News:

Several times a month, I will be in a store aisle reaching for something and feel a hand going up the inside of my thigh. When I turn around to find myself alone with a woman, and ask her if she would prefer me to hold still so she can get a better feel for the situation, oftentimes she will act "shocked" claiming nothing had happened, it must be somebody else...

Main Menu

Is there a reliable source for non-bullshit?

Started by Anna Mae Bollocks, October 21, 2012, 07:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna Mae Bollocks

Lots of blogs. This blogger says the only source she could find was Bill O'Reilly  :x and there's a removed youtube video.

Interesting story, though.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Cain

Quote from: Emo Howard on October 22, 2012, 04:16:46 AM
Quote from: Cain on October 22, 2012, 12:39:11 AM
Quote from: Emo Howard on October 21, 2012, 08:10:33 PM
The guy who sits next to me at work swears by BBC news.

You might want to point out to that guy the BBC almost certainly helped cover up the predatory pedophilic tendencies of one of their most famous presenters, to the point of shelving a Newsnight investigation into the claims last year.

This presenter was especially well known for a program which gave him access to young children.

Nice. What was his name?

It seems that every news organization has its biases, but most of them have different ones. The more sources you use, the easier it becomes to separate truth from BS. I really miss Newsworld International, which was just news programs from all over the world.

If I recall correctly, it was Al Gore (and friends) that bought that channel and turned it to shit.

Jimmy Saville.

And yes.  You have institutional biases which are shared by most news corporations and arise from cost-cutting methods of gathering news data and lack of adequate fact-checking before publishing a story, traits which are readily abused by PR firms and government officials.

And then you have personal or corporate-wide ideological beliefs, which can also influence reporting.

Mangrove

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

LMNO

There is no "one" source.  Any person who has extensive, unbiased knowledge in one area tends to feel like they have equal knowledge in other areas.  LessWrong has a sequence about that which I can't find right now.

Anyway, a good indicator you have a potentially unbiased source is when they provide the charts, studies, polls, and reports they're using to come to a conclusion.  That way, you can look for yourself and see if it makes sense.

The Good Reverend Roger

Why would you WANT a reliable source of information in the first place?

Information allows planning.

Planning only causes problems later.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Quote from: Man Yellow on October 22, 2012, 05:30:36 PM

Mike, how did you manage to get hold of Roger's account?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 22, 2012, 05:37:40 PM
Quote from: Man Yellow on October 22, 2012, 05:30:36 PM

Mike, how did you manage to get hold of Roger's account?

:lulz:

Actually, that would be more of a Filthy Assistant thing.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Anna Mae Bollocks

"FACTS ARE LIES"
- Wiccan Goddess

Was she one of you guys? I used to get into brawls with her and have this disturbing thought about midway through that she might be Cain or somebody fucking with all of us.  :lulz:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 22, 2012, 05:20:24 PM
There is no "one" source.  Any person who has extensive, unbiased knowledge in one area tends to feel like they have equal knowledge in other areas.  LessWrong has a sequence about that which I can't find right now.

Anyway, a good indicator you have a potentially unbiased source is when they provide the charts, studies, polls, and reports they're using to come to a conclusion.  That way, you can look for yourself and see if it makes sense.

This.

I recall being particularly impressed with a story I heard on NPR about poll results. 99% of the air time was spent discussing why this guys findings were reliable, the methodology used, the track record, very careful tip-toeing around anything that could lead to false conclusions. The other 1% was a quick statement about his actual findings.

It smacked of quality.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool