News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

I was given Venison...

Started by Suu, December 04, 2012, 05:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

What do?

It's a fairly good sized piece. My boyfriend got it from his boss, from what I understand it's pretty fresh, and the boyfriend moved it from the freezer to the fridge yesterday, so it's thawed and needs to be cooked. I know you can't go wrong with the classic salt/pepper/garlic, but I'm open to other options.

Edit: Package says it's a roast.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

LMNO

If you ask ECH, he'll tell you to throw it away, and buy a hangar steak.  So don't ask him.

Venison is lean, gamey, and will overcook in a heartbeat.  Either a fast sear, or a long braise.  It will hold up very well to strong flavors, so rosemary or sage will pair well.  Deer also eat pretty much what goes into gin, so I've seen a few recipes that deglaze with a splash of it.

Suu

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 04, 2012, 06:06:23 PM
If you ask ECH, he'll tell you to throw it away, and buy a hangar steak.  So don't ask him.

Venison is lean, gamey, and will overcook in a heartbeat.  Either a fast sear, or a long braise.  It will hold up very well to strong flavors, so rosemary or sage will pair well.  Deer also eat pretty much what goes into gin, so I've seen a few recipes that deglaze with a splash of it.

Yeah, my brother called me in response to my Facebook post. He basically said since I don't know if it's doe or buck, to brine just in case, I can use our homebrewed apple cider or beer in place of vinegar in the brine, hit it with salt/pepper/garlic and pan sear the outside before throwing it to braise with more cider/beer if we want. then deglaze with spiced rum and add cream.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

LMNO

That's a bit heavy for my tastes, but it does sound pretty good.

I'm gonna be roasting some delicata squash with thyme, and then searing up some steak with mushrooms, shallots and a hint of red wine.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Shucks, all we ever did was toss it in a skillet and add a can of Cream of Mushroom soup. All y'all are so fancy in your eats.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Suu

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 04, 2012, 06:48:26 PM
That's a bit heavy for my tastes, but it does sound pretty good.

I'm gonna be roasting some delicata squash with thyme, and then searing up some steak with mushrooms, shallots and a hint of red wine.

oooh...

East Coast Hustle

I already responded on your FB thread, but I forgot to add that if you do braise it you need to season it with s&p first, rub it with olive oil, and sear it until it's nicely browned before you throw it in to braise. Your boy James pretty much had it dead to rights - I mostly just aped what he already said.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I used to be mighty fond of venison, but I've never done a roast. Let us know how it is.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

I'm going to set it in the brine tomorrow and tell the boyfriend DO NOT TOUCH. My brother and dad got in an argument while on the phone with me about what to do with it. Brother said brine, dad said soak it in milk. Brother is a chef. Brother wins (and also told me just about the same thing ECH and my friend on Facebook said.)

East Coast Hustle

If it's REALLY gamey, milk will help leach some of that out. But it won't do anything to help break down the connective tissues, which you'll need if it's pretty much any cut but a backstrap. That's what the brine is for.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

You could put it in a bag and cook it at a really low temperature.

All the great chefs do that.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 05, 2012, 04:44:53 PM

AUTOCLAVE IT.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: holist~ on December 05, 2012, 10:53:20 PM

AUTOCLAVE IT.

My dad did that with a canned turkey, on a Canadian research vessel, once.  True story.  It wasn't pretty, but he healed without scars.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 06, 2012, 12:01:43 AM

AUTOCLAVE IT.

My dad did that with a canned turkey, on a Canadian research vessel, once.  True story.  It wasn't pretty, but he healed without scars.

:horrormirth: :horrormirth: :horrormirth:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: hølist on December 06, 2012, 02:32:51 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 06, 2012, 12:01:43 AM

AUTOCLAVE IT.

:horrormirth: :horrormirth: :horrormirth:

On another Thanksgiving, this one at home with us, he had had this BRILLIANT idea of buying a big-ass turkey in July (they were pretty expensive in Newfoundland, back then), and jamming it in the cryofreezer at work until October (Canada insists on jumping the gun, Thanksgiving-wise.  They even moved the 4th of July to the 1st, just to be assholes).

So he brings it home, and puts it in the fridge to thaw.  The next morning, the fridge was entirely frozen shut.  I think I was about 6-7 at this time, and I remember it being an epiphany.  Hey...Adults can fuck shit up just as much as I can.  More.  They have better resources with which to fuck shit up.