the love affair stops once the child is born, so obviously children with brain damage are not a priority.

http://www.journaltribune.com/articles/2012/10/10/columnist/doc507587ce78790331754230.txt

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Juana

Quote from: Man Yellow on October 15, 2012, 10:54:30 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mmusi_and_Others_v_Ramantele_and_Another

It's almost like the rest of the world is running forward while we plod backwards.

The jackass in question does some remarkably fine whining at the bottom of the article.

"PEOPLE SHOULD RESPECT OUR CULTURE!"
\
:mullet:
Good to see! Judge Key Dingake: doin' it right INC.

Quote from: Man Yellow on October 15, 2012, 11:01:46 PM
By comparison, of course (not so good news):

The public record shows that the 112th Congress has averaged one anti-women vote for every week it’s been in session since the Republicans took control in January 2011. Those 55 votes against women (and children) break down like this:

• Seventeen votes allow health insurance companies to (1) discriminate by charging women higher premiums than men and (2) deny women coverage based on “pre-existing conditions” like being pregnant (yes, pregnancy can be a pre-existing condition).

• Eleven votes cut women’s access to preventive care. This includes votes to repeal Affordable Care Act provisions that provide free, preventive care for women, as well as votes to eliminate the Prevention and Public Health Fund that supports breastfeeding and immunizations, and which was previously budgeted to pay for breast and cervical cancer screenings for hundreds of thousands of women in 2013 and beyond.

• Ten votes restrict or roll back abortion rights or access to legal abortion; this includes votes to ban the use of federal funds to train medical students in the provision of abortions. There were also votes to allow hospitals to deny emergency abortions to women whose lives are in jeopardy (yes, let’s repeat that – to women whose lives are in jeopardy).

• Seven votes cut funding for key nutrition programs for women, infants and children, such as cuts to the Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children that provides nutrition, food counseling and support for more than nine million low-income pregnant women, new mothers and infants each month.

• Six votes were against protections for women from violence and discrimination; this includes votes against protecting the confidentiality of domestic violence victims and votes to oppose additional funding for grants under the Violence Against Women Act. It also chillingly includes votes to place new restrictions on the citizenship rights of legal, foreign-born women who are victims of domestic violence (yes, women who are legally citizens but who were born elsewhere).

• Three votes were to block access to reproductive and maternal care services, including votes for a budget that prohibits funding of Planned Parenthood and eliminates funding for the Title X Family Planning Program, which provides family planning services for millions of low-income women every year.

• Three votes were taken to undermine Medicare and Medicaid programs, including votes to end the basic Medicare guarantee and votes to turn Medicaid into a block grant, slash $800 billion in existing federal support for state Medicaid programs, and repeal $640 billion of new Medicaid funding from the Affordable Care Act over the next 10 years.

• Fourteen votes weakened environmental laws protecting pregnant women, including votes to block EPA regulations to protect pregnant women and women of childbearing age from exposure to mercury, a potent neurotoxin that poses particular risks to the brain and nervous system of unborn children. Although the new religious totem for the Republicans is the fetus, the love affair stops once the child is born, so obviously children with brain damage are not a priority.

http://www.journaltribune.com/articles/2012/10/10/columnist/doc507587ce78790331754230.txt

Ugh. I hope we get rid of all Republicans up for re-election this time around. That would be nice, yes? I don't have much in the way of respect for the Dems, but at least they aren't (as) sexist.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on October 15, 2012, 11:05:33 PM
Ugh. I hope we get rid of them ALL this time around. That would be nice. I don't have much in the way of respect for the Dems, but at least they aren't (as) sexist.

Yeah, well, quietly allowing this sort of shit is "bad".  Actively DOING it is "worse".

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Luna

Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."