News:

It's a bad decade to be bipedal, soft and unarmed.

Main Menu

The Last Whiskey Bar

Started by Suu, December 04, 2012, 03:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 19, 2012, 05:36:34 PM
Quote from: hølist on December 19, 2012, 05:35:35 PM
I have to go downtown today, and the threat of "snow" is hovering.

At least I'm taking the streetcar. I may have to stand in the cold for an hour as that thing follows no discernible schedule, but at least if it "snows" I won't die.

Does it actually snow in Portland, or does it just fall from the sky as polluted, grey slush?

That's Providence snow, what you just described there.

Wait, doesn't it also occasionally snow in Tucson?
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Suu on December 19, 2012, 05:59:47 PM

At least I'm taking the streetcar. I may have to stand in the cold for an hour as that thing follows no discernible schedule, but at least if it "snows" I won't die.

Does it actually snow in Portland, or does it just fall from the sky as polluted, grey slush?

That's Providence snow, what you just described there.

Wait, doesn't it also occasionally snow in Tucson?

Every 5 years or so.  But it doesn't stick.

Up in the Catalinas, it snows every year.  So you can go sledding in the morning, then come back down and jump in the pool.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oh, no, everything is very clean and beautiful here. It falls from the sky in the form of a sparking white Pandora's box of danger. It's very picturesque, with the bridges and the evergreens and the people panicking.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Every year, I try to explain to people who have just moved here from someplace where it actually snows. That stuff falling from the sky LOOKS like snow, but it doesn't really snow here. Sometimes people have to be here a few years before they experience it because it doesn't happen every year. I can't really describe what happens, except to say that as soon as it starts, people try to get home as fast as possible because everything can go really bad in the space of an hour.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

There was one winter where we were trapped inside for a week because there was no even vaguely reasonably safe way to get to street level, and if I'd been able to get to street level it wasn't safe to walk.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: hølist on December 19, 2012, 06:14:42 PM
Every year, I try to explain to people who have just moved here from someplace where it actually snows. That stuff falling from the sky LOOKS like snow, but it doesn't really snow here. Sometimes people have to be here a few years before they experience it because it doesn't happen every year. I can't really describe what happens, except to say that as soon as it starts, people try to get home as fast as possible because everything can go really bad in the space of an hour.

Every winter, flying unicorns poop all over Portland.  While beautiful and spiritually invigorating, it makes the ground slippery, and causes people to drive like they've had 6 martinis for lunch.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Don Coyote

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 19, 2012, 06:18:00 PM

Every winter, flying unicorns poop all over Portland.  While beautiful and spiritually invigorating, it makes the ground slippery, and causes people to drive like they've had 6 martinis for lunch.

:lulz: Something like that.

I have to admit that sometimes I kind of hope for freezing rain, so that I have an excuse to not go anywhere.

But I don't really hope for it, because the trees crushing things and the power outages and not having any heat in my house and having to live on whatever foods are in my pantry are not very fun.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: hølist on December 19, 2012, 06:42:09 PM

I have to admit that sometimes I kind of hope for freezing rain, so that I have an excuse to not go anywhere.

But I don't really hope for it, because the trees crushing things and the power outages and not having any heat in my house and having to live on whatever foods are in my pantry are not very fun.

Just think:  In Norway1, they have to live like that all the time.

1  It's a Northern suburb of Belgium.

Pæs

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pæs on December 19, 2012, 06:50:56 PM
Quote from: H0list on December 19, 2012, 06:20:30 PM
iam now also paes
Oh good. Should I be someone else?

Don't listen to him.  He's trying to steal your woman.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 19, 2012, 06:44:24 PM
Quote from: hølist on December 19, 2012, 06:42:09 PM

Just think:  In Norway1, they have to live like that all the time.

1  It's a Northern suburb of Belgium.

:lulz:

Pæs

TOO MANY HOLISTS. WHY CAN'T WE JUST HAVE ONE HOLISTIC HOLIST.

Nephew Twiddleton

Party was not bad though i think my attraction to one of my coworkers might have been noticeable. Hopefully not. No pizza in the radio i just figured i could purge the madness later. Got a gift for villagers roommate in yankee swap.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS