News:

We can't help you...in fact, we're part of the problem.

Main Menu

Mah furst evur webkomik

Started by Dildo Argentino, November 28, 2012, 10:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pæs

Quote from: holist on December 02, 2012, 07:54:16 AM
Of course, it's also a bit of a sleight of hand... I was talking to iptous, so while funny, the comic lies about me. Which makes it propaganda? Maybe not quite.
It also suggests that Roger enjoyed your comic once you explained it, so I feel like I balanced the injustice that was done by misrepresenting the conversation.

The comic reminds me of Fred Basset, in that it establishes characters going about what we infer are fairly typical behaviours for those characters. It feels like the setup for a clever twist and we buy into it despite the stereotype being played upon because we're anticipating some interesting juxtaposition, reversal or any sort of surprise at all. And then the scene ends.

Fred Basset:

And another:

It may be that it was interesting the first time I recognised the scenarios portrayed in your comic as recurring themes and that my disinterest could be explained as overexposure.

Because I find nothing particularly noteworthy in the dialogue of the first comic (I don't think enough is done to establish brainy and verbose vs determined and down to earth, those characters weren't communicated to me at all) , the message I get is "it's common for couples to disagree about things... and further, disagree about how to approach those disagreements" but I cannot think of any packaging in which this message would entertain me.

It probably does communicate that  "attempts at communication in a busy marriage can go awry through no fault of either party other than, possibly, slight and easily forgiven negligence" but you could have typed that on a blank background and entertained me equally.

Similarly with the second comic, sure, object-management skills and duties are often distributed unequally in relationships... but I am left desiring a point, as Iptuous was. I don't think that ambiguity is, by itself, a source of humour. It can be funny when, for example, the intended messages is contrasted with a dirty or absurd interpretation... but it's not funny just because it's ambiguous.

I have, in my experience as a comedian, not had an audience whose entertainment I would anticipate in response to these comics but that may be down to my own indifference to the material or some cultural difference I am unaware of.

MMIX

I"m not seeing the ambiguity that people are talking about, anyone care to elucidate? Also the comedy that tickles me personally is the type that riffs off familiarity and recognition, and I get that from both of these.
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: holist on December 02, 2012, 07:57:25 AM
Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on December 01, 2012, 10:42:08 PM
If you fail to reach the audience, then you have failed. And your comic did. Your totally insufferable response to critiques is no one likes you. If you want worship, then a) don't post it here because slobbering praise is not in PD's make up, and b) don't ask us to "slag it" if you're gonna refuse all suggestions anyway.

Well boo-hoo, but not quite. I produced some pictures. I showed it some people. Most found them funny in an understated way, some encouraged me to exhibit them. One bunch of people, in a bizarre corner of my life, who are largely rather hostile towards me for other reasons, decided it wasn't worth shit.

Story of the artists life, really.

I don't mind it being slagged, but I think the only valid criticism offered so far was offered by Iptous, at the beginning. "I don't get it"', "It sucks" and "It's not funny" are not valid forms of criticism, and if they are offered as such (rather than opinion, which is what they are), that really only speaks about the person(s) offering them. Not nicely.  :lulz:

Oh, so now "it sucks" is not a valid form of criticism?  :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: Hypocrite.

For the record, I didn't find your comics funny, and I'm not seeing the alleged "ambiguity" you claim makes them funny.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: FROTISTED FUDGE CAK on December 02, 2012, 05:50:26 PM
Oh, so now "it sucks" is not a valid form of criticism?  :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: Hypocrite.

It was offered as an opinion. The criticism came later. Twid didn't respond to it, as far as I know, but it was there.

For the record, I didn't find your comics funny, and I'm not seeing the alleged "ambiguity" you claim makes them funny.

Noted.
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: holist on December 02, 2012, 05:55:27 PM

It was offered as an opinion. The criticism came later. Twid didn't respond to it, as far as I know, but it was there.

Noted.

Check your unlimited thread. When you finally did give a something more than "it sucks" I had a rebuttal.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on December 02, 2012, 08:09:47 PM

Noted.

Check your unlimited thread. When you finally did give a something more than "it sucks" I had a rebuttal.

Sorry. If you would be so kind as to direct me to it, I would be very grateful. I am atrociously busy right now, sorry. I'll owe you a little.

Dildo Argentino

Also, there is my latest blogpost (http://blog.holist.hu/?p=866)! It have picture in it:

http://blog.holist.hu/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/BrunoandNaomi3x-1024x767.jpg

Any comments? Better? Even worse? Differently bad? Different?  :lulz:

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: holist on December 02, 2012, 08:23:25 PM
Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on December 02, 2012, 08:09:47 PM

Noted.

Sorry. If you would be so kind as to direct me to it, I would be very grateful. I am atrociously busy right now, sorry. I'll owe you a little.

Specifically this part. I snipped the rest.

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on December 01, 2012, 08:58:26 AM
Oh, we're doing this here?

QuoteI thought this would be a good opportunity to break the news to you: your band is not particularly talented, the music you produce is without interesting distinguishing features (twelve to a dozen, as they say)

Perhaps not. I leave that to the listener who isn't a fucking asshole for the sake of being an asshole.

Quoteyour understanding (as a band) of harmony, melody and rhythm is minimal at best: music may not be the field for you, despite the fact that you decided to hang most of your personality on 'being a musician' for a few years. I just shortened this to "your music sucks" for dramatic effect.

Aside for your "dramatic effect" you're way off base here. Perhaps my specific understanding of music theory is limited (it's not), but regardless, we do have a member who is a music major. With a degree. And a well sought after musician in the Boston area. And said member wouldn't put up with shitty composition. Just saying. I'd be willing to entertain you saying "I know you have two guitarists and I'm guessing you're the shitty one" but the suggestion that we, as a group, have no understanding of harmony, melody OR rhythm, shows that you're really speaking about your own skill set. Sorry. Just outed yourself as a musical idiot. Calling you on it.

Nephew Twiddleton

As for owing me a little, you can pay that back by us going back to ignoring each other.

Nephew Twiddleton

Hell, you may have a point with the idea that there's nothing that makes us pop out as a group. Everyone sounds the same sort of thing. But the rest of it kinda takes your argument into the territory of being an asshole intentionally.

Pæs

Quote from: holist on December 02, 2012, 08:25:48 PM
Also, there is my latest blogpost (http://blog.holist.hu/?p=866)! It have picture in it:

With the dialogue supplied in the blog post? Still bad. I'm not sure it's differently bad.

This one feels less imitative of reality than the previous ones. The dialogue is emotionless and empty.
Because I haven't had much to do with you, I'm not sure whether outside of this format you are a very funny person. I haven't seen any evidence of your sense of comic timing, which is an important thing to bring to a comic narrative.

You came closest with Bruno's "I see. Thanks." I think if that had been a funny punchline, it could have done with a beat (pause: in a comic it's often a panel without dialogue) before the delivery of the line.

Pæs

QuoteBruno: Do you think that is barking up the wrong tree? I'm increasingly suspicious, but it's hard to let go of it.

Naomi: I like this one. Really. Bruno, I think this, too, can be a viable avenue to explore.

Do you talk like this in real life? Something about the structure of these sentences (it may be that they feel like a poor translation, quiet unnatural to read) leads to my reading them rather than hearing them from the characters.

Dildo Argentino

Quote from: Pæs on December 02, 2012, 08:47:37 PM
QuoteBruno: Do you think that is barking up the wrong tree? I'm increasingly suspicious, but it's hard to let go of it.

Naomi: I like this one. Really. Bruno, I think this, too, can be a viable avenue to explore.

Do you talk like this in real life? Something about the structure of these sentences (it may be that they feel like a poor translation, quiet unnatural to read) leads to my reading them rather than hearing them from the characters.

No, we don't. The second two sentences are actually from a couple of emails we exchanged with somebody else. The first two we made up, but no, we don't talk like that. Good Heavens. It is translated with a kind of pretentious tone, slightly off, on purpose. It's actually my kind of funny, though on a scale of ten I would only rate it 5 or 6. But I think it's an impossible idea to only make really good ones. (FYI, I think the first one, with its self-reference and inanity, is great. But I do have rather strange tastes.)

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: holist on December 02, 2012, 08:25:48 PM

I like the image. The dialogue, I do not get at all. It leaves me going  :?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

iSPEAKonlyFORthe23

Quote from: holist on November 30, 2012, 05:07:58 PM
Quote from: Elder Iptuous on November 30, 2012, 04:54:21 PM
humor is frequently found in the tension between some point and its obscurity due to some vagueness which is then pierced.  otherwise it's nonsense, which can be aesthetically pleasing in its own right.

...can be.

hmm. So my explanations about what the points are are not worthy of comment?

You explained the setup. There is no point.
These webcomics are half-done, at best. And I'm not talking about the stylistic choices you have chosen to pursuit.
But more on that they aren't jokes. They may classify as observations, but not amusing ones.
And I am alternative comedy, so don't even try any "oh but you don't understand" or any of that bullshit.
I'm the kind of person who can point exactly at the je-ne-sais-quoi, and you're comic, while weird and
kinda going for the lame-funny, does not have that little extra. And in this specific case, that little extra would be "the funny".