News:

Yes we're horrible toxic people, because this is 2020's Mental Illness Olympics, and the winners get a free pass on giving life-threatening advice with the bonus of having zero accountability for their shit behaviour.

Main Menu

Looks like we could have another Hail Bob!

Started by Suu, November 13, 2012, 04:51:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

I'm sure you all remember Hale-Bopp, and if you don't, you were either blind or didn't go outside much at night in 1997, it was probably one of the most beautiful natural phenomena I have ever witnessed in my life. Either way, next year their predicting a comet that could be of equal brilliance.

Meet ISON, the next sun-diving comet:

http://earthsky.org/space/big-sun-diving-comet-ison-might-be-spectacular-in-2013

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

That will be exciting. And it will be visible from both hemispheres, awesome sauce!
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIRâ„¢
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Suu

YES! The Northern Hemisphere got Hail Bob in 97, the Southern Hemisphere got Reverend Lovejoy last year, and now we can both enjoy Iceman.

I wish I would have seen Lovejoy, the tail apparently stretched halfway across the sky.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Nephew Twiddleton

Are there going to be any mass suicides for this one?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Suu on November 13, 2012, 04:51:57 AM
I'm sure you all remember Hale-Bopp, and if you don't, you were either blind or didn't go outside much at night in 1997, it was probably one of the most beautiful natural phenomena I have ever witnessed in my life. Either way, next year their predicting a comet that could be of equal brilliance.

Meet ISON, the next sun-diving comet:

http://earthsky.org/space/big-sun-diving-comet-ison-might-be-spectacular-in-2013

IT WAS A BARELY-VISIBLE WHITE DOT MOVING SLOWLY ACROSS THE SKY.

Your standards for natural beauty are weird.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

It was brilliant as hell in Florida.  :? My parents have pictures we took of it from a disposable camera, I'll see if I can find them when I'm down there next month and scan them.

I seriously remember it looking a clear as this (picture from St. Petersburg.) We could see the two tails with the naked eye.

Suu

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on November 13, 2012, 04:31:47 PM
Are there going to be any mass suicides for this one?

Probably.

My mom already said she's getting her roll of quarters to deal with the Scientologists again. She worked a "function" of theirs during Hale-Bopp's perihelion and they paid her entirely in rolls of quarters.  :?

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Suu

And totally unsurprising when this shit happens, living in Clearwater and all.

Bruno

Is there a "Sharia Law" equivalent in Scientology?
Formerly something else...

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Emo Howard on November 13, 2012, 08:13:53 PM
That's a really good question....
from what little i know of the organization, it would surprise me if the didn't have their own internal conflict resolution system...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Suu on November 13, 2012, 07:24:13 PM
It was brilliant as hell in Florida.  :? My parents have pictures we took of it from a disposable camera, I'll see if I can find them when I'm down there next month and scan them.

I seriously remember it looking a clear as this (picture from St. Petersburg.) We could see the two tails with the naked eye.

While this video was taken in New York, this is exactly what it looked like in Portland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CKK7Oe1w4A
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

Hmm, I wonder if latitude had something to do with it, perhaps? I know it was far less visible in the Southern Hemisphere, so you would think it would be the other way around with Florida being so far south.

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on November 13, 2012, 08:18:46 PM
Quote from: Emo Howard on November 13, 2012, 08:13:53 PM
That's a really good question....
from what little i know of the organization, it would surprise me if the didn't have their own internal conflict resolution system...

I'm honestly not sure. Most non-Scientologists in Clearwater stay the fuck away from them. My mom just got stuck working several of their events at a restaurant in Tampa.