News:

PD.com - you don't even believe in nihilism anymore

Main Menu

We Had To Let Harry Go, Redux

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, January 11, 2013, 04:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Coyote

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on January 16, 2013, 03:43:12 PM
I've worked in restaurants and stores where excess food at the end of the day was donated to a homeless shelter. Sure, it requires a tiny bit of expense (putting food into covered hot pans and paying an employee to drive it to the shelter) but for roughly $8, the restaurant got to feed twenty or so people every day who otherwise would have gone hungry.

My friend runs a bakery, and he does the same thing with leftover baked goods at the end of the day.

The Frantz bakery here in Portland takes its day-olds to the community college lounge for struggling students to take home.

There are plenty of ways to alleviate waste without creating a disease risk or social problem.

BUT NIGEL THAT REQUIRES WORK TO BE DONE AFTER WORK!!!!!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Wiley Quixote on January 16, 2013, 04:07:38 PM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on January 16, 2013, 03:43:12 PM
I've worked in restaurants and stores where excess food at the end of the day was donated to a homeless shelter. Sure, it requires a tiny bit of expense (putting food into covered hot pans and paying an employee to drive it to the shelter) but for roughly $8, the restaurant got to feed twenty or so people every day who otherwise would have gone hungry.

My friend runs a bakery, and he does the same thing with leftover baked goods at the end of the day.

The Frantz bakery here in Portland takes its day-olds to the community college lounge for struggling students to take home.

There are plenty of ways to alleviate waste without creating a disease risk or social problem.

BUT NIGEL THAT REQUIRES WORK TO BE DONE AFTER WORK!!!!!

:horrormirth: Unfortunately, that does seem to be the way a lot of people look at it. My friend had to fire one of his drivers because she was too fucking lazy to drive to the shelter at the end of the day, and was just THROWING THE BREAD OUT THE TRUCK WINDOW instead.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

I was in Portland a lonnnnng time ago and they were pretty progressive about feeding people. They had a cafe called Sisters of the Road where a plate was always $1 and coffee was always ten cents. Google tells me it still exists, but it might be different now. All they ever dished up was chili and cheese on a bed of rice, but it was a buck.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Freeky

Most of this thread is D:  :sad: except the bits of humanitarianism which is awesome.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Wuli Fufu on January 16, 2013, 07:48:38 PM
I was in Portland a lonnnnng time ago and they were pretty progressive about feeding people. They had a cafe called Sisters of the Road where a plate was always $1 and coffee was always ten cents. Google tells me it still exists, but it might be different now. All they ever dished up was chili and cheese on a bed of rice, but it was a buck.

You can live for a long time on chili and cheese.  Beats having your belly button kissing your spine.

And that's the bitch of it, right?  This isn't calculus.  You take people, make sure they've got a place to sleep, enough to eat, maybe not get their head caved in by muggers and shit.

"The gunner's dream", as some spag once described it.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Pergamos

Food not bombs is a good organization for distributing that stuff (expired food).  If there is one in the area they'll come and pick it up and distribute it.  They only take vegan stuff though.

A lot of local food pantries will as well, but not all of them.  I know in my area the Salvation army will not.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 16, 2013, 09:20:20 PM

You can live for a long time on chili and cheese.  Beats having your belly button kissing your spine.

And that's the bitch of it, right?  This isn't calculus.  You take people, make sure they've got a place to sleep, enough to eat, maybe not get their head caved in by muggers and shit.

"The gunner's dream", as some spag once described it.

Chili and cheese is damn good. :D And they were apparently filling up styrofoam to-go plates for a buck each and making enough to stay open. 
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yep, it's still around!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."