News:

PD may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.  If PD splits open, do not look directly at resulting goo.  PD is still legal in 14 states.

Main Menu

Election Night. Gimme My Fix.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, November 06, 2012, 04:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Hahahahahaha!

Someone's getting their bits fined off.  Maybe even some time in the hoosegow.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Juana

Screen cap of voting irregularities:

Second article:
QuoteUpdate @5:45 pm pm ET: An independent analysis of the list of names challenged by Tampa Vote Fair's Kimberly Kelley reveals the list is 40 percent black, which compares to 15 percent of registered voters who are black. Political scientists Daniel Smith of University of Florida and Michael Herron of Dartmouth College identified 73 people on the list using voter ID numbers in the Florida voter file. They also found just 16 percent of the voters on the list were registered as Republicans, compared to 33 percent of county voters. "We're essentially seeing the privitzation of voter suppression," says Smith, "and that should be highly disconcerting. Now we have private citizens through this organization Tampa Vote Fair doing their own data mining and matching and challenging potential citizens at the polls."

Tea Party activists in Florida's largely black and electorally significant Interstate 4 corridor have worked furiously to put a damper on what has been a record-setting turnout thus far. In one of the most striking examples of voter suppression to emerge, Voting Rights Watch obtained a list of several dozen Hillsborough County voters who will be surprised to learn they cannot vote regular ballots thanks to last-minute challenges filed against them.

I've requested similar information from Miami-Dade, Orange, Pinellas and Seminole counties, but officials have not responded. A spokesperson for the Secretary of State's Office, Chris Cate, said the state does not track voter challenges, so there is no way of knowing how widespread these sorts of challenges may be.

In Hillsborough County, seventy-seven people—forty of them in Tampa—won't be able to file a regular ballot because the True the Vote–affiliated group Tampa Vote Fair has challenged their voting status. Of those, sixty-eight have been challenged because Tampa Vote Fair asserts they are ineligible due to a felony conviction. These people will not know that their vote has been challenged until they reach the polls and are forced to cast a provisional ballot. (Some of them may have already attempted to vote during the early voting period.)

According to documents provided to Voting Rights Watch by Hillsborough County Attorney's office, all seventy-seven of the voter challenges were filed by Kimberly Kelley, Tampa Vote Fair's president, and all are dated October 16, 2012—a full week after voter registration ended in Florida. Earlier this year, Kelley sent to the Hillsborough County Supervisor of Elections multiple lists of people she suspected were ineligible to vote because of felony convictions. One of those lists had 1,375 names on it, which the county supervisor forwarded on to the state to investigate, but which turned up no names yet of people improperly registered.

Kelley's new list is significant in that it is an official under-oath declaration from Tampa Vote Fair that these people should not be allowed to vote. Kelley is putting herself at risk by filing the challenges. If any of the challenges are determined to be frivolous, then Kelley could be charged with a first-degree misdemeanor, punishable by up to a year in prison, for each bogus challenge. The attorney general will make the determination of whether the challenges are frivolous or in good faith, but this is unchartered territory—perhaps the most extreme steps a True the Vote–affiliated group has taken to strip voters of election rights. Hillsborough County managing attorney Mary Helen Farris told me she is not aware of any voter challenges filed in 2008 or 2010.

All of Kelley's challenges were made by matching state voter registration names and dates of birth with information from the state's Department of Corrections database. In nine cases, she challenged voters based off them having the wrong addresses, while in the other sixty-eight she accuses of them of being "an adjudicated guilty felon."

Florida's laws around felony disenfranchisement and for challenging voters both have roots in a time and space when the state's lawmakers were purposely trying to suppress black voters. The Brennan Center for Justice's report "Voter Challengers" says:

Many states originally enacted challenger laws to block minority voters' access to the polls. Virginia, for instance, passed its first challenger law in the immediate wake of Reconstruction alongside a host of other suppressive measures, such as poll taxes and literacy tests, aimed at recently freed former slaves. Other states—like Florida, Ohio and Minnesota—similarly passed challenger legislation during the nineteenth century to suppress turnout in black communities.

The Brennan Center recommends that challengers bear the burden of proving a voter is ineligible through documented evidence before a legal challenge can be placed, while giving the presumption of eligibility—the presumption of innocence—to a voter. Brennan also recommends that voters should be shielded from frivolous challenges and given ample time to respond to a challenge before Election Day, as opposed to showing up at the polls and finding out that they can't file a regular ballot.

The Controversy Over Bottled Water

Kelley's challenges aren't the only ones Tampa voters needed to worry about during the early voting period. Last Friday and Saturday, the last two official days of early voting, black voters and NAACP members were upset when Republican poll watchers challenged NAACP members for passing out water and offering chairs to voters standing in long lines in the hot sun.

Black voters have been turning out in record numbers, not only in Tampa but throughout the state. There are reports of people standing in line up to seven hours, many of them elderly and disabled—and at one Orlando site there was a bomb scare.

So NAACP members have been passing out water to help people deal with the heat. A Republican poll watcher reported this activity at the C. Blythe Andrews Jr. polling site in Tampa, a predominantly African-American district, and had the poll clerk stop the water distribution. According to NAACP political action chair Yvette Lewis, the Republican poll watcher accused the teams of bribing voters with the water, much like a challenge filed by a Republican poll watcher Sunday when helpers passed out fried fish.

Lewis said the water ban was made possible by a poll watcher assigned by the Democratic Party (all poll watchers are assigned by the political parties) who capitulated to the Republican poll watcher's demands, in an effort to "pick and choose their battles."

True the Vote–affiliated poll watchers filed similar challenges against the NAACP for passing out water in Houston. Right-wing blogger Matthew Vadum, who once wrote that it should be criminal to register low-income people to vote, wrote about the Houston NAACP Water-Gate caper saying:

Poll watcher Eve Rockford said members of the left-wing so-called civil rights group appeared at the early polling place wearing NAACP-labeled clothing and 50 cases of bottled water. The activists handed out the water bottles to individuals standing in line waiting to vote. They were also "stirring the crowd" and "talking to voters about flying to Ohio to promote President Barack Obama," said Rockford, who was trained in poll-watching by True the Vote, a prominent electoral integrity organization.

Lewis said the Republican poll watcher stood outside the polling place, "Grinning like, 'Ha, I control you all, I shut you all down,' because that's what it felt like. We had all these people out here to help voters and this one man shut it down."

But it didn't seem to stop the flow of voter traffic. Black voter turnout at predominantly black districts hovered around 45 percent, which Lewis said was "very good" compared to 2008. But it also means that there's roughly half of remaining black eligible voters who have one more day to vote, tomorrow, which means lines could be even longer.

The early voting number totals are impressive—166,937 in total throughout Hillsborough County, the anchor of the important Interstate 4 corridor that includes Tampa, Orlando and Daytona Beach. In 2008, the total early voting numbers in Hillsborough County totalled 146,563—and that was with four more days of early voting than this year.

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Juana

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on November 06, 2012, 06:16:07 PM

How about now?

Nope.  Photobucket's blocked here.

Thank you for trying, Garbo.  It can wait til I'm off of work.

Juana

Dammit. Sorry, Roger. For future reference, which photo sites can you see?

President Television

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on November 06, 2012, 06:16:07 PM

How about now?

Wait. How's there an irregularity in Alberta? This was an American election, if I recall correctly.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on November 06, 2012, 06:19:53 PM
Dammit. Sorry, Roger. For future reference, which photo sites can you see?

I can see it on PD's site, and there's one or two others.  But most image hosting sites are blocked for me.

Luna

Oh, Arizona...

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/11/05/republican-candidates-robocalls-tell-ariz-democrats-wrong-polling-place/?utm_source=Raw+Story+Daily+Update&utm_campaign=743ad08a61-Monday_Day_Election_11_5_2012&utm_medium=email

More than a half dozen Democrats in Scottsdale, Arizona have come forward to say that they received automated telephone calls — or robocalls — from Rep. Jeff Flake's (R-AZ) Senate campaign that told them to vote in the wrong place.

"It was totally wrong," lifelong Democrat Mary Crecco told KPNX. "And I feel like it was done purposely."

The robocall, which said it was sponsored by Flake's campaign, told Crecco to vote at Immanuel Bible Church, but her actual polling place is three miles away at Copper Canyon Elementary.

Other Democrats said they were informed that their polling places were up to 11 miles away from where they were supposed to vote.

For its part, the Flake campaign denied that Democratic voters were being targeted, insisting that only households with Republicans voters had been called.

"We had less than 10 voters contact the office with questions," Flake spokesperson Andrew Wilder said. "The only Democrats who would have received the call should be those that line in a Republican household."

But Crecco argued that no Republicans lived at her residence.

"Allegations like this where people are trying to disrupt the system — in this case Congressman Flake's team — really are detrimental to the Democratic process," Arizona Senate candidate Richard Carmona explained to KPNX.

A survey released by Public Policy Polling on Sunday found that Flake was leading Carmona by 5 points.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Juana

Quote from: Uncle Wallified on November 06, 2012, 06:20:56 PM
Wait. How's there an irregularity in Alberta? This was an American election, if I recall correctly.
The comment says "I should be able to vote in this even though I'm not an American. This stuff is important."

Juana

The Spanish version of the Maricopa county (I think?) flier listed the wrong date, even though the English one did so correctly.

President Television

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on November 06, 2012, 06:25:26 PM
Quote from: Uncle Wallified on November 06, 2012, 06:20:56 PM
The comment says "I should be able to vote in this even though I'm not an American. This stuff is important."

Ah, self-reported. That would explain how they've gathered the information this soon to begin with.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Elder Iptuous

wtf kind of name is 'True the Vote'?

also, are they claiming that their constituency is the sort that would stand in line for hours to vote, only to be successfully bribed by a bottle of water?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on November 06, 2012, 06:32:07 PM
wtf kind of name is 'True the Vote'?

It sounds better than "NO BLACKS VOTE, PLS.  KTHXBAI".